Best sentence in Morrissey-song?

and if the day came when i felt a natural emotion, id get such a shock id probably jump in the ocean.

you wouldnt understand, good sons like you never do

ive seen this happen in other peoples lives, and now its happening in mine

in a darkened underpass, i thought oh god my chance has come at last..........

I also love this one:Then you'll see the glass
Hidden in the grass

I also love this one:Then you'll see the glass
Hidden in the grass

dont rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are...........

and howcould i forget,

he drew a swallow deep and blue and soon everyone knew

She lives for the written word, and people come second or possibly third.

Living longer than I had intended

I once thought that time accentuates despair, but now I don't actually care

Amidst concrete and clay and general decay, Nature must still find a way.

All of These Things Take Time.

I know it's over, and it never really began, but it my heart, it was so real.

I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice.

I smoke cause I'm hoping for an early death and I need to cling to something.

and lots more.

All of these. :)

In addition (for the most part, I took one from each album, otherwise I'd find it too difficult to choose):

"I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving- England is mine, and it owes me a living"

'Accept Yourself', from start to finish.

"A boy is stabbed, and his money is grabbed, and the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine"

"Take me out tonight, where there's music, and there's people, and they're young and alive"

"But to you I was faceless, I was fawning, I was boring- a child from those ugly new houses who could never begin to know..."

"I took the key from Maudlin Street- well, it's only bricks and mortar"

"The saints smile shyly down on you"

"And looking back, we will forgive- we had no choice, we always did"

"My love is as sharp as a needle in your eye. You must be such a fool to pass me by"

"Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie, Cubitt, every jammy Stressford poet. Loafing oafs in all-night chemists..." etc. That whole song is an utter masterpiece.

"Oh, have you ever escaped from a shipwrecked life?"

"Show me a barrel and watch me scrape it"

"Why did you stick me in self-deprecating bones and skin? Jesus, do you hate me?"

"Warm lights from the grand houses blind me. Haves cannot stand have-nots"

"And we will be safe and sheltered in our graves. We'll come before you, and we will kiss you, by way of one final hug, Mama"

Too many others to list. Every time I read people's lists of favourite songs or lyrics, and what they mean to them, I feel overwhelmed by Morrissey's words all over again. :o

There are so many to chose from, but that's why we love him...they stay in your head forever:

Oh Manchester, so much to answer for

Older and wiser, never applies to me

Maladjusted, Maladjusted, never to be trusted

So if I see you, and I tell you
how I watched you, I'm just lost.

And I just can't explain,
so I won't even try too.

Life is very long, when you're lonely

I am the son and the heir
of a shyness that is criminally vulgar

etc,etc!!

:nicethread:
Reading all these responses makes me wish again that Moz had taken up the f&f offer to publish a collected lyrics volume a few years back.

:nicethread:
Reading all these responses makes me wish again that Moz had taken up the f&f offer to publish a collected lyrics volume a few years back.

Seriously!
This thread has been a great read...

Post after post I feel like, "yeah, that's the best line ever."

I've actually been working on just such a volume. I've finally got all the lyrics into word documents, but I need to go through and proofread. I know that passsionsjustlikemine and wor(l)d of morrissey have done excellent jobs of getting the lyrics into a good online format and addressing Morrissey's tendency to change his lyrics continuously. However, for something akin to a book of poetry that I'm thinking of, such footnotes and such would ruin the reading experience. My question to you all is this: should the lyrics be written as sung, or as written on the album sleeve?

If you don't want me, you don't have to have me, I just thought you might feel the same, that's all.

If I smile
Do not be swayed
I simply serve the public image

are you afraid of someone alive?
are you feeling heartbroken
because you'll never be mistaken for a
good looking man about town?

Are you afraid of someone alive?
are you scared to death
of even looking at the flesh
of a good looking man about town?

You've got your degree
and then you flew to Mars
but you still feel wretched because you've
never be naked with a good looking man about town

I have forgiven Jesus
For all of the love
He placed in me
When there's no-one I can turn to with this love

I've actually been working on just such a volume. I've finally got all the lyrics into word documents, but I need to go through and proofread. I know that passsionsjustlikemine and wor(l)d of morrissey have done excellent jobs of getting the lyrics into a good online format and addressing Morrissey's tendency to change his lyrics continuously. However, for something akin to a book of poetry that I'm thinking of, such footnotes and such would ruin the reading experience. My question to you all is this: should the lyrics be written as sung, or as written on the album sleeve?

As written on the album sleeve

It's how Morrissey wanted them to be printed in the first place.

Yes - an anthology. finish it and post it!

for me, at his most poetic... why pamper life's complexities /when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

I'll let Simon Armitage explain

"He might get a right buggering. Or he might get a ride in a fancy car."

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom