Best sentence in Morrissey-song?

Had never seen this clip before -- interesting. It's clear why Morely is one of the few music journos he respects.

I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere, but who is the Elvis impersonator singing TCM lyrics?? Very well done!

Candidates for best sentence are endless, but one I've always liked:

"My love is as sharp as a needle in your eye" from Seasick

As written on the album sleeve

It's how Morrissey wanted them to be printed in the first place.

Yes - an anthology. finish it and post it!

for me, at his most poetic... why pamper life's complexities /when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

I'll let Simon Armitage explain

"He might get a right buggering. Or he might get a ride in a fancy car."

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
As written on the album sleeve

It's how Morrissey wanted them to be printed in the first place.

Yes - an anthology. finish it and post it!

for me, at his most poetic... why pamper life's complexities /when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

I'll let Simon Armitage explain

"He might get a right buggering. Or he might get a ride in a fancy car."

Dave

Thank you for posting that clip. I'd never got around to watching that programme. Morley's correct when he says that despite close reading of the lines, they are still no closer to capturing the mystery or essence of the song. Which is why pop is pop. And lit.crit. is...not
The sooner Morley gets around to mounting a full scale work on Smiths/Morrissey the better. With this, the 'Uncut' piece from 2006, and especially the text he penned for the recent Kevin Cummins collection, it would be a fascinating read.
On the subject of this thread though, it's interesting that the majority of the choices so far appear to be from the solo work. Is that just a function of Smiths=5 years, Morrissey=21 years, or the particular demographic of this forum, or what, I wonder.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Small girls runs crying through the park so freely that her Daddy berates her, and now so for the rest of her life she is convinced that her Daddy hates her'

"I am human and I need to be loved."

You know, that song is SO over-exposed that I don't even listen to it that much anymore, but when I was a miserable lonely teenager that sentence would make me weep. ...For reasons even more personal than I'm willing to detail here. I hope to one day tell Morrissey why I asked him to write it on my arm.

I have the polar opposite reaction to that song & that lyric in particlar.
For me it was always 'well you Morrissey may be sitting around & moping about it but balls to you, I'm not going to.'

Back
Top Bottom