Billy Bragg: 'Moz doesn't need a record deal'

John Reed writes:

Billy Bragg has posted the Guardian's recent non-story regarding Morrissey's lack of record deal on his Facebook page along with the mocking comment: '"England is mine and it owes me a living" Apparently not.'

After a debate on his page, with most of his fans taking joy in Morrissey's apparent misfortune, Bragg clarified his position:

"I'm not having a pop at Mozzer, simply want to highlight the situation faced by artists who are lucky enough to have long careers. Fact is we shouldn't rely on record companies to do the work for us. In the world of internet connectivity, we should be getting together to work out a new way of getting our music heard."​

Last edited:
Dear BrummieBoy,

It’s nice to see you back. I surely was worried about the P.E. problem. I hope that your painkillers work and the other medications. That’s all I ever wanted was for you to get better. Meaning that was the priority. But then I knew you would be ok because I am a visionary just like you.
I love Kate Bush, but then again I probably mentioned this to you in private but maybe I didn’t. I don’t remember. Having the patent on being mentally ill ad nauseum. So I got the Bronte’s collection a few weeks ago cause I lost all five versions of Wuthering Heights. Ritalin back order remember. Anyway I purchased recently the Bronte collection which I never had in my possession, consisting of 3 DVDs which include The “Tenant” of Wildfell Hall by Ann Bronte (I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet). Also including Jane Eyre and my abiding passion Wuthering Heights. I also love that Kate Bush sings Wuthering Heights. Even though Morrissey was, is, and always shall remain my number one singer, there were some other singers I liked, including but not limited to Kate Bush. Working in Burger King, spittin on your onion rings. BrummieBoy, name that singer. I think that Morrissey is more comparable to Eminem than a symbol. I really do not envision Morrissey and Prince meeting, let alone having a conversation even. The only record that I liked by Prince was Purple Rain, but then again this was before I got into The Smiths. Purple Rain and all involved in Purple Rain to me were awesome.
I never meant to cause you any sorrow, I never meant to cause you any pain.

Anyways, you are right that the world now is a world that no longer exists. When I was around fifteen years old, we didn’t have cell phones that allowed you to put your picture on it. Now you can’t walk outside without someone videoing you, snapping your pictures and we all have no privacy anymore too. I do not believe that Morrissey “craves” the world that no longer exists, because I know unfortunately that he accepts it, not that he likes it (how can he argue against it. It’s not like he asked for this.). But then we all get things we don’t like, isn’t it.

Action Is My Middle Name is already superb. I feel though that you are right that it can always get better cause it already is the best song that he has ever delivered. Although I love YOR, and the cover, I agree with you that his best is yet to come. Both this new CD and the cover. I just hope that Jake Walters once again is the photographer. Can I put in an order (I wish).

You are correct that the site has very little to do with Morrissey anymore. It is a wasteland composed of hate, bitter things, conspiracies, personal vendettas and so forth.

You notice BrummieBoy that anybody that Morrissey likes or vice versa, they get trashed, hated, like no other. Although I don’t particularly care for Kristeen Young’s voice, I’m sure she is a very nice girl and cares about Morrissey more than anything in the world. She’s also a very attractive girl, so she is going to be trashed. Just like Joey, Jake, Lady Gaga, Russell Brand, etc. The list goes on. Too many to mention.
I know it’s over between us. You f****ed me up. And there is nothing I can do about it. But then there is no retribution from me to you, get it.

And a special place for you in my heart I have kept.

Take care,

Bonnie (aka Kate2828)

Wow, I got lost in the words and thought I was reading a professional article for a moment.
Great thoughts!

It really is too bad he doesn't feel a need to be "innovative" and self-publish. Radiohead & Iamx are getting their music out there. If you already have a big fan base then there's a guarantee he'll see returns on his investment. I don't see why not. If it's really about the music that is. Who isn't going to give him a listen?
They play him in supermarkets here in Florida for crying out loud. He's a legend.
Even random drunk inmates at the jail have been brought in babbling about Moz. [Okay moz and sublime]

Moz could always take Chris Corner's route and move to Berlin.

The reason Morrissey shouldn't rely on touring alone is if he continues to use ticket master people will eventually give up trying to see him live. The last concert I tried to see was cancelled. When it was rescheduled ticketmaster waited three days until after the gig happened to notify me. You can't make a lot of money touring if you back out a lot.
I lost about 100 dollars on their fees, service charges, fees and more service charges. Even with half of the tickets refunded when I complained they waited after the show to notify of me of the reschedule.
Lesson learned.
Do not attempt to see Morrissey in Florida ever again.

Does Moz still get paid for cancelled shows?

Moz-solo was great for telling me before I headed out to Tampa [St. Pete] at least not to bother.

'I know it’s over between us. You f****ed me up. And there is nothing I can do about it. But then there is no retribution from me to you, get it. And a special place for you in my heart I have kept. Take care, Bonnie (aka Kate2828)

Hi Bonnie. I didn't mean to f*** you up. I'm pretty f***ed up myself so it's kind of hard to tell when I'm messing with people's mindS. So, once again: sincere apologies.

I agree with you about Kristeen Young. Morrissey should punish the insolent impatience of his audience by inviting Diamanda Galas to support him. Now, that would be something else, and very, very funny! I hope you enjoy 'This Is The Law Of The Plague':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKuX8arORc

I find Diamanda 'therapeutic' when 'reality' is getting a bit much!

Kate Bush's 'Deeper Understanding', now re-visioned on 'Director's Cut' is an interesting couterpoint to Morrissey's 'Wide To Receive', don't you think?

'As the people here grow colder
I turn to my computer
And spend my evenings with it
Like a friend.....Are you lonely, are you lost?

"Hello, I know that you've been feeling tired.
I bring you love and deeper understanding.
Hello, I know that you're unhappy.
I bring you love and deeper understanding."

Well I've never felt such pleasure.
Nothing else seemed to matter.
I neglected my bodily needs.
I did not eat, I did not sleep,
The intensity increasing,
'Til my family found me and intervened.'

I think 'Morrissey-Solo.com' serves a similar purpose to the vision Kate outlines (in 1989!). This site is NOT about Morrissey. It is group therapy for the lost.....once again the brilliant video of Kate's re-imagining with Robbie Coltrane and Noel Fielding, a great British comic who I recommend you check out, google 'The Mighty Boosh'. The computer voice on this track is Kate's 13 year old boy, Bertie, via 'autotune':

http://vodpod.com/search/browse?q=deeper understanding

Morrissey should duet with Kate Bush. Kate is the ONLY artist ever to be granted permission by the estate of James Joyce to quote his work directly in their art. Now that's prestige and credibility of an order that Morrissey can, currently, only dream of....

best wishes
Wayne Clooney aka: Brummie Boy

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom