01ya1.jpg

Autumn Calls (w/ Tony Wakeford, 1998)

03nn6.jpg

Ice (1999)

04hn7.jpg

The Mist (2001)

01xt9.jpg

Evening / Leaves (7", Pic, 2002)​

As a kid this album cover always weirded the hell out of me for some reason so it has always been very memorable to me. I mean think in the vein of Burger King's "King"
Billy_Joel_-_The_Stranger.jpg

Not only did I like this album's music but the Flaming Lips always know how to draw my attention visually.
TheFlamingLips-YoshimiBattlesThePinkRobots.jpg

it's sunday morning.....these lp covers have made me feel sleepy again!
lionsrs0.jpg

up057oq5.jpg

cronae9.jpg

You were saying, Blaze... ehr, I mean, TMYEM!?
Excuse me for getting SLOPPY. :D

Funny, the first one, Life with the Lions, is not only John & Yoko's finest avant-garde release, but it is also TRULY one of the bestest album covers ever.

B0000024JN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I can just remember being 10 and when you look at it in the mirror it said eat me ,I thought this was so cool

What's funny about this cover is that I was over visiting some friends (yes, amazingly enough, I do have them) and we were playing one of those DVD trivia games and it was a puzzle where they show you just a tiny bit of the album cover at a time and whoever guesses it first wins the point. The first detail - the tiniest sliver of the plane - was revealed and immediately all four of us screamed at the top of our lungs, "BEASTIE BOYS LICENSED TO ILL!!!!!!" <laughter>

They were also most impressed when I guessed Joan Jett's I Love Rock 'n' Roll based only on the faintest hint of a pink blazer beneath a bunch of visual noise.

This is a fun topic - I'll have to think of my faves...

First off, some of Peter Saville's covers are ace:

JoyDivisionCloseralbumcover.jpg

Love_will_tear_us_apart.jpg

14141.jpg

Then there are those great Echo and the Bunnymen covers...

375x375

B0000E2PY4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

41NQQ4VFCZL._AA240_.jpg

What's funny about this cover is that I was over visiting some friends (yes, amazingly enough, I do have them) and we were playing one of those DVD trivia games and it was a puzzle where they show you just a tiny bit of the album cover at a time and whoever guesses it first wins the point. The first detail - the tiniest sliver of the plane - was revealed and immediately all four of us screamed at the top of our lungs, "BEASTIE BOYS LICENSED TO ILL!!!!!!" <laughter>

They were also most impressed when I guessed Joan Jett's I Love Rock 'n' Roll based only on the faintest hint of a pink blazer beneath a bunch of visual noise.

This is a fun topic - I'll have to think of my faves...

Just saw them last week in Brooklyn's new venue McCarren Park. I have never seen more people jump up and down in unison. It was one of the highest energy shows I have ever been to and I have to say... was a real good time.

Surprised no one mentioned:

51SKN7EYK4L._AA240_.jpg

or this

41BMQS09H4L._AA240_.jpg

Both of these have been two of the most immitated albums cover's ever... esp Abbey Road.

I'm also extremely fond of the early Red House Painters covers. Especially:

a4d8225b9da0bfedb8802110.L.jpg

7703.jpg

I like this one too:

31Z6YFWRYFL._AA240_.jpg

These ones are beautiful. Codreanu, which ones live up (musically) to the standard set by their cover art?

Coiff.
Austin Sunday: save the contemplatively gorgeous Glasgow Monday, I cannot, in good conscience, recommend any of Jandek's live material. (*)

Simitu: I only noticed the title on family-vineyard.com while looking for info on the new Loren Connors lp. It might be good if you're into the whole skronky free-range jazz thing. *shrugs*

Bereavement and Loss: from website: "this will be the next record, currently being recorded with David Darling on cello accompanying piano pieces written by Dakota Suite!"

If the two previous instrumental albums (Navigators Yard, The Way I Am Sick) are any indication, this should be excellent.

Rowboat/Blackberry: haunting two-track 3" cdr released on the artist's own CLaudia label. Recommended.

download here.

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you all to my new favourite artist: Felix (Lucinda Chua). At the moment, all that's out officially is a lone split 7" w/ Chris Herbert [hear "What I Learned from TV" on her myspace page] on Low Point; however two releases are said to be in the works.

Oh yeah, the best part, the album cover...

o937220qr0.jpg

Chris Herbert / Felix - split 7"

With a name like Felix, I just know there is a cat behind the bookcase, just out of camera-shot. *swoons* :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom