Best Singing On A Morrissey Song

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
I was talking over this with a couple of friends last week, and the conclusion that we came to was that his voice sounded the best on Quarry, and we ended up deciding that Let Me Kiss You and Teenage Dad...were outstanding examples of the fine singing voice he had then. Not saying it's bad now, far from it, but those songs and that period were a highpoint. Anyone agree/disagree?

Peter

I have to respectfully disagree Peter...

Your Arsenal would be my favorite. I mean "Tomorrow" - it doesn't get any better vocally....also "I Know Its Gonna Happen..." and the list goes on.

I guess you could pick out great stuff from any album. I just think Your Arsenal combines the younger voice and the older voice of Morrissey through the years and I like that sound best.

I like Quarry b-sides - but Let Me Kiss You is one my least favorite songs he's done - so it's hard for me to like the vocal - as it doesn't sound smooth to me.

I really love his singing on Come Back to Camden, specific lines he just hits perfectly "where taxi drivers never stop talking". You know I couldn't last is great too "so don't let the blueeee eyes fool you" is gorgeous. I also think he just nails it on the KROQ version of Sing Your Life.

The singing on Life Is A Pigsty might not be his best, but it's very appropriate... for the song!

The singing on Life Is A Pigsty might not be his best, but it's very appropriate... for the song!

i agree..
in addition..the world is full of crashing bores..a lot of up and downs in the song..and he's doing it very well..
Dear god please help me..
November spawned a monster..
to me you are a work of art..
so it's really difficult..to choose from one album:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think his voice is superb on Friday Mourning.

I really love his singing on Come Back to Camden, specific lines he just hits perfectly "where taxi drivers never stop talking". You know I couldn't last is great too "so don't let the blueeee eyes fool you" is gorgeous. I also think he just nails it on the KROQ version of Sing Your Life.

Agreed. the use of vibrato and falsetto on this song are superb, he remarked poncily.
But certainly, for me, a career highlight vocal performance.

Really has to say Ringleader, it's outstanding on every singel track - allthough I don't know how Visconti's production affcted it.

& from the point of live shows I have to say Ringleader-era aswell, but that since he fell ill when I saw him earlier this year so it wouln't be fair to judge.

I think most of his vocals are outstanding. If I had to be picky about it, I'd say I'm not a big fan of the vibratto he adds to some notes, for instance on Children with Pieces he does it a bit. (The song is superb.) But otherwise I find his voice to be like that of God on all albums. I suppose my favorites include Lifeguard Sleeping, Ordinary Boys, Sing Your Life, Pigsty, and so many more.

- He Knows I'd Love To See Him
- I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
- Something Is Squeezing My Skull (THAT high note!)
- To Me You Are A Work Of Art
- Now My Heart Is Full
- Come Back To Camden
- Hairdresser On Fire
- I Like You

the end of "children in pieces " is quite wonderful too ! i always think his irish heritage comes out in the "where taxi drivrs.." bit of "camden" . The last five years have been the best years for morrissey as a vocalist i think . certainly in comparison to smiths/early solo gigs he is a million miles better and is now a wonderful crooner when he wants to be - I have always harboured the wish that he would do a few albert hall specials with a full orchestra - that would be a great way to end a career ! see you in ireland if you are going

You're not gonna get consensus on this one, Pete - not that that's what you were after, of course.

I think Crashing Bores is well up there for style and delivery, although, like the Visconti comments, you never know how much is added to a track in the studio.

LMKY is certainly very well sung but I think Work of Art also has a lot to commend it - emotion, timing and expression counting for a lot.

"Dear God Please Help Me" has to be up there.

"I Know It's Over", "That's Entertainment", "Late Night, Maudlin Street", "Now My Heart Is Full", "Human Being"...in fact almost any song on either 'Quarry' or 'Ringleader'.

Back
Top Bottom