BG Entertainment abandons negotiations to bring Morrissey to Buenos Aires (due to Spacey comments)

Please excuse the long, scrappy nature of this information: it is all in Spanish and needed translation and is from various locations - which is beyond ironic given the gentleman concerned is relying on the 'iffy' translation from a German newspaper!
Daniel Grinbank is a huge music mogul / promoter / football club owner and has put on many, many iconic gigs like the Stones in Rio and practically all major musical artists.

Silencio via Google translate:
"Through his Twitter account, Daniel Grinbank claimed that his production company DG Entertainment abandoned negotiations for Morrissey to play in Buenos Aires after the controversial sayings of the singer in defense of Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein became known.

"We are not interested in producing this type of artists with these values," the producer wrote about the former Smiths. As explained, DG had submitted an offer to bring it in 2018, but "having certified that their statements were true" to the German magazine Der Spiegel , decided to withdraw it."

https://silencio.com.ar/noticias/lo...-retiro-su-oferta-para-traer-morrissey-26413/

From Grinbank himself:
Original tweet:

Rough Twitter translation:
20171128_163443.png

Then Instagram:
20171128_163833.png

Original:

Then subsequent 'clarification':
20171128_163805.png

Original:

Lastly:
20171128_163725.png

Original:

If any of our fluent Spanish speakers can clean up the auto-translation so it reads more fluidly - please feel free.
I thought this story was worth sharing as it's the first negative reaction to his Das Spiegel comments to directly affect fans by the withdrawal of potential concerts.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

He is now realising that spouting the nonsense he has is going to hurt his pocket, and that's something he won't like one bit. I fully expect him to say something like this...

Honestly, if Morrissey doesn't smarten up and watch what he says, it would not surprise me to find ourselves in same situation as 2014 - Morrissey unceremoniously dropped from his record label. With the comments referenced above, and now the Trump one.... you've got to figure the folks at BMG are second guessing their decision.

Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

He is now realising that spouting the nonsense he has is going to hurt his pocket, and that's something he won't like one bit. I fully expect him to say something like this...

e98b5a8444ff8cb3f2fe8c882eb61012--the-singer-best-quotes.jpg

CWidjXcWcAAzftj.png

Me thinks Morrissey should just give up this music thing and go into politics full time.
75d.png

Basically DG withdrew the offer to bring Moz to Argentina due....u know, he add than others promoters could do, so it will be surely.

He might say daft things from time to time but Moz is entitled to his opinion. Looks to me like nobody is allowed to say anything these days or to ever say what they mean. Moz was just articulating a different point of view. Maybe Spacey and Weinstein are guilty as sin but they've been judged by the media and political correctness without a trial or proper investigation. Whatever happened to 'presumed innocent '? Now its just everyone shitless that they'll upset anyone. What a load of boring bland bollox.
I'm just hoping Moz's big mouth doesn't ruin his relationship with the record label or destroy all chances of another couple of records before he retires.

He took the same position 20 years ago with an artist who wanted to play 'the river'?:smoking:
:crystalball: What the F is he talking about?

This is crazy. They do nothing about murder, rape, deforestation, corruption, on and on. But one comment makes them abandoned a concert.?

Argentina? Not China and Australia then

If any of our fluent Spanish speakers can clean up the auto-translation so it reads more fluidly - please feel free.I thought this story was worth sharing as it's the first negative reaction to his Das Spiegel comments to directly affect fans by the withdrawal of potential concerts.
Regards,
FWD.

I'm a Spanish speaker AND from Buenos Aires. The tweets contain some expressions which are extremely local... so Google will always make some mess, probably a Spanish speaker from another country may not know the local use of some expressions.

Other than that, the general meaning of the translations you got is fine.

Daniel G. is mainly saying that he was having conversations with Morrissey for a concert in Buenos Aires in 2018, but that he has some limits and one of his limits is "supporting Paedophilia". He says that he has read some rumours about it online, but that he doesn't trust in internet rumours, so he had to check with the sources (Spiegel Magazine) and found out that "it was true". Then he says that he won't judge Morrissey as an artist/singer (suggesting that he considers him a good artist), but that his "support for paedophilia" made him decide to stop the negotiations... and that other persons who bring bands to Argentina may bring him, but he won't. <----- That's what he says and that's mostly what you got with google.

Daniel Grinbank ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Grinbank ) became famous in the middle 1980's after creating the first radio that only played Rock music and had several shows devoted to each audience (a show that was specific for Hard Rock & Heavy Metal, a show with Darkwave music, a show with Indie Bands, etc). Of course, he was the "man behind the scenes" in that radio, but not specially famous himself.

In 2012 one of his employees "betrayed" him and created a very similar radio and hired mostly ALL the DJs and presenters of Grinbannk's radio... and managed to make it better and probably more popular.

Other than that, Daniel Grinbank organizes concerts and music festivals and he has brought to Buenos Aires several artists all over these decades (from Rick and Roll legends like the Rolling Stones to Free Jazz artists). BUT he is just one of the persons who does such thing (i.e, he was not involved in the last concerts of Morrissey in Buenos Aires, in 2015).

Finally... playing in Buenos Aires involves, not just for Morrissey, but for probably EVERY band or artist a small tour that has to involve several cities (i.e, Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo in Brazil). This is due to the economical costs (This is not specific to Morrissey, but ANY Artists, from a small punk band with an audience of 1,500 persons to Madonna or U2).

And Morrissey has a HUGE audience in Buenos Aires, probably bigger than in other parts of the world (he has probably the same audience than bands like Radiohead or Coldplay may have... He is a "stadyum artist" here... I do remember his last tour in 2015 when he played twice, the first concert was in a big sized theater for some 2,000 persons, somehow an "exclusive VIP show".... the tickets were sold on the internet and the show was sold out in 60 seconds, literally 60 seconds).

"but if he doesnt want to have any kind of relationship with a person who supports a fact of paedophilia as he did"

WTF? who is this drunk? :squiffy:

Wasn't that the place, the last time he went he nearly died from the shits?

Peru

Previously professed his love for Argentina, but now he’s opened his big, wreckless mouth, from the above transcripts, it looks like he won’t be returning anytime soon.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom