Best/Worst Morrissey show openers?

This Charming Bowie

Welcome to this knockabout world
Since we're in the midst of a fantastic run of UK dates at the moment (just over a week to go until I see him!), I thought this would be a fun bit of conjecture.
What are your favourite/least favourite songs Morrissey has chosen for his show openers throughout the years? Off the top of my head, I think that the recent placement of "We Hate It..." as the opening number was inspired, and some of the Smiths surprises like "I Want the One I Can't Have" in 2011 also worked really well.
On the flipside, something like "You'll Be Gone" - which he opened with in 2020 - while a solid cover, isn't really the high-intensity lead-off that gets the crowd going in my view.

I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks, and also potentially what songs people would choose that haven't been played first as of yet.

I’ve seen Morrissey open with ‘The Queen is Dead’ and that is always a bruising opening salvo. Not sure if we’ll get it again now. I’d second ‘You’ll Be Gone’ as a slightly curious set starter - not sure where I would relocate it though.

The most recent performances of ‘How Soon is Now?’ - full of dense instrumentation and vocal power - make a strong case for this Smiths perennial as a strong way to kick things off properly.

When I was younger. Much younger. The opener didn’t really register, especially if it was a high octane song. That was when the hustling and jostling went on to get prime place, and not just up front either. The “list” didn’t exist then, so it really was a case of battling your way and standing your ground. It was exciting, brutal, and sometimes violent. Never dull.

In pre internet days, the train journey conversations would often involve guessing what he’d open with. A choice must narrower than it is now, especially prior to his introduction of Smiths songs to the set. The post show conversations would often involve someone trying to remember what it was. We didn’t live in order to register in those days, but to live. Narrative could wait for later.

As for me. I’m not a “favourite” kind of person, but do tend to agree that “I Want The One I Can’t Have” provided a blinding catapult of anticipation into an evening of song.

Last 2 I went to, (Hammersmith and Birmingham) he opened with You'll Be Gone. Personally I think it's a crap opener, one of the best was Billy Budd in Sheffield at the gig that was part used on Introducing Morrissey, I also enjoyed it when they opened with the rockier version of This Charming Man (although I didn't enjoy it on Jonathan Ross) at Birmingham when PJ Harvey supported him.

Do Your Best And Don't Worry followed by Reader Meet Author - both Birmingham NEC nights '95...
Wasn't expecting that as a gig starter.
Possibly not the best ever, but worked well as an opener.
Regards,
FWD.

Last 2 I went to, (Hammersmith and Birmingham) he opened with You'll Be Gone. Personally I think it's a crap opener, one of the best was Billy Budd in Sheffield at the gig that was part used on Introducing Morrissey, I also enjoyed it when they opened with the rockier version of This Charming Man (although I didn't enjoy it on Jonathan Ross) at Birmingham when PJ Harvey supported him.

have to agree about You’ll be Gone. It seems to not have the right dynamics or bite or something.

"London" was an inspired (and very funny) choice of an opener at Wembley in March 2020.

I'd love to see him kick off a show with "Jim Jim Falls" one time, such a very twisted singalong!

"London" was an inspired (and very funny) choice of an opener at Wembley in March 2020.

I'd love to see him kick off a show with "Jim Jim Falls" one time, such a very twisted singalong!
That was my first Mozza concert, so hearing "London" was a real treat.
I hope he plays "Jim Jim" more in the future - it sounded fantastic live, even though it was pretty different from the studio version. Can't wait to hear "Knockabout World", though.

That was my first Mozza concert, so hearing "London" was a real treat.
I hope he plays "Jim Jim" more in the future - it sounded fantastic live, even though it was pretty different from the studio version. Can't wait to hear "Knockabout World", though.
Yes, really hope he hasn't given up on "Jim" as a live track, it really did sound great, even in a half-full arena!

Has he ever tried Staircase as an opener?
HSIN is the best choice, i think.

Since we're in the midst of a fantastic run of UK dates at the moment (just over a week to go until I see him!), I thought this would be a fun bit of conjecture.
What are your favourite/least favourite songs Morrissey has chosen for his show openers throughout the years? Off the top of my head, I think that the recent placement of "We Hate It..." as the opening number was inspired, and some of the Smiths surprises like "I Want the One I Can't Have" in 2011 also worked really well.
On the flipside, something like "You'll Be Gone" - which he opened with in 2020 - while a solid cover, isn't really the high-intensity lead-off that gets the crowd going in my view.

I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks, and also potentially what songs people would choose that haven't been played first as of yet.
I think Jim Jim Falls and You’re Gonna Need Someone on Your Side make good gig openers.

Piccadilly Palare would make a nice change.

I think Jim Jim Falls and You’re Gonna Need Someone on Your Side make good gig openers.

Piccadilly Palare would make a nice change.

‘… and here I am
Well, you don’t need to look so pleased’ :p

Didn’t he open with FOTGTD at certain tours way back?

Would love to hear Moz open with Sheila Take A Bow.
Really think it would work.
Of the ones he's did, I thought Suedehead was a well
workin' one, cause it really got the folks goin'.

I think the rockier ones make for a good opener...

London
Sweet And Tender Hooligan
Interesting Drug (good opener on the KU tour)
You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
Billy Budd
First Of The Gang To Die
Jim Jim Falls
Staircase (maybe?)

... I must be overlooking some

A concert should start with a rocking, banging song and Moz has a few in his catalog. The best openers have been:
"I Will See You in Far Off Places"
"The Queen is Dead'
"Maladjusted'
"Alsatian Cousin"
"Last of the Famous International Playboys"
"Ganglord"
His worst opener was definitely "You'll Be Gone", a cover version that Morrissey added nothing to. Or any Smiths rocker like "Panic" or "London" because the songs are too short to make any impact.

Back
Top Bottom