Best Morrissey Song: The Bracket

The Elite Eight has begun!!

Biggest surprises for me: Life Is A Pigsty took down Hairdresser On Fire. Also, The National Front Disco squeaked by November Spawned A Monster.

And here are the match-ups for the ELITE EIGHT:

• Everyday Is Like Sunday vs. The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get
  • The Last Of The Famous International Playboys vs. Life Is A Pigsty
  • Suedehead vs. The National Front Disco
  • Now My Heart Is Full vs. Speedway

For those interested, here were the seeds () and match-ups of the Final Four songs:

(1) Everyday Is Like Sunday: The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get, Jack The Ripper, Seasick Yet Still Docked, All You Need Is Me
(4) Life Is A Pigsty: The Last Of The Famous International Playboys, Hairdresser On Fire, Will Never Marry, Satan Rejected My Soul
(1) Suedehead: The National Front Disco, Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, Irish Blood English Heart, America Is Not The World
(3) Speedway: Now My Heart Is Full, First Of The Gang To Die, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, Boy Racer

As you see Life Is A Pigsty is the biggest surprise just based on seeding. I had a feeling it would do well, but I actually thought Trouble Loves Me might come out of that portion of the bracket, but Last Of The Famous took it down in the Sweet Sixteen. Speedway may have had the most difficult path, though, in terms of match-ups, taking down Now My Heart Is Full and First Of The Gang To Die.

(Again, the match-up logic for the site isn't correct, as it had the wrong seeds playing each other after the first round, which is why a song like Seasick Yet Still Docked had to go up against Everyday Is Like Sunday in the 2nd round. However, it still meant the top 4 seeds in each "region" would meet up in the Sweet Sixteen, so it played out correct enough and it was worth it to have a top 4 seed.)

The FINAL FOUR!!!!

Everyday Is Like Sunday vs. Life Is A PigstySuedehead vs. Speedway

Vote here.​

I really hope Life Is A Pigsty beats Everyday is like Sunday. I just feel that despite Sunday being a Morrissey classic, Pigsty carries with it a far greater meaning and its entire build up and orchestral granduer is sensational. Out of the others, I think Speedway is by far the superior, another spectacular song. If these two go through, it will be a hard decision as to which gets my vote; though judging by the current polls, Pigsty won't beat Sunday, which is to be expected really. Everyday Is Like Sunday was after all, from Morrissey's first album and one of his most recognisable hits.

I really hope Life Is A Pigsty beats Everyday is like Sunday.

I was super-bored today and all but ensured Pigsty won this round. Many many many votes. I'm a loser, I know.

I went Pigsty and Speedway.

For those interested, here were the seeds () and match-ups of the Final Four songs:

(1) Everyday Is Like Sunday: The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get, Jack The Ripper, Seasick Yet Still Docked, All You Need Is Me
(4) Life Is A Pigsty: The Last Of The Famous International Playboys, Hairdresser On Fire, Will Never Marry, Satan Rejected My Soul
(1) Suedehead: The National Front Disco, Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, Irish Blood English Heart, America Is Not The World
(3) Speedway: Now My Heart Is Full, First Of The Gang To Die, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, Boy Racer

Interesting. Given how the various rounds shaped up, I would have liked to see Sunday, Trouble Loves Me, Why Don't You and Speedway make it to the final four. If Sunday and Speedway do contest the final then that's a pretty good result as they are two of his very finest. I hope Speedway ultimately takes the title though.

Interesting. Given how the various rounds shaped up, I would have liked to see Sunday, Trouble Loves Me, Why Don't You and Speedway make it to the final four. If Sunday and Speedway do contest the final then that's a pretty good result as they are two of his very finest. I hope Speedway ultimately takes the title though.

Yeah, I was really hoping Trouble Loves Me would make it and get some well-deserved respect.

Four of his most overrated songs. A bit disappointing, and hard to care much which among them wins. Pigsty barely rises above the rest on a thoroughly mediocre album, Suedehead and everyday was nice to have around for a year or two, but I would happily go to my grave without hearing either of them again. And I have never understood the enthusiasm for The akward, lumbering Speedway, which I consider one of the weaker tracks on Vauxhall.

Of all the great songs that might have been in that final 4. Oh well.

Last edited:
Four of his most overrated songs. A bit disappointing, and hard to care much which among them wins. Pigsty barely rises above the rest on a thoroughly mediocre album, Suedehead and everyday was nice to have around for a year or two, but I would happily go to my grave without hearing either of them again. And I have never understood the enthusiasm for The akward, lumbering Speedway, which I consider one of the weaker tracks on Vauxhall.

Ouch! Curious to find out which songs you think are most deserving.

If I could simply choose a Final Four, I would still choose Suedehead, but then I'd most likely go with Trouble Loves Me, Seasick Yet Still Docked and maybe I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday or Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself. However, I think the 4 that made it are right up there with his best and do not really surprise me that they beat out all the rest.

I can't quite fathom this comment. Speedway is a brilliant song, as are the rest. OK, not the exact final 4 I would have picked but certainly no surprise that those songs made it. i voted for Speedway in the final.

Tags
best song bracket morrissey -solo poll vote
Back
Top Bottom