"Bigmouth Strikes Again" (Old Grey Whistle Test 1986 live version) - gets a release

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's good news. Their greatest TV performance by a stretch.

Pretty sure it is the performance taken from here (about 9 mins)

That's 58 other (mainly dross) songs you have to listen to before getting to the genius of Bigmouth...

Dave

It was a wonderful shock to see the 5th Smith pop up in the Bigmouth video/ song ! Super live version , Thanks Dave2006.

Pretty sure it is the performance taken from here (about 9 mins)

That's 58 other (mainly dross) songs you have to listen to before getting to the genius of Bigmouth...

Dave

Ahhh, such memories and thanks for posting.

Morrissey really did used to say the funniest things.

Mike Joyce on the bongo's - classic, whether you love him or hate him you have to admit he looks a complete and utter prick.

For those who don't know The Old Grey Whistle Test was an iconic BBC show, and has left an extraordinary archive of artists who would never have been given airtime on mainstream television, many of whom went on to superstardom.

Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tim Buckley and the New York Dolls are just some of the artists who appeared when otherwise we would not have had a chance to see them at their peak, and often even before. It was on the Whistle Test that the Dolls were controversially labelled "mock rock" by the presenter, Whispering Bob Harris, to the chagrin, I'm sure, of a young Morrissey.

Famously John Lennon chose the Whistle Test to promote his Rock & Roll album in 1975. The BBC agreed to send a film crew over to New York, and they drew up a contract at the standard appearance fee of £15. Lennon, of course, thought this hilarious, and told them he didn't want any payment.

Being the Beeb, which is essentially a branch of the civil service, that isn't allowed, so Lennon instead asked to be paid not in money, but in Bath Olivers, which were unavailable in NY at the time. Somewhere in the BBC archives there is a contract in which the BBC agree to pay Lennon in £15 worth of biscuits.

The OGWT had no budget to speak of, so it was shot on an unadorned soundstage, just the band and a few cameras. It was public service broadcasting of the highest order, and exactly the sort of show the BBC was created for.

When I was in highschool I had a Smiths poster in my bedroom and the photo was taken from this appearance.

http://www.gloriousnoise.com/images/smiths-my-poster.jpg

smiths-my-poster.jpg

Morrissey's "performance" is quite good in the clips, but I'm curious that he didn't find playing to a crowdless studio more off-putting since he's always fed off of the audience (even if it had to be lip-synced as with TOTP). Not that different to shooting a music video, which he's never really liked either.

For those who don't know The Old Grey Whistle Test was an iconic BBC show, and has left an extraordinary archive of artists who would never have been given airtime on mainstream television, many of whom went on to superstardom.

Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tim Buckley and the New York Dolls are just some of the artists who appeared when otherwise we would not have had a chance to see them at their peak, and often even before. It was on the Whistle Test that the Dolls were controversially labelled "mock rock" by the presenter, Whispering Bob Harris, to the chagrin, I'm sure, of a young Morrissey.

Famously John Lennon chose the Whistle Test to promote his Rock & Roll album in 1975. The BBC agreed to send a film crew over to New York, and they drew up a contract at the standard appearance fee of £15. Lennon, of course, thought this hilarious, and told them he didn't want any payment.

Being the Beeb, which is essentially a branch of the civil service, that isn't allowed, so Lennon instead asked to be paid not in money, but in Bath Olivers, which were unavailable in NY at the time. Somewhere in the BBC archives there is a contract in which the BBC agree to pay Lennon in £15 worth of biscuits.

The OGWT had no budget to speak of, so it was shot on an unadorned soundstage, just the band and a few cameras. It was public service broadcasting of the highest order, and exactly the sort of show the BBC was created for.

Morrissey's "performance" is quite good in the clips, but I'm curious that he didn't find playing to a crowdless studio more off-putting since he's always fed off of the audience (even if it had to be lip-synced as with TOTP). Not that different to shooting a music video, which he's never really liked either.

That's because he was wide eyed and bushytailed back then.

I've watched this clip dozens of times down the years and I've rarely seen him so obviously happy. I took it to be in part the knowledge that Bigmouth was a gem, and that the soon to be released album The Queen Is Dead was a classic.

Even in the promo poster shot he looks like an utterly chuffed schoolboy.
It's almost like an alternate Morrissey.

Bigmouth is one of their best, no doubt.

I've watched this clip dozens of times down the years and I've rarely seen him so obviously happy. I took it to be in part the knowledge that Bigmouth was a gem, and that the soon to be released album The Queen Is Dead was a classic.

The Old Grey Whistle Test has many great performances in the past, so it's good to see a Smiths song in their Anthems.

thanks for the 14 minute clip, though many seen it before, doesn't mean it very apropriate in this item.

first wait till 25 DVD release, and if you go on youtube you can make your own Old Grey Whilste Test cd, or DL.

' and they say he's mentall' .. and my keyboard started to melt

In the original broadcast, Morrissey's vocal does not get picked up by the mixer until after the first 'Sweetness'. Has this been corrected for the release?

In the original broadcast, Morrissey's vocal does not get picked up by the mixer until after the first 'Sweetness'. Has this been corrected for the release?

No, it has not been fixed. It starts with a "... neeeess"

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom