Billy Fury cover story in Vintage Rock magazine (issue 61, Feb/Mar 2023) - Morrissey mention

[Originally posted in Strange/unexpected Moz references?]

Morrissey mention in the cover story on Billy Fury in the latest Vintage Rock magazine (issue 61, Feb/Mar 2023).

IMG_20230131_134634.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for above.
Digital version:

full

Regards,
FWD.

Thanks for sharing that. A very shy, soft spoken man, who was taken away far too early at the age of 42. He retired from pop music to look after animals. No wonder Moz loved the guy...

Thanks for sharing that. A very shy, soft spoken man, who was taken away far too early at the age of 42. He retired from pop music to look after animals. No wonder Moz loved the guy...

your right gash,shyness really is nice when its attached to someone like billy,just looks like a nice humble human being who died far too young.

as usual sticking the boot in at the end,can these people not help themselves.

I've always loved Smiths single covers. They are so special and unique.
Speaking of "covers" it is kind of strange Morrissey never did a covers album of his favourite singers that appeared on his sleeves. Diana Dors, Billy Fury... Oh wait. I have just discovered most of them are not singers but actors. I tried to look up http://www.vulgarpicture.com/ but it's now just spinning records minus the sleeves. What a shame because it was a great site.

Speaking of "covers" it is kind of strange Morrissey never did a covers album of his favourite singers that appeared on his sleeves. Diana Dors, Billy Fury... Oh wait. I have just discovered most of them are not singers but actors. I tried to look up http://www.vulgarpicture.com/ but it's now just spinning records minus the sleeves. What a shame because it was a great site.
The wiki on this site has some up-to-date info on cover stars:

Great stroll down Memory Lane with the URL. Reminds me of the web days before Youtube, and sites like Arcane Old Wardrobe, Cemetry Gates, etc. I don't know if those any of those sites are still up honestly.

I'm pretty sure that the Cemetry Gates site was where I first heard a small .wav clip of Boy For My Birthday. It was just the intro & first verse, but it was special. Fast forward twenty years and now we can enjoy the whole song.

Lovely man, Billy, a charming package of lust and bewilderment who appears to have turned his wife either gay or into the arms of Kenny Everett depending on how you read the tea leaves.

ANYWAY, enough of that - we (Sullivan and myself, Bonaparte) wish to thank you all for declaring us to be WELL-KNOWN MEMBERS!

Sullivan made somewhat crude comment about his member being well-known for many a year but that's something best kept between himself and the rougher end of Lower Mosely Street (or in his trousers, for that matter).

STILL! We are where are and we LOVE YOUN ALL! Many thanks to Ketamine Sun, Janice, Phranc and Open, Famous When Dead et al - what lovely company you all are!

Feel free to buy us a bottle or two should our paths ever cross in the Turks Head (higher and lower), The Unicorn or even the Shakespeare.

Lovely man, Billy, a charming package of lust and bewilderment who appears to have turned his wife either gay or into the arms of Kenny Everett depending on how you read the tea leaves.

ANYWAY, enough of that - we (Sullivan and myself, Bonaparte) wish to thank you all for declaring us to be WELL-KNOWN MEMBERS!

Sullivan made somewhat crude comment about his member being well-known for many a year but that's something best kept between himself and the rougher end of Lower Mosely Street (or in his trousers, for that matter).

STILL! We are where are and we LOVE YOUN ALL! Many thanks to Ketamine Sun, Janice, Phranc and Open, Famous When Dead et al - what lovely company you all are!

Feel free to buy us a bottle or two should our paths ever cross in the Turks Head (higher and lower), The Unicorn or even the Shakespeare.
The Lower Turks Head and the Shakespeare. Them were the days:love:
2 of the bloody finest you are.

Last edited:
His song, Wondrous Place, was used for a TV ad for Toyota Yaris, from 1 min 5 seconds in here -

And he had more hit singles than the Beatles in the '60s - https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/billy-fury-interview/znnky9q

That brought back memories!
This is also a good documentary - narrated by Ian Dury no less. Brief Morrissey mention at the very end. It is interesting how Moz clearly modelled both his crooner singing style and his look in many photos etc. on Billy Fury. And of course Last Night I Dreamt obviously takes at least some inspiration from Fury's Once Upon A Dream.

Boz Boorer's 10-inch get's reviewed later in the same publication. He's released a new Record, 'Back to Neo'.

Attachments

• Boz.jpg
    Boz.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 0

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom