• Strangeways, Here We Come

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Rank

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ooh, tough one.

Strangeways is my favourite, but I'd probably cite The Queen is Dead as their best. I adore Hatful of Hollow and Louder than Bombs too, so much more than compilations.

The Smiths and Meat is Murder are obviously fantastic, though "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" aside, I tend to listen to the latter in one go.

I also like the different variants on The World Won't Listen and Rank is great, I just wish the mixing was a touch better.

They all hold a special place in my heart basically!

As a kid, I had more people ask me for Hatful & World won't.... to double tape on cassette.
Personally, as someone who bought them from hearing Peel push singles etc - I felt that Meat is... was just an incredible album. QID took things in to the video world and it didn't seem to have the same impact on my young self (not a view I hold now). That all said, buying Strangeways and listening to it on the bus on the way home - it was just immense. Last Night.... took over from I know It's Over and it just felt like a more sophisticated and newer sound (a drum machine on a Smith's album who'd of thought!). Being someone who was floating around the Wool Hall at the time - it was more than formative as I met the band and felt like I was 'there'.
As time has marched on, I view the bulk of their work as one 'special' cumulative thing, but whilst it was evolving - the Peel sessions leading me to Meat is... and Strangeways all stand out for me.
Regards,
FWD.

1. Rank
  2. The Smiths
  3. Louder Than Bombs
  4. Strangeways. Here We Come
  5. The Queen Is Dead
  6. Meat Is Murder
Sometimes TQID and Strangeways go up the list. Rank is usually my favorite though sometimes The Smiths is, and Meat Is Murder always comes in last, but I still like it.

all and everyone smiths and solo., i have no faves.

Meat is murder
Louder than bombs
Strange ways here we come
The queen is dead
The smiths

Meat Is Murder is probably my favourite. I just love the sound on that record. Morrissey probably never sang better than on TQID and that is a fantastic record also but I just can't see past Meat Is Murder.

The Steve and John Maher corporate gig "Live at Nike" in John's hometown Portland, Oregon. Coming in close second is "Live at Tesla" in Steve's hometown LA.

For a long time it was the first record. I like the mix. It sounds and feels like a punk record. In the past six months or so, Meat is Murder has become my favorite. What an incredible first side. Not a single song that isn't great. The second side is no slouch. A 10/10 record if there ever was one.

Definitely The Queen Is Dead. At this point it’s iconic, although you could probably say that about any other Smiths album

Back
Top Bottom