Best unreleased cover version by Morrissey?

sid james

Stone me!
OK - in fantasy land you wind up as Morrissey's next producer and have the opportunity to convince him to record the definitive studio version of one of the songs he's covered live on tour but has never actually released on record. What one would you go for?

(fingers crossed I haven't missed any out!):

TRASH
COSMIC DANCER
MY INSATIABLE ONE
DRIVE IN SATURDAY
NOTHING RHYMED
REDONDO BEACH

Personally much as I love Trash, I would kill to hear a properly recorded verison of Nothing Rhymed.
 
Last edited:

Old Mother Hell

Armchair Hedonist
Nothing Rhymed...

Beautiful, beautiful song, sure enough, but I always wondered why he never sang the chorus twice as Gilbert did. It kinda renders the song abrupt and sounding somewhat incomplete. But oh well...
 

Damiel

...that's if I had one.
I always thought his cover of the first few lines of the NY Dolls "Subway Train" sounded fantastic live. So emotional and plaintive.

I wonder if it would carry through in a full studio version.

-D.
 

Harsh Truth

Ever Felt Had?
Damiel said:
I always thought his cover of the first few lines of the NY Dolls "Subway Train" sounded fantastic live. So emotional and plaintive.

I wonder if it would carry through in a full studio version.

-D.
I agree - that is 40 or so seconds of perfection.

Truth is, though - at least in my opinion - the song (original) kinda goes downhill after that point anyways so Moz got the best bit in.....
 

sid james

Stone me!
I believe so, though conversly that's an example of a cover version that was recorded in the studio and issued on record, but (to the best of my knowledge) was never performed live on stage by Morrissey (ditto 'Skin Storm')
 

hitlerjohnpaul

Junior Member
sid james said:
I believe so, though conversly that's an example of a cover version that was recorded in the studio and issued on record, but (to the best of my knowledge) was never performed live on stage by Morrissey (ditto 'Skin Storm')
well with that in mind then I reckon drive-in saturday with trash coming in a close second, only because "Trash" is such a "live song" if that makes any sense.
 

~El Boydelz~

Also a client
My Insatiable One

I always wanted a studio version of this one. Mozzer (as most of you know) was covering this before Suede had even released it. A great song and Mozzy's live version in '92 had my girlfriend and I holding hands so hard we were nearly turning our bones to powder... He should actually pony up all his cover versions live and or studio and put them out in one package. Tell me YOU wouldn't buy that?!?














888
 

Math Tinder

like Sister Ray said
Cosmic Dancer and Redondo Beach actually have been released on record (and Trash on VHS/DVD)... but of course that's not what you mean. Although it's on Live in Dallas like Trash, I don't think there's a studio version of Morrissey doing That's Entertainment, is there? I guess I'd go with My Insatiable One. (Can we pick I Want a Boy for My Birthday?)

He never released No One Can Hold a Candle to You, did he?

love, math+
 
Last edited:

David

Member
There's a studio version of That's Entertainment on Just Say Yes Vol. 5.

Cosmic Dancer is on My Early Burglarly Years, but it's just live. :)

Anyway, where can I find Nothing Rhymed?
 

Life_Is_A_Pigsty

Gear Changer
Live covers never recorded in a studio:

I Want A Boy For My Birthday
Whats The World
Subway Train
 

Theo

Active Member
He should do an entire album of covers sometime.
 

Aly Panic

Slap Me On The Patio
Math Tinder said:
Cosmic Dancer and Redondo Beach actually have been released on record (and Trash on VHS/DVD)... but of course that's not what you mean. Although it's on Live in Dallas like Trash, I don't think there's a studio version of Morrissey doing That's Entertainment, is there? I guess I'd go with My Insatiable One. (Can we pick I Want a Boy for My Birthday?)

He never released No One Can Hold a Candle to You, did he?

love, math+
That's Entertainment is on the B side of Sing Your Life. Vic Reeves (credited as Jim Moir) sings backing vocals.
 

Sami

w/pubic lice in Catalonia
he clearly needs to cover another T. Rex song - I imagine Morrissey singing "Dandy In The Underworld" - what a song
 
Top Bottom