• 2004 (as above, but with strings!)

Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Current (Rats, rats, rats!)

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Ben Budd

Hello friends

Bored at work, and thinking about one of my favourite Morrissey songs 'Jack the Ripper', I realised just how many different incarnations of the track have come and gone live. So, I thought I would start a discussion with other fans about what their favourite version is?

Obviously not all performances of the song on tours are the precise same, but you get the general idea. I've tried to add helpful examples of the version in each option, and if anyone has good examples to share via YouTube, that would be helpful.

My own answer would be the 2004 version. I loved the addition of the strings and weird keyboard noises, the mesh of the 2002 chorus with the solo making a return, and the keeping of the new drum pattern. 2007 seemed a bit dull of lifeless compared to this version.

Also, this may be blasphemy around here, but I am not too keen on what the current version. The rats stuff over the bridge detracts from the haunting and brilliant music, and the last refrain of the chorus followed by the song abruptly ending just kills my mood. Oh well.

Let me know what you think.

Here is mine

The 2004 Who Put the M version is the one I first fell in love with. A love still going strong.

The 2004 Who Put the M version is the one I first fell in love with. A love still going strong.
I think we are in agreement. It combines all of the best parts of the three previous versions, and then adds something new.

I think we are in agreement. It combines all of the best parts of the three previous versions, and then adds something new.
Right! The keyboards add so much to the atmosphere and the drama. That’s what makes it so special. That and Moz’ voice. It’s hoarse in a booming kind of way and very powerful.

You don’t agree, but you don’t refuse…🤤

Hard to say, but maybe 2004 one is better.

We think the current version a tad overwrought and far too pleased with itself.

The maniacal laughing over the solo was at its peak in 2019. Love the introduction of "rats..." too.
A real staple now; lights, smoke, drama. Love it!

Last edited:
It would have to be the original 1992 live version. I'm not familiar with all the iterations since... but for me, it's about how special it was to hear it live for the first time and instantly get how brilliant of a song it was.

It would have to be the original 1992 live version. I'm not familiar with all the iterations since... but for me, it's about how special it was to hear it live for the first time and instantly get how brilliant of a song it was.
Agreed. There really has never been a bad version of it per se, but the ironclad guitars and the locked-in rhythm section on Beethoven set a really high bar. As a Yank who was still filling in the blanks and obtaining singles/B-sides piecemeal, I heard it on World of Morrissey first and it was an instant replay.

Funny that you made this thread; I've long since thought of assembling a live comp of the best versions of that song from each tour

Funny that you made this thread; I've long since thought of assembling a live comp of the best versions of that song from each tour
I would enjoy this.

To get you started - Malmo 2002, Chicago 2004.

The studio version - I love the last verse he never sung live.
As much as I've loved the subtlety altering live version over the years, at this point I would actually welcome a return to the atmospheric mood of the original studio version. Stripped back, understated, but menacing.

Back
Top Bottom