Beyoncé

William Fisher

Listening face down
Beyoncé singing about Moz on her new album. Obviously.

Plastic Off The Sofa
-------
Ah, we don't need the world's acceptance
They're too hard on me, they're too hard on you, boy
I'll always be your secret weapon in your arsenal, your arsenal
And I know you had it rough growing up, but that's okay (that's okay)
-----

Yeah, that can’t possibly mean anything else…

Didn’t know Beyoncé was one of Morrissey’s
secret weapons. Maybe we’ll be seeing her on Central wearing a Smiths shirt! That’ll shut up the critics.

Didn’t know Beyoncé was one of Morrissey’s
secret weapons. Maybe we’ll be seeing her on Central wearing a Smiths shirt! That’ll shut up the critics.
And I thought Miley Cyrus was Morrissey's secret weapon. Maybe that's what "I can have both" is about.:lbf:

I'd be surprised if Beyonce even knows who M is.

I think Beyoncé is part of the ‘modern music’ that he, unsurprisingly to anyone with good taste in music, has criticized negatively.

Which means, there may be a chance that he’ll work with her. 🙃

I'd be surprised if Beyonce even knows who M is.
who knows what big stars listen to behind closed doors.who would have thought alain would ever have worked with madonna.

who knows what big stars listen to behind closed doors.who would have thought alain would ever have worked with madonna.

Sorry, but that doesn’t necessarily mean Madonna listens to Alain. I imagine she’s presented with songs by her team of producers or whatever.

I think Beyoncé is part of the ‘modern music’ that he, unsurprisingly to anyone with good taste in music, has criticized negatively.

Which means, there may be a chance that he’ll work with her. 🙃
Good point. Well made. Always thought Anna Calvi would be a perfect fit for duet duties.

Talking about Beyonce, apparently she got criticized on social media for using thé word « spas « in one of her lyrics. She apologies and committed herself to correct the lyric and re-recor the song. That’s something Morrissey would never do, for better or worse. And sometimes I think it is his loss.

When it comes to modern, commercial music, Beyoncé is by far the best one out there. She’s innovative, intelligent - not just insanely hot. I don’t listen to her on a regular basis, but I certainly don’t mind her music when I do.

When it comes to modern, commercial music, Beyoncé is by far the best one out there. She’s innovative, intelligent - not just insanely hot. I don’t listen to her on a regular basis, but I certainly don’t mind her music when I do.
Beyonce has two brain cells. This means you have none.

Talking about Beyonce, apparently she got criticized on social media for using thé word « spas « in one of her lyrics. She apologies and committed herself to correct the lyric and re-recor the song. That’s something Morrissey would never do, for better or worse. And sometimes I think it is his loss.

This is an interesting point. Both Beyonce and Lizzo have had to re-record songs recently after getting lots of social media grief for using the word "spaz" in a lyric (whether they actually wrote those lyrics, or whether the word came from one of their songwriting team members, I don't know). As you say, it's impossible to imagine Morrissey ever backtracking on anything like this.

Is there a difference here between mass entertainment - which, despite all the plaudits hurled her way, Beyonce clearly is - and music as art? Beyonce and Lizzo are making songs for the masses and if the masses protest a lyric, then it must be changed. Whereas perhaps Morrissey is making songs for himself, more than anyone else and (in his mind, at least) the art is more important than the listener's "take" on it.

Or is it just that Morrissey's a stubborn little tw*t sometimes?

This is an interesting point. Both Beyonce and Lizzo have had to re-record songs recently after getting lots of social media grief for using the word "spaz" in a lyric (whether they actually wrote those lyrics, or whether the word came from one of their songwriting team members, I don't know). As you say, it's impossible to imagine Morrissey ever backtracking on anything like this.

Is there a difference here between mass entertainment - which, despite all the plaudits hurled her way, Beyonce clearly is - and music as art? Beyonce and Lizzo are making songs for the masses and if the masses protest a lyric, then it must be changed. Whereas perhaps Morrissey is making songs for himself, more than anyone else and (in his mind, at least) the art is more important than the listener's "take" on it.

It’s no longer art. It is product then.

It’s like consumers complaining to a food company about a new ingredient added to a well known product, and the company then taking that ingredient out to keep them happy, and keep the money rolling in.

It’s no longer art. It is product then.

It’s like consumers complaining to a food company about a new ingredient added to a well known product, and the company then taking that ingredient out to keep them happy, and keep the money rolling in.
Just add "spaz" and stir. Thank god Moz remains an artist and Beyoncé can stay whatever she is.

I wasn’t aware of the Lizzie case, but I heard her song on the radio this morning and it is awful.
But these artists turned the social media to their advantage and gained a lot of publicity out of it, so much so that you wonder if it was a clever marketing campaign to sell their product.
My frustration is that Morrissey has digged himself into a big hole on social media, not so much through the use of inappropriate words in his songs but mainly through his flippant comments that continue to haunt him. I sometimes wonder if he has misjudged the impact of social media.

Deep down, I am happy Morrissey stars true to himself and his art. That makes him adorable to me in a f***ed up way.

Back
Top Bottom