Biggest problem with Low In High School?

Biggest Flaw In"Low In High School"

• Lyrics

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Production

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • melody

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Arrangements

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Vocals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing, Everything was flawless

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters

Gaetano

Half A Person
In your opinion, what is the biggest fault with "Low In High School"?

Personally, I find the album to be pretty much flawless! :)

Last edited:
Not biggest fault but the piano on “All The Young People Must Fall In Love” was buried to far away in the mix.
Almost absent.
It should have been more up front, like in the live concert in Berlin.
I prefer that version.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the album; it's great.

The promotion, interviews, and accompanying controversy on the other hand...

Production, production, production...
Very Bad. But it's recurrent with morrissey and the Smiths. LIHS is the worst for that.
Musical arrangement are weak too.
But i like the voice, mélodies, lyrics and composition in general on this record.

Production, production, production...
Very Bad. But it's recurrent with morrissey and the Smiths. LIHS is the worst for that.
Musical arrangement are weak too.
But i like the voice, mélodies, lyrics and composition in general on this record.

The production isn't bad at all, not to a lot of people's taste but it isn't a poorly produced record.

I voted "other" for "uneven choice of material".

Six of the songs I really like(*), the other ones are (to my ears at least) Morrissey-by-numbers, either musically or lyrically (or, worse, both). Production-wise, I never liked the bluster with which the "heavier" songs were approached, neither on this album nor on the previous ones. Give me the light touch of "Girl from Tel-Aviv" any day.

(*) Viz. "I Wish You Lonely", "Jacky", "Home=?", "Spent the Day", "Girl from Tel-Aviv" and "All the Young People".

I like the album and it is growing on me with every listen.

I do agree with Quando's comment about the mix for All the Young People though. That should have been much more powerful.

Also, the lyric "There's no need to go into that now..." is Morrissey at his vaguest and worst.

Not my favourite Morrissey album, but a long way from being the worst.

The uneven quality of the songs and the horrendous artwork.

As I've said in other threads, there are a few very good songs, a few pretty good songs, and then there is the rest of it...... bad to terrible.

The best thing about Morrissey and The Smiths was his/their Englishness. He sang about ordinary things in an extraordinary way, things we could all relate to. Now his themes and lyrics are frequently unrelatable. Also, the "Mexican" flourishes to his music are growing tiresome. I think Morrissey needs to return to writing lyrics about HIS experiences, not the larger worldview style of late. As for the music, a return to voice/guitar/bass/drums would be welcome.

Lyrics, boring. Production, neutered. Arrangements, boring.
It would have made a decent EP.

The artwork and album title were poor imo. Agree with comments about the mix on all the yout people but other than that I think the music is pretty good

The best thing about Morrissey and The Smiths was his/their Englishness. He sang about ordinary things in an extraordinary way, things we could all relate to. Now his themes and lyrics are frequently unrelatable. Also, the "Mexican" flourishes to his music are growing tiresome. I think Morrissey needs to return to writing lyrics about HIS experiences, not the larger worldview style of late. As for the music, a return to voice/guitar/bass/drums would be welcome.

I completely agree with this. I know we all have to evolve, but I do think he lost something special when he lost some of his Englishness. And yes, I find the Spanish/Mexican/world music influences tiresome - especially since it's fairly obvious that they're about his own vested interests. And yes, his best songs always were (and still are) about his own experiences. Ordinary life. When he tries to write about world issues and politics he's so out of his depth that it's embarrassing.

It must be difficult to write something worthwhile when you're a multi-millionaire, living in the Sun, surrounded by yes men and your main source of information being Breitbart. All things considered he's made a fist of it.

Sorry, I cannot boil it down to one thing (I did try). For me there is a list:

1. As Harsh Truth has said, the cover artwork is atrocious

2. Some of the lyrics are really terrible. Take In Your Lap, for instance: "The security force is always the worst...They live to kill and they love just to harm" What was once so special about Morrissey's lyrics was not just the witty words but how they worked with the music. Tony Wilson had it right when he said there was something unique about how Morrissey placed his syllables. He had a knack of picking, and placing, words that sparked against the rhythms and melodies. They were alive somehow - these are flat and clumsy. Having said that... there are still a few moments of genuine poetry. "I rescued you in so many ways/You're good for a laugh, that's all you can say/Summer is winter and winter prevails/And I'm so tired of counting the days" - just lovely, and an intriguing story within a story.

3. Two of the songs are completely, unlistenably bad (I Bury the Living, Who Will Protect us From the Police)

4. Two of the songs are tiresome dirges (I Wish You Lonely, Home is a Question Mark)

5. Two of the songs are tuneless, shouty thrashes (My Love... , Jacky)

4. The politics are embarrassing

5. The random trumpets and flamenco flourishes are just annoying and smack of desperation to create something interesting

6. All the Young People, which starts quite brilliantly, just peters out as it appears he couldn't be bothered to write any more. And as others have said, why they have put the piano so far back in the mix - which might have (partially) rescued it - is a mystery.

7. His obsession with the Middle East is not helping his ham-fisted lyrics or his search for decent melodies

8. His obsession with oral sex makes me queasy

Apart from that, I quite like it :)

We have a friend who's always talking about sex, even in front of the kids. All the time non-stop in her 50's talking like the idiot teenager who doesn't understand non-divulgence. Anyway, Morrissey in song has become like her. That's the worst thing for me.

Well, I think I'm a pretty open minded sort of person, but I do find it unsettling when it's rammed down your throat (so to speak). Has your friend spent much time alone/single? Perhaps, like Morrissey seems to be, she is enjoying a 'late blossoming' :) If it wasn't so unapetising it would be funny. It really is as if he's just discovered it.

Yeah, it seems to be a fairly recent thing but I'm pretty sure she's rarely been single. It just makes me cringe to be honest, don't seem to be able to go for half an hour without her mentioning penis size. I should do her a mix tape starting with You Have Killed Me.

Mostly, I like the music-in fact, I’d say it’s probably his third or fourth best solo album. His voice is better than ever and there are some terrific arrangements on here. The lyrics aren’t top drawer Morrissey but I don’t think they're shockingly bad or even appreciably worse than anything he’s turned in since Vauxhall. Granted, the cover is awful-though the image on the back of the sleeve is quite good-but for me, the only thing that particularly sours LIHS has been Morrissey’s decision to promote it by making a series of divisive and embarrassing comments which make it difficult to appreciate the music on its own merits.

The production isn't bad at all, not to a lot of people's taste but it isn't a poorly produced record.

the piano is like a toy, trumphet doesn't sound like miles davis.
Guitars are not naturals, there is no bass or the bass is hidden
There a lot compression, distorsion, everything is muffled,
'i wish you lonely' is a great song but music behind is like karaoke
https://songs.bmg.com/olm/view/playlist/6F4A0A65401996381146A44B9FFF40F9

Musical arrangements are not good too.
No Real arpeggio, no funk or vivid instruments between lyrics.
The construction is basic.
Exemple with the guitars between now and the past ( i really like i wish you lonely)

Even charlie xcx or taylor Swift have a better sound.

LIHS is still one of the best pop album of the year with sallie Ford, Juniore ( a french band) and the last Jens lekman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom