Biggest problem with Low In High School?

Biggest Flaw In"Low In High School"

• Lyrics

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Production

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • melody

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Arrangements

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Vocals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing, Everything was flawless

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
The only bad thing about the album is the cover image that was chosen (Even a blank page with an "Axe the Monarchy" written with a crayola would have been better)...

Otherwise it is a great album.

EL problema es Gustavo Manzur, mal músico, extraño Alain Whyte, las guitarras hicieron la mejor música de Moz, horrible sonido de Low In High Moznur

i hear one or two possible oral sex allusions, not obsessively or aggressively often. and is oral sex really that strange?
Well, no. Perfectly happy for him to get his pleasure however he likes. But it's not something I want to hear him sing about. Or, to put it another way, I don't need a blow-by-blow account :lbf:

Last edited:
Well, I don't think so, Dabb. I quite like it myself. But I would like it much more if a) the production hadn't muzzled the keyboard, and b) he had bothered to finish it.

you think he didn't finish it? or is this something he told you?

anyways, I'm in agreement with most about the mix, not only is the piano 'muzzled' it is pushed back with too much reverb on it , trying to give the audio illusion of a piano in the distance or whatever, but just makes it less powerful and becomes the major wrench thrown into the works that helps make the song not work.

i believe it could have made a nice next single, but not that mix.

Yes, I agree with the stuff about the mix, Ketamine. It's a pity because I was quite excited hearing it at the 6Music session and thought it would be an obvious single.

As for not finishing it, well, okay you got me there, but that's very much how it sounds to me. It starts really well but after the first chorus it just fizzles out - the same lyrics repeated over and over and no new musical ideas. The opening verse melody never gets repeated, which is a pity because it's a strong hook. That thumping Give-Peace-A-Chance rhythm is infectious but it's not enough to carry it when the rest is so thin.

Oh, and the lyrics stray into his dodgy politics territory, which I so wish he wouldn't do . I really don't like 'Presidents come, presidents go, the damage they do' - it's meaningless twaddle, it lacks insight and seems to lack any real thought or effort. In my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with the stuff about the mix, Ketamine. It's a pity because I was quite excited hearing it at the 6Music session and thought it would be an obvious single.

As for not finishing it, well, okay you got me there, but that's very much how it sounds to me. It starts really well but after the first chorus it just fizzles out - the same lyrics repeated over and over and no new musical ideas. The opening verse melody never gets repeated, which is a pity because it's a strong hook. That thumping Give-Peace-A-Chance rhythm is infectious but it's not enough to carry it when the rest is so thin.

Oh, and the lyrics stray into his dodgy politics territory, which I so wish he wouldn't do . I really don't like 'Presidents come, presidents go, the damage they do' - it's meaningless twaddle, it lacks insight and seems to lack any real thought or effort. In my opinion. :)

I'm super-critical of modern day Morrissey, and the new album is a disappointment but I would stand up for this song. Yes, the piano should be higher in the mix but there are some great musical touches (little bits of fuzzy guitar popping in and out, some brass sections unless I'm mistaken). I like the lyrics (unlike 6 or 7 of the songs), they're light hearted but pretty amusing. There are no dodgy politics at all - just a bit of fun nonsense really. It is repetitive but so are many of his songs e.g. You're The One for me Fatty (even the verses are the same). It's a good song. Issue a remixed version with bigger piano (or just a live version) and the record company could have the second radio hit on their hands.

:thumb:

agree to disagree, especially on the 'it's meaningless twaddle, it lacks....'

As for the over all lyrics on LIHS, it seems to be his own conscious chosen direction, they are neither good or bad, right or wrong, it just is, so take it or leave it. Like with all things in life, if one doesn't like something, the wiser ones know how to use the EXIT.

Believe this is what Iggy Pop meant when talking about Morrissey on the great album LIHS, he said ' for me, he's beginning to achieve more clarity as a lyricist than he's ever had , you really know what he's saying and it really gets across.. '.

Though, that's just the opinion of one the greatest icons of music history... IGGY POP.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom