Best Morrissey Song: The Bracket

I can't quite fathom this comment. Speedway is a brilliant song, as are the rest. OK, not the exact final 4 I would have picked but certainly no surprise that those songs made it. i voted for Speedway in the final.

Personal taste is a funny thing. Suedehead and Sunday suffer from over-familiarity, perhaps, but there can be no denying their classic status. Pigsty might not be everybody's cup of tea, I can see that, though it strikes me as the standout from Ringleader. And Speedway is absolutely Morrissey at his most imperious - one of his truly greatest songs.

Four of his most overrated songs. A bit disappointing, and hard to care much which among them wins. Pigsty barely rises above the rest on a thoroughly mediocre album, Suedehead and everyday was nice to have around for a year or two, but I would happily go to my grave without hearing either of them again. And I have never understood the enthusiasm for The akward, lumbering Speedway, which I consider one of the weaker tracks on Vauxhall.

Of all the great songs that might have been in that final 4. Oh well.

Such as?

it has to be 'speedway' out of the final two, however, i would have loved to see 'why don't you find out for yourself' gone further in the voting.

We're in the final 9 hours of this thing. And then, the seas part, the sky opens up, and a single song is lifted up to heaven. Or something like that.

Well, that was weird.

The voting is over and a winner has been declared, but I'm 99% sure that it's a mistake. The site says that Everyday Is Like Sunday won with over 73% of the votes, but I know for a fact that Speedway had over 73% of the votes just a few hours before the polls closed (and it was the slowest day so far and THERE WERE ONLY 4 VOTES today). So, it's just not correct. Plus, I went in to view the results and it shows that I voted for the one I didn't. It looks like, somehow, when they tabulated the championship votes, the results were flipped. I've emailed the site to see what is up, but either way, I'm considering SPEEDWAY the winner (and I'm not being biased, as I actually voted for Sunday...).

Kind of anti-climactic like this, though. :(

To be fair, either would make for a worthy winner - both absolutely great Morrissey songs. Sunday is one for the popularists, with Speedway perhaps something of a connoisseur's choice.

To be fair, either would make for a worthy winner - both absolutely great Morrissey songs. Sunday is one for the popularists, with Speedway perhaps something of a connoisseur's choice.

Well put. I love both songs, each for a different reason, but I went with "Speedway" in the end.

Hm, Maladjusted and Now my heart is full would be locks. Joined by, I think, Jack the Ripper and Let me kiss you.

I'm not surprised either, it's all along familiar lines. Just stating my disagreement for the record, as it were. :)

Tags
best song bracket morrissey -solo poll vote
Back
Top Bottom