Birmingham - Genting Arena (Feb. 27, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Suedehead / I Wish You Lonely / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Hold On To Your Friends / Home Is A Question Mark / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

• Morrissey on irresistible form at the Genting Arena - review, setlist and more by James Rodger (5 photos) - Birmingham Live. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42353_birmingham.jpg
  • Morrissey, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review with pics by Tom Oakley (12 photos by Dave Cox) - Express & Star. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey review – this once charming man by Kitty Empire (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Andrew Fox) - The Observer. Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post).

Last edited:
Here’s the sad thing: by common consent, he seeems to be in the finest voice, possibly of his life. I get that he unflinchingly wants to sing his new material, and kudos to him for that. But it will be a source of no little sadness if we don’t get a reprise of some of the diamonds in his back-catalogue when he is in such fine fettle. Imagine TIALTNGO, still ill, I know it’s over, my dearest love even, while the pipes run golden. Sigh.
Yes. Also the Never Played Symphonies, I Can Have Both, We'll let you Know, Come Back to Camden.... so many great songs I'd love to hear while he's in such fine fettle. But now imagine them again with that band. It's like putting a black sock in with your white wash and having everything come out the same murky shade. Everything sounds the bloody same, and that's my biggest bugbear with this band, even above Jesse's considerable shortcomings. Think of any song and you can pretty much imagine how it will sound. It wasn't always this way, as you can see when you look back at the old concert footage. Something has been lost.

It's my greatest wish for him before the voice goes that he teams up with some new musicians with a spark of life and a desire to mix up the arrangements beyond thump-crash-strum. But I guess you can't have everything, and maybe we should just be grateful for the voice.

Yes. Also the Never Played Symphonies, I Can Have Both, We'll let you Know, Come Back to Camden.... so many great songs I'd love to hear while he's in such fine fettle. But now imagine them again with that band. It's like putting a black sock in with your white wash and having everything come out the same murky shade. Everything sounds the bloody same, and that's my biggest bugbear with this band, even above Jesse's considerable shortcomings. Think of any song and you can pretty much imagine how it will sound. It wasn't always this way, as you can see when you look back at the old concert footage. Something has been lost.

It's my greatest wish for him before the voice goes that he teams up with some new musicians with a spark of life and a desire to mix up the arrangements beyond thump-crash-strum. But I guess you can't have everything, and maybe we should just be grateful for the voice.

To each there own but still I’ll sounded great when I saw it performed not to to long ago

I wouldn't offer an explanation for the general lethargy I observed yesterday - there's far too many variables to pin it to one thing.
Morrissey’s voice is what I remember over everything.
There were a lot of younger people amongst us decrepit types and I always like to think seeing him for the first time live might spark an interest for them for much longer - exactly as I did 'way back then'.
The venue, itself, is soulless - I will avoid it as much as possible in the future. The old Academy (RIP) or Symphony Hall saw many more vibrant audience reactions.
Only 3 years have passed since SER posted this video:

Which does leave me wondering what's changed, but I suspect some things may remain a mystery.
Regards,
Never drinking on a weekday night again.
FWD.

Last edited:
For the attention of etc:

You're no internet demon mate you are a prat who a) Isn't at all funny and b) Hasn't anything remotely interesting to say. You need to pull up your pants, step away from the keyboard, take a good look in the mirror and try to get out more. Music is a simple thing to be enjoyed and Morrissey's music is wasted on a knob like you. If you don't like it then just don't listen. Why waste your life writing long passages of sh*te like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is loaded with old people's rants. Please accept the behaviour of the new generation, which in fact is quite civilized and it's a sign they went there just to enjoy the artist and his music. Besides, you old people seem to have a lot of problems with "girlfriends". Well, get used to it. We are here to stay.
Did you really have to remind us?

The Young Snowflake Bandwagon Jumpers! I would go see them if they played some up beat music that I could dance to. Calamine...is this you? If it is, classic...if not you have a posting twin here.

When Kurt shot himself I thought what a waste, but at the same time it seemed inevitable. So many great artists only to make it to the tender age of 27. Moz has more than doubled down on this and I am glad he stuck it out. Life is an unwinnable fight. So why bother trying? Because there is plenty of time to be dead. I am just glad we are all here to express our thoughts and feelings no matter how enthusiastic or cynical they may be.

ZTXvenN.jpg
Jesus wept!

This thread is loaded with old people's rants. Please accept the behaviour of the new generation, which in fact is quite civilized and it's a sign they went there just to enjoy the artist and his music. Besides, you old people seem to have a lot of problems with "girlfriends". Well, get used to it. We are here to stay.
Until you find yourself covered in a burqa and your night out consist of making tea for your husband along with his other 5 wives. Until then by no means go out and enjoy yourself but do you really have to be that boring?
The kids have been destroyed by tv shows for the middle class.

I agree despite being (quite) old. Morrissey is not the same person he was 20 to 25 years ago. Nor are his audience. Times change, trends move on. Nothing sadder when I was younger than seeing someone who should be old enough to know better barge their way to the front and then struggle with the madness of the front rows due to being relatively unfit.

If you want a mosh pit go and see Napalm Death or something
Said the football hooligan fron Cardiff, oh the irony!

Is it just me as I'm nonplussed with the Low in High School album :confused:
Not just you. It certainly seems to be dividing people. I'm pretty nonplussed with a big chunk of it. Weirdly I can't stand all the ones most people seem to like (Home is a Q, I Wish You Lonely, My Love, I Bury, Who Will Protect) and quite like some of the ones people say mark the point where the album goes wrong (Spent, In Your Lap, The Girl From Tel Aviv, Israel). I guess that's called personal taste.

Mobile phones and unwilling to let their hair down, the young ones are preparing for life at the care home when old. This young generation will pretend to be 55 in the way they act and dress and then the midlife crisis will hit them hard and they will be chasing after young meat like crazy and be found jumping at the front row at a gig despite never learning how to.
I have heard a lot about them not being able to take criticism at work and bosses wondering what planet they come from. The average person from this young generation walk into a company and the first question they ask is "what can you do for me?".
The future looks really good, doesn't it?

Is it just me as I'm nonplussed with the Low in High School album :confused:
You aren't alone. And for anybody going "Why are the crowds so lifeless?" Maybe it's the overwhelming portion of LIHS and WP material dumped on them night after night. He can try bashing crowds over the head with his "genius" all he wants, but when Swords era B-sides are highlights, maybe try a little fan service. Just a little sprinkled throughout. And imagine their poor road crew setting up a f***ing digeridoo night after night just so Gustavo can make flatulent noises to introduce that flatulent song. Jesus... And don't even get me started on the gong...

No sweetie you are here to fail and if you ever get to grow old whenever that is in your mind it will be pretty different from how you see it now. If you are lucky you will have bigger opportunities and more money and be sure about yourself and everything else you do not have now. Thing is this world now is not at all geared for young people who are flipping burgers to be able to have a posh handbag and a mortgage and yes even the boys wear make up and carry a handbag. Maybe your well documented desillusion when it comes to men your own age is a clue as to what times you find yourself living in. The fun you miss when young will never come back and at least I had fun and experienced something then unlike you who sit on this website and moan like someone older than me.

You aren't alone. And for anybody going "Why are the crowds so lifeless?" Maybe it's the overwhelming portion of LIHS and WP material dumped on them night after night. He can try bashing crowds over the head with his "genius" all he wants, but when Swords era B-sides are highlights, maybe try a little fan service. Just a little sprinkled throughout. And imagine their poor road crew setting up a f***ing digeridoo night after night just so Gustavo can make flatulent noises to introduce that flatulent song. Jesus... And don't even get me started on the gong...
But please enjoy a bong cause you seem to be in big need of one but please lay off the graffiti.

How on earth can people go to a Moz gig in 2018 and expect is to be as good as in the 90's which was the last time him and his fans were truly relevant. I saw him in 2002 and 2006 and despite a few moments it was like seeing Frank Sinatra pacing the stage. People not enjoying themselves might have to do with venues getting bombed and being on full alert all the time. You simply cannot go out and relax anymore so what terrorism did was to steal the youth from the kids today. So glad I was young when it was still possible. There is absolutely nothing to feel envy of when it comes to the young ones today and in fact I feel sorry for them, I really do.

Hey Countthree, easy on the ageism there!
It's the attitude not the age that's the issue.
Arseholery is blind.
Anyway, don't forget, the very man you went to see perform is also 'of an age'.

BUT, unlike some people here, Morrissey likes younger generations and he accepts them just as they are.

BUT, unlike some people here, Morrissey likes younger generations and he accepts them just as they are.
He likes no one but himself and doesn't exactly hide it either and the one you responded to is right cause you young ones always confuse age with attitude which is what this is all about. A big reason for the young ones being the way they are is cause they unlike older generations never had to do military service for their country and so they mentally are still kids. I can just see what would happen if we had a big crisis and these kids would search for an app to save them.

Nothing like a bit of ageism from someone bemoaning ageism. You don't even know the ages of people posting here. If people in their 30's and 40's are old then I feel sorry for you, because it will happen to you before you know it. We are not whinging about the new generation, we are whinging about the way cretins behave at concerts and the modern fascination with being seen to be seen. If you can't acknowledge that as a fact I don't know what to say. I find most twenty something's very likable and far more sophisticated and aware than I was at that age, and probably I'd say the same for teenagers. At the same time, there is a contingent of people who have zero attention span and would hack off an arm before giving up their phone. Now what was I saying again? p.s. I'm writing this on a laptop, just to be different.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom