Best songwriter: Morrissey or Bob Dylan

Who is the best songwriter? Morrissey or Bob Dylan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't ask me. Ask the clowns that've picked Morrissey in the poll above...

Because you can’t answer my question?

Anyway, the poll doesn’t make any sense.

For one is a songwriter and one is not.

You obviously think Morrissey is good enough in what he does to even compare him to Dylan. Which is nice.

Because you can’t answer my question?

Anyway, the poll doesn’t make any sense.

For one is a songwriter and one is not.

You obviously think Morrissey is good enough in what he does to even compare him to Dylan. Which is nice.

The poll came about because of comments in another thread.

I don't think that Morrissey is up there with Dylan.

Well he's not even a songwriter so of course he isn't!
But I much prefer his singing voice, and I prefer his words too.

Mozzer is a songwriter. He writes the lyrics that he sings, he writes the melodies that he sings.

And some Morrissey fans on a Morrissey site don’t think Dylan is up there with Morrissey.

Big surprise.

Don't ask me. Ask the clowns that've picked Morrissey in the poll above...

I don’t think you should be calling anyone a clown.

It’s a clown move on your part to come onto a site dedicated to Morrissey and ask Morrissey fans to choose who is better Dylan or Morrissey.

Why bother?

I mean, I wouldn’t go on a Bob Dylan site and start a poll asking Dylan fans
if they think Morrissey is better or more important than Dylan then calling them clowns for choosing Dylan.

Ridiculous.

Mozzer is a songwriter. He writes the lyrics that he sings, he writes the melodies that he sings.

Well, if comparing him to Dylan, and if what Dylan does is setting the definition of what a songwriter is, then Morrissey couldn’t in this instance be categorized as a songwriter. But I understand where you’re coming from.

...if what Dylan does is setting the definition of what a songwriter is...
It isn't. Imagine singing a Moz song on your own, voice only; it is perfectly possible. It is still a song, recognisably, despite the absence of guitars, drums etc. Instrumental accompaniment is not an intrinsic element of songs.

The only Dylan song I can listen to on repeat, without the voice getting to me too much.

Last edited:
Morrissey is quite clearly the better songwriter, if only because Dylan doesn't write songs; he writes pseudo-political doggerel set to uninspired music.

I would also say that it's clear that Morrissey writes his songs by singing them. The words and melody are much more fused than with Dylan.

@Young And Alive
It isn't. Imagine singing a Moz song on your own, voice only; it is perfectly possible. It is still a song, recognisably, despite the absence of guitars, drums etc. Instrumental accompaniment is not an intrinsic element of songs.

As far as Dylan setting the definition of what a songwriter is, I meant that in the context of this thread and the poll.

And I agree that the melodies that Morrissey sings are memorable.

But what came first ...

The melody Morrissey sings ....

or the instrumental that Morrissey is singing on or to ?

You may find that the song dictates/inspires Morrissey to sing the melody that he does, so again it is a collaboration between the musician that is writing the instrumental and Morrissey.

The particular melody Morrissey sings on a song very likely would not exist without the instrumental music the instrument player is providing.

Yes Morrissey writes the melody but it’s the instrumental music that is inspiring his writing of that melody.

I’ve never heard or read (that I can remember) any collaborator say that Morrissey came to them with a specific vocal melody of his own first that the songs music would be based on.

Last edited:
not a fan of his voice,bought ferrys dylanesque album and much preferred bryan ferry singing Dylan songs than bob a job Dylan.any cubs or scouts in tonight.

Back
Top Bottom