Billy Bragg on free speech, Morrissey, and the resurgence of the Far Right - GQ Magazine

New GQ Article by Billy Bragg:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/music/article/billy-bragg-interview-morrissey-free-speech

Excerpt: "So, call it what it is, says Bragg. Morrissey is now a man who knowingly shares white supremacist material on his platforms and, when challenged, doubles down. And while he is free to do so, that doesn’t mean he’s a victim when there’s a backlash. “Liberty without accountability is impunity, which is the most dangerous kind of freedom. Freedom isn't a universal good. There are kinds of freedom that are really, really dangerous.”

Stick your identity politics where the sun don't shine (which in your case is up your damaged and dilated backside).

77cdceb556c5e98102cd38c95b6f591f.png

Populist Politics is an exclusive club. It's all about special treatment for those included under its umbrella only. Everyone else can go to hell - most of all the ordinary working class.

This is the the alt-right

Yup. Yup. Uh, huh.

"Freedom isn't a universal good. There are kinds of freedom that are really, really dangerous."

Bragg is speaking about religion here, isn't he? If so, I agree. Religious belief might TECHNICALLY be a freedom, but religion itself has brought nothing but misery to the world. Like Billy Bragg, I also think religion should be made illegal. Give religious people 6 weeks to leave their faiths (we can force people to spit and stomp on crosses and Korans to prove they are not faking). Those who do not condemn religion should be jailed for spreading these "dangerous freedoms."

I guess. I'm literally never studying the Assange case.

Looks like I did alright considering was almost blackout drunk by the end.

In summary, I don’t have a horse in the race with Tommy, obviously. Just arguing against “victimless crimes” along with the fact this is a hot story that converges with a Morrissey one.

Additionally, if I brought up Assange as some example of UK authoritarianism, that’s a bit of a fail without acknowledging how dastardly the US is in all of that, just as they have been regarding Edward Snowden.

Cheers to all that tried to reason with me without being a blunt instrument.

All freedom is 'dangerous'. That's what freedom means. That's why toddlers and young children are brought up in a controlled environment. It's why a suicidal patient on a mental health ward has sharps removed from their possession. But is that what Bragg wants for us? A world where 'dangerous' ideas are suppressed and silenced and controlled? People like Bragg scare me. He's Lenin with an acoustic guitar.

I think that’s all fair. Although I wouldn’t be rude to Uncle Skinny, I like him. I guess it’s just funny how the far-right are very aware of the law when an Islamist breaks the law but continually need it explained to them when a white man breaks a law. And even then they pretend it’s not happening. “In jail for journalism!!” Sure, dude.
Rochdale. No justice for children of any colour.

I think that’s all fair. Although I wouldn’t be rude to Uncle Skinny, I like him. I guess it’s just funny how the far-right are very aware of the law when an Islamist breaks the law but continually need it explained to them when a white man breaks a law. And even then they pretend it’s not happening. “In jail for journalism!!” Sure, dude.
He's been rude to me and many others. It is not about Uncle Skinny, and I think that is where the delusion begins. He wants to appear like he's on some crusade against evil and he's a pissed off former fan with weird theories about how The Smiths broke up.
But anyone making it about respect for THE LAW is off base. Of course if he pointed out that "Tommy Robinson" was also making something all about himself while pretending to stand up for what's right it might hit too close to home. They're both equally useless and detrimental to the causes they claim to support. I don't think which team they're on makes a difference and shouldn't get a pass.

All freedom is 'dangerous'. That's what freedom means. That's why toddlers and young children are brought up in a controlled environment. It's why a suicidal patient on a mental health ward has sharps removed from their possession. But is that what Bragg wants for us? A world where 'dangerous' ideas are suppressed and silenced and controlled? People like Bragg scare me. He's Lenin with an acoustic guitar.

He's Lenin with an acoustic guitar.’

Well, Bragg’s definitely no Lennon with any guitar! nor will he ever be.

:cool:

Asking a Leninist like Bragg about free speech is like ordering fries at Burger King in North Korea.

I’ve just seen Billy Bragg (3 hours ago); I can confirm his brilliance.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom