Best/worst Morrissey show closers?

This Charming Bowie

Welcome to this knockabout world
Since we discussed what people thought were the best/worst show openers a few days ago, it seemed natural to follow it up with people's favourite/least favourite show closers. This can mean both final songs in the main set, as well as the last song of the encore.
Personally, although classics like "How Soon..." and "Irish Blood..." are great points to end on, my favourite closer has got to be the "What She Said / Rubber Ring" medley: full of energy, it's more of a deep cut compared to those other songs and the lights accompanying it (at least on footage I've seen) are just as dynamic.
Sadly, my least favourite is another cover: "Judy Is A Punk", despite being an amazing song and performed well, is not the climax point you really want at the end of a concert.

I'm interested, as always, to hear people's thoughts, and what they would want to see finish off a future concert if they had the choice.

Sadly, my least favourite is another cover: "Judy Is A Punk", despite being an amazing song and performed well, is not the climax point you really want at the end of a concert.
I'll agree with this, but when it's the only song of the encore. Any cover, really. (Smiths excluded, obviously) However, the first time he did "Judy is a Punk" really worked because they went right into "Irish Blood English Heart" after it. Brooklyn, 2016-ish? I was there and it was a superb ending.

I think Morrissey does a pretty good job of giving a strong encore - generally it's a classic and it's upbeat.

I wish he'd do more two-song encores: a slower number first, followed by a classic banger. One idea I had years ago was to come out with only he and Gustovo and do "There is a Place for Me and My Place in Hell", then to be joined by the full band to close with a smasher.

I saw him to "Panic" as an encore in 2012 in Stockton, CA (where I hear there is currently a serial killer on the prowl, incidentally) and the place went bananas.

I wish he'd do more two-song encores: a slower number first, followed by a classic banger. One idea I had years ago was to come out with only he and Gustovo and do "There is a Place for Me and My Place in Hell", then to be joined by the full band to close with a smasher.
That sounds like a fantastic idea! I do wish his encores were slightly longer, and adding a deep cut or slower song to lead into a classic / more energetic track would be a great way of doing it.

I always liked Disappointed as a closer.

Personally, I really enjoyed it when in Manchester 2004, he finished with 'There is a Light' and the band left one at a time to leave the keyboard player with the beautifully haunting melody. The DVD doesn't really do it justice. It was a great show all round

I like that idea (a slow song followed by a banger), here are a few random ideas:

Julie in the Weeds / FOTGTD

I Know It's Over / Jack The Ripper

Please, Please, Please / IBEH

Now My Heart Is Full / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Come Back To Camden / Bigmouth Strikes Again

I like that idea (a slow song followed by a banger), here are a few random ideas:

Julie in the Weeds / FOTGTD

I Know It's Over / Jack The Ripper

Please, Please, Please / IBEH

Now My Heart Is Full / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Come Back To Camden / Bigmouth Strikes Again
Now and Sweet would be an absolutely killer combo

Since we discussed what people thought were the best/worst show openers a few days ago, it seemed natural to follow it up with people's favourite/least favourite show closers. This can mean both final songs in the main set, as well as the last song of the encore.
Personally, although classics like "How Soon..." and "Irish Blood..." are great points to end on, my favourite closer has got to be the "What She Said / Rubber Ring" medley: full of energy, it's more of a deep cut compared to those other songs and the lights accompanying it (at least on footage I've seen) are just as dynamic.

I'm interested, as always, to hear people's thoughts, and what they would want to see finish off a future concert if they had the choice.

My favorite Morrissey show closer was when I traveled to LA in '91 to watch him solo for the first time. 16,000 gobsmacked at once fans, realizing that the guy walking onstage to join Morrissey for Cosmic Dancer was exactly who he looked to be. Pretty remarkable and yet to be toppled, IME.

Tags
best concert encore setlist worst
Back
Top Bottom