Billy Corgan mentions being a fan of The Smiths and meeting Johnny Marr

I've hesitated in the past to post these videos but I find it interesting when I band I love mentions another band I love and it doesn't happen as often we think or hope, does it? If you can't put up with Corgan whinging about how he hasn't been recognised enough for his contribution to music then skip to 4:40 to hear in context where he mentions Marr and The Smiths.

Love Billy. Enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy is a spoilt middle class brat. He went bald early and therefore hates life. Smashing Pumpkins, one of those 'a couple of good songs' bands that shit alt radio gives a career too. And let us not forget his sub Bauhaus meets The Killers effort, The Future Embrace. ZERO Billy, you wore it well.

Billy may be many things but spoiled and middle class are not among them. He grew up working class in a broken, abusive home. He had a sad childhood. Jimmy Chamberlin once remarked that the Pumpkins all shared "the same kind of upbringing, total white trash".

Never liked Smashing Pumpkins. They're shit. Some of the worst lyrics, too. So cringe. The type of stuff a 9 yr old boy would think was cool. "Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage..."

Jesus Christ.

Just to check, does every single mention of Smiths / Moz make front page news here? This is such a non-story. " tubby bald bellend from a faggy band mentions the smiths" yawn.

i like the pumpkins even if i agree with you in some of the lyrics. my problem with his recent work is that he keeps trying to slip me the future embrace. oceanias first five tracks were really good but it went a bit keyboardy for me after that. not bad and it picks back up but not as satisfying as past records.

For all personal opinions are worth in regards to music (that is, nothing), I blame Pearl Jam for destroying a decade of music (the 90s) almost single handedly. Nirvana might have been operating the other hand, and Red Hot Chili Peppers would have helped this wanton destruction of music if they could have figured out how to have any impact on music at all. Completely unlistenable bands, as far as I am concerned. SP, however, while not consistently good, did hit the mark at least a couple times.

I like Anderson as well. The beef started here.

Thanks for the link. I think this is a case of him being tongue-in-cheek and instead getting his tongue bit off. If this is all that was said...making a mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind. I thinkest Billy should tryeth not to take himself so seriously.

Last edited:
RHCP made the R & R Hall of Fame, an institution The Smiths failed to get into this year (& it was criminal that this site refused to prop voting for them on the fan ballot). If you don't like them that's fine, but they DID have an actual impact on music. And FWIW, Johnny Marr appeared on one of Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante's solo records.

For all personal opinions are worth in regards to music (that is, nothing), I blame Pearl Jam for destroying a decade of music (the 90s) almost single handedly. Nirvana might have been operating the other hand, and Red Hot Chili Peppers would have helped this wanton destruction of music if they could have figured out how to have any impact on music at all. Completely unlistenable bands, as far as I am concerned. SP, however, while not consistently good, did hit the mark at least a couple times.

People will DEFINITELY remember the Smashing Pumpkins years from now. Have you ever heard “Siamese Dream”? It’s great.

Unpopular opinion, but Billy Corgan doesn’t bother me like he does most people. I thought it was awesome that he raised all that money for the no-kill animal shelter and didn’t really even talk about it until he was confronted.

RHCP made the R & R Hall of Fame, an institution The Smiths failed to get into this year (& it was criminal that this site refused to prop voting for them on the fan ballot). If you don't like them that's fine, but they DID have an actual impact on music. And FWIW, Johnny Marr appeared on one of Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante's solo records.

Which really just proves that the R&RHOF has no value or impact either, particularly if gaining admittance is just a matter of rallying fans on a fansite to vote.

To call SP corporate sellouts is to misunderstand rock history.

No it's not. It was widely believed that those first two records (the LP and EP) were released on Caroline to try and gain indie cred, when in fact they were actually signed to Virgin the whole time.

Not saying it matters anymore (and probably never did), but SP were always viewed with suspicion in the Amerindie scene.

Thanks for the link. I think this is a case of him being tongue-in-cheek and instead getting his tongue bit off. If this is all that was said...making a mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind. I thinkest Billy should tryeth not to take himself so seriously.[/QUOTE]

Or stop making commercials for furniture stores in order to promote his independent wrestling company.

One or the other, but he cannot have both.

People will DEFINITELY remember the Smashing Pumpkins years from now. Have you ever heard “Siamese Dream”? It’s great.

Unpopular opinion, but Billy Corgan doesn’t bother me like he does most people. I thought it was awesome that he raised all that money for the no-kill animal shelter and didn’t really even talk about it until he was confronted.

very much agree. hes good i just dont think he has an interest in making rock music any more.

hestitated posting? really??? this site posts any nonsense about anyone who might have heard through someone's gardner/hairdresser that Morrissey farted..

A band that not only split opinion, but pretty much split their own fans minds at times.
I see a whole lot of similarity between the spoilt brat antics of Morrissey and Billy Corgan - though I have huge admiration for a lot of each of their work.

I grew up listening to and progressing through Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc - Arguing that somehow SP/Corgan have no resonance in musical history, whilst Chris Cornell does, is clearly folly.

Never been a Pearl Jam fan myself, but they've clearly also had a sizeable impact.

I think Corgan's main downfall was the disintegration of their premier lineup - you might argue, that this is similar to Morrissey, with Alain or Gary leaving - only with Boz also going, perhaps.

They were great in their time. (Which sadly, has probably passed)

A band that not only split opinion, but pretty much split their own fans minds at times.
I see a whole lot of similarity between the spoilt brat antics of Morrissey and Billy Corgan - though I have huge admiration for a lot of each of their work.

I grew up listening to and progressing through Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc - Arguing that somehow SP/Corgan have no resonance in musical history, whilst Chris Cornell does, is clearly folly.

Never been a Pearl Jam fan myself, but they've clearly also had a sizeable impact.

I think Corgan's main downfall was the disintegration of their premier lineup - you might argue, that this is similar to Morrissey, with Alain or Gary leaving - only with Boz also going, perhaps.

They were great in their time. (Which sadly, has probably passed)

So there's still hope then?

he has within him to make a kick ass rock album but he just doesnt want to.

To call Billy Corgan a whining twat on a Morrissey board is incredibly hilarious to me.

I think SP were fantastic -- and to even lump them in with flannel-clad grunge is nonsense (have you ever seen him wear a flannel shirt?). Their music was far more imaginative than Pearl Jam's or Alice and Chains, and I'm not sure why those bands are so holy and SP so hated. Pearl Jam is flat out boring to me and the Foo Fighters seriously haven't been interesting in at least 15 years, making the same album again and again. Who are we kidding?
And seriously, maybe he was playing the game, but Gish and Siamese Dream were far too personal and too good (the latter widely considered one of the best of the 90s) to be merely cheap shots for indie cred, which they never had anyway. (f*** indie cred anyway.)

And since when do we give a shit who slags which other bands? Need I remind anyone this is a Moz page? Can you tell me how often he says nice and pleasant things about his contemporaries? He doesn't ever say bad things about other artists, does he? I don't think Billy even did much more than give his honest opinion... he still gave those bands some credit. Hardly bashing, anymore than if you said "I don't like that band." But no one seems to hear that part. Funny.

Matt Walker also toured with the Pumpkins for years and recorded on some of their albums. He was originally in Filter, from Chicago... so yeah, they're friends.

Or stop making commercials for furniture stores in order to promote his independent wrestling company. One or the other, but he cannot have both.

I am solar systems removed from what BC is doing these days so I had no idea he was making commercials, or that he has a wrestling company. It appears as though Moz might make a foray into the high-end luxury hotel business. He could open his own line of Vegie themed hotels. It would be interesting to see his take on interior design and "boudoir aesthetic" so to speak.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom