Best songwriter: Morrissey or Bob Dylan

Who is the best songwriter? Morrissey or Bob Dylan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bob Dylan is the greatest of all time. There is no comparison.

Look at all these stupid people:
73A7035B-E153-4374-985D-50DDF42858E7.jpeg

23C97CBA-F34D-4FCB-ABAD-38BD968B9FA1.gif

I'll listen to and relate to Morrissey's songs way more. Plus I think Dylan is overrated as a lyricist in general. A lot of his songs are nonsense. But every once in awhile Dylan can pull out a beautiful vocal. This may be his prettiest performance

I'll listen to and relate to Morrissey's songs way more. Plus I think Dylan is overrated as a lyricist in general. A lot of his songs are nonsense. But every once in awhile Dylan can pull out a beautiful vocal. This may be his prettiest performance

Just go and listen to all of Dylan's sixties albums before saying things like that.

I like Bob Dylan and he has great moments but he doesn't have enough consistency and his songs are not very personal to me.

Folks - Dylan writes words, music and plays instruments. He is a songwriter.
Morrissey has never written a song in his life. He is a word writer and a singer.
Who is the best songwriter of the two?
It's a stupid question - Dylan is the only songwriter of the two!

Well this isn't true. The song part is the voice and the vocal melody. Morrissey does both of those so he is a song writer. Johnny Marr (when he was in the Smiths) wasn't a songwriter, only when Morrissey added his vocal did what Marr offered actually become a song.

Well this isn't true. The song part is the voice and the vocal melody. Morrissey does both of those so he is a song writer. Johnny Marr (when he was in the Smiths) wasn't a songwriter, only when Morrissey added his vocal did what Marr offered actually become a song.
The combination of the voice and the vocal melody isn't a song. It's just the vocal part. Morrissey hasn't even listed on songwriting credit by himself. He can't. Johnny did when he was in the Smiths.

The combination of the voice and the vocal melody isn't a song. It's just the vocal part. Morrissey hasn't even listed on songwriting credit by himself. He can't. Johnny did when he was in the Smiths.

:unsure:

Are the two names (Morrissey/Marr)
sometimes under the song title not the song writer credits?

But can’t the same thing be true,
that Morrissey’s voice and vocal melody is not a song until it is put to Marr’s contribution?

Yes, you can label a a cappella piece as a ‘song’, but you can also label an instrumental piece as a song.

I think John Lennon was a better songwriter than Dylan and Morrissey

Bob Dylan's influence on John Lennon is unbelievable. It lasted for all of John Lennon's life after hearing The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, while The Beatles were in France.

Lennon mentions Dylan and "Mr Jones" in The Beatles' track, Yer Blues.

Lennon mentions Dylan/Zimmerman in his solo track, God.

Take a look at the cover for Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and compare the similarities with The Beatles' Abbey Road Cover. There are four similarities:

1 - Dylan is walking down the center of the road - The Beatles are walking across the road.
2 - The vehicle on the left of both covers is a Volkswagon.
3 - Lennon has his hands in his pockets just like Dylan.
4 - Lennon's left leg is forward. Just like Dylan's.

Also, Abbey Road features the track, I Want You (She's so heavy). Compare that track with Dylan's I Want You which is on Blonde on Blonde.

Dylan's North Country Blues - From the very first note; if you haven't heard this track before, you'll instantly think of Lennon's Working Class Hero.

Bob Dylan's Fourth Time Around:

"Comparisons to "Norwegian Wood"Edit

"4th Time Around" was commonly speculated to be a response to The Beatles' song "Norwegian Wood" – written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney for the 1965 album Rubber Soul – as the two tracks share a reasonably similar melody, lyrical premise, and 3/4 time signature. "4th Time Around" has been seen as either a playful homage, or a satirical warning to Lennon about co-opting Dylan's well-known songwriting devices. Lennon expressed a range of opinions on this topic in interviews between 1970 and 1980. He initially felt it to be a somewhat pointed parody of "Norwegian Wood", but later he considered Dylan's effort to be more a playful homage. Still, the last line of "4th Time Around" ("I never asked for your crutch / Now don't ask for mine.") played into Lennon's apparent paranoia about Dylan in 1966–67, when he interpreted this line as a warning not to use Dylan's songs as a "crutch" for Lennon's songwriting.[1]"

Bob Dylan's influence on John Lennon is unbelievable. It lasted for all of John Lennon's life after hearing The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, while The Beatles were in France.

Lennon mentions Dylan and "Mr Jones" in The Beatles' track, Yer Blues.

Lennon mentions Dylan/Zimmerman in his solo track, God.

Take a look at the cover for Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and compare the similarities with The Beatles' Abbey Road Cover. There are four similarities:

1 - Dylan is walking down the center of the road - The Beatles are walking across the road.
2 - The vehicle on the left of both covers is a Volkswagon.
3 - Lennon has his hands in his pockets just like Dylan.
4 - Lennon's left leg is forward. Just like Dylan's.

Also, Abbey Road features the track, I Want You (She's so heavy). Compare that track with Dylan's I Want You which is on Blonde on Blonde.

Dylan's North Country Blues - From the very first note; if you haven't heard this track before, you'll instantly think of Lennon's Working Class Hero.

It's true Dylan inspired John to write differently but it worked so well that John became a superior songwriter to Dylan. John has a better balance of oblique, direct, coded , emotional lyrics and moods and above all, catchier writer with better hooks
Plus John had one of the greatest rock n' roll voices of all time.
I like Dylan and Blood On The Tracks is one of my favorite albums but John is better for me

Back
Top Bottom