Listening face down
Because... we must

Spent the Day in Bed
The More You Ignore Me the Closer I Get
Angel Angel Down We Go Together
Certain People I Know
Dagenham Dave
I'm Not Sorry
What Kind of People Live in these Houses?
In The Future When All's Well
Days of Decision
King Leer
Earth is the Loneliest Planet
All You Need Is Me
Papa Jack

Now this is to some extent quite a grim collection of songs… Top 5 is great stuff, King Leer is cute and Papa Jack a bit underrated. But my God, the rest. 😬

1. Angel
2. Ignore me
3. Not Sorry
4. Certain People
5. In the Future
6. King Leer
7. Papa Jack
8. AYNIM
9. Dagenham
10. Earth Is
11. What Kind of People
12. Spent the Day

Angel is the standout with Ignore close by...but yes, it is a very underwhelming batch of songs.

Am I alone in quite liking What kind of people...? It's a jolly little frothy pop song.

Angel is the standout with Ignore close by...but yes, it is a very underwhelming batch of songs.

Am I alone in quite liking What kind of people...? It's a jolly little frothy pop song.
I don’t care for the lyrics. When he was younger, his misanthropy was cute and expressed with quite a bit of finesse. Today, it just comes across as crude and out of touch.

Top Tier Moz
Certain People I Know
I'm Not Sorry
Papa Jack
All You Need Is Me

Mid Tier
Spent the Day in Bed
Dagenham Dave

Lower Tier
King Leer

'Oh'.
Days of Decision

Let's face the truth . This is the weakest set so far , and the hardest to put in order .

1. All You Need Is Me
2. The More You Ignore Me the Closer I Get
3. In The Future When All's Well
4. I'm Not Sorry
5. Certain People I Know
6. Dagenham Dave
7. Angel Angel Down We Go Together
8. Spent the Day in Bed
9. Earth is the Loneliest Planet
10. What Kind of People Live in these Houses?
11. King Leer
12. Days of Decision
13. Papa Jack

GREAT:
Certain People I Know

MID TIER:
Papa Jack
All You Need Is Me
King Leer
Dagenham Dave
Days of Decision

POOR:
Spent the Day in Bed
I'm Not Sorry

I think it's the best song on Dog on a Chain. Is it the first time Morrissey has ever sung over a Flying Burrito Brothers-style pedal steel guitar? Johnny Marr, I think, used an effects pedal to get the groaning slide twangs on Shakespeare's Sister and Vicar in a Tutu. What Kind of People is at least the equal to the latter. "What carpet chewer | lights up this sewer?"

I think it's the best song on Dog on a Chain. Is it the first time Morrissey has ever sung over a Flying Burrito Brothers-style pedal steel guitar? Johnny Marr, I think, used an effects pedal to get the groaning slide twangs on Shakespeare's Sister and Vicar in a Tutu. What Kind of People is at least the equal to the latter. "What carpet chewer | lights up this sewer?"
It’s just sad that he, at 60, feels the need to berate and mock what, to me at least, seems like honest working- and or middle class folk. He does it here and he does it on I Bury the Living. It was cute when he was in his 20’s, but not now. It feels like arrested development and completely out of synch with his own background and roots.

It’s just sad that he, at 60, feels the need to berate and mock what, to me at least, seems like honest working- and or middle class folk. He does it here and he does it on I Bury the Living. It was cute when he was in his 20’s, but not now. It feels like arrested development and completely out of synch with his own background and roots.

It feels to me like he's just mocking complacency. "They vote the way they vote" and "sleep with who they sleep with" because "they are afraid to taste change" and "their parents did the same." The only strangeness about it is that he also wonders about their sexual proclivities: "the dented gent" who "bends over" and the "carpet chewer" and "rough trade strangers." It's kind of meandering. But I don't feel like it's out of synch with his own background and roots, since he seems to have been dissatisfied with the stultifying pressures to conform from a very young age. He disliked the Catholic cant and the boring masculine norms of Manchester and its working- and middle-class Irish quarters. Should he have outgrown that? The scenery has changed, but masculine norms and triumphalist Christianity are just as bad now as they were then.

Genius - Angel Angel Down We Go Together
Great - The More You Ignore Me the Closer I Get, Certain People I Know,
Really good - Spent the Day in Bed, In The Future When All's Well,
Not bad - Earth is the Loneliest Planet, What Kind of People Live in these Houses? All You Need Is Me. King Leer
Bad - I'm Not Sorry, Papa Jack
Worst song of all time - Dagenham Dave

What Kind of People Live in these Houses? (The great backing track and tone of Morrissey's voice on this make me overlook the dreadfully rudimentary rhyming. I wonder why he has been using it for so long on so many tracks. Has he really gotten that lazy or I am missing something? I guess I'm a bit inconsistent though. "Drop anchor like a sailor" from I'm Playing Easy to Get isn't all that clever either, but also doesn't feel like overkill to me compared to his lyrics from the last 10 years or so)
I'm Not Sorry
All You Need Is Me
King Leer
Days of Decision
Dagenham Dave (I would have ranked this last due to the mostly half-baked lyrics. I find the 1st verse and bridge funny. but the chorus and 2nd verse lazy. The track is ultimately saved by the rest of the band)
Papa Jack
Spent the Day in Bed

Spent the Day in Bed
I'm Not Sorry
Certain People I Know
All You Need Is Me
Days of Decision
King Leer
Papa Jack
Dagenham Dave

1. Spent The Day In Bed
2. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
3. Certain People I Know
4. Dagenham Dave
5. King Leer
6. Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
7. What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?
8. Earth Is The Loneliest Planet
9. In The Future When All's Well
10. Papa Jack
11. I'm Not Sorry
12. All You Need Is Me
13. Days Of Decision

LEADERBOARD

1/ The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get - 106.5 pts
2/ Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together - 92 pts
3/ Certain People I Know - 85.5 pts
4/ In The Future When All's Well - 72.5 pts
5/ Spent The Day In Bed - 67.5 pts