Best album closer on a Moz LP

Gregor Samsa

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope.
1. Speedway
2. Southpaw
3. My Hurling Days are Done
4. I’m OK by Myself
5. Tomorrow
6. There’s a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends
7. At Last I am Born
8. Oboe Concerto
9. Margaret on the Guillotine
10. Sorrow Will Come in the End
11. You Know I Couldn’t Last
12. Israel

Morrissey should learn from The Cure how to write good closers. This is not a strong set of songs.

I think it's a very good batch. Isn't the excellent Satan Rejected My Soul the closer on Maladjusted, though? I live in the US and might have purchased a regional edition. Speedway and Israel are in close competition for the top of this list. I prefer the Introducing Morrissey live versions of most Vauxhall songs, but the studio version of Speedway has the better buzzsaw at the beginning and drum bombast at the end. Steve Lillywhite had gotten a similar sound for the end of Like a Song... by U2. I don't like U2, but War and The Unforgettable Fire are guilty pleasures. The first eleven out of these thirteen I rate either 10/10 or 9/10.

1. Speedway and Israel (tie)
2. You Know I Couldn't Last
3. Satan Rejected My Soul
4. There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends
5. Oboe Concerto
6. Southpaw
7. Tomorrow
8. I'm OK by Myself
9. My Hurling Days are Done
10. Margaret on the Guillotine
11. Some Say I Got Devil
12. At Last I Am Born

I think it's a very good batch. Isn't the excellent Satan Rejected My Soul the closer on Maladjusted, though? I live in the US and might have purchased a regional edition. Speedway and Israel are in close competition for the top of this list. I prefer the Introducing Morrissey live versions of most Vauxhall songs, but the studio version of Speedway has the better buzzsaw at the beginning and drum bombast at the end. Steve Lillywhite had gotten a similar sound for the end of Like a Song... by U2. I don't like U2, but War and The Unforgettable Fire are guilty pleasures. The first eleven out of these thirteen I rate either 10/10 or 9/10.

1. Speedway and Israel (tie)
2. You Know I Couldn't Last
3. Satan Rejected My Soul
4. There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends
5. Oboe Concerto
6. Southpaw
7. Tomorrow
8. I'm OK by Myself
9. My Hurling Days are Done
10. Margaret on the Guillotine
11. Some Say I Got Devil
12. At Last I Am Born
We really have clashing tastes. And you’re right, you have a regional (US) version of Maladjusted. To me, the closer has always been Sorrow.

Some Say I Got Devil and Oboe Concerto are my favourites.

I think You Know I Couldn’t Last and At Last I Am Born are pretty awful.

I usually prefer an understated ending to an album (like Some Girls are Bigger than Others and I Won’t Share You) rather than something overblown and bombastic (like Speedway).

1. Southpaw
2. Hurling
3. Oboe
4. Tomorrow
5. Speedway
6. OK
7. Margaret
8. Couldn’t Last
9. Sorrow
10. Place in Hell
11. At Last
12. Israel

1. Speedway
2. My Hurling Days are Done
3. Tomorrow
4. Southpaw
5. Margaret on the Guillotine
6. You Know I Couldn't Last
7. Israel
8. I'm OK by Myself
9. There's a Place in Hell
10. Some Say I Got Devil
11. At Last I Am Born
12. Sorrow Will Come

I thought Sorrow was pulled from the UK release?

I only know Satan as it’s closer, and assumed it would also be the closer for the UK release.

I think Tomorrow is my favorite as a closer.

Though for various reasons, Southpaw & There’s A Place is close at its heels.

I thought Sorrow was pulled from the UK release?

I only know Satan as it’s closer, and assumed it would also be the closer for the UK release.
The version that was released here in Finland has Sorrow as track 10 and Satan as track 11. I have always that it's the international version and the UK version omitted Sorrow.

The version that was released here in Finland has Sorrow as track 10 and Satan as track 11. I have always that it's the international version and the UK version omitted Sorrow.

cause some or stating Sorrow as a closer. Was Sorrow ever the closer anywhere?

Damn. Maybe I made a mistake. I don’t have my cd available and thus can’t check. If that is the case, that Satan closed the international edition, I may have to rewrite my list.

Sorrow Will Come was the last track on the re-issue, maybe that’s where the confusion is coming from.
That must be it. The European issue had Satan as the last track and Sorrow as the penultimate?

I'll just comment on the songs I like from the group, apart from the Speedway they're in random order:

Speedway: This has to be his best solo closer by a good distance. It's a shame what's been done to it in the live setting.

Southpaw: Southpaw Grammer starts and ends strong... but much of what's in between doesn't move me. I know others have suggested alternate versions using some b-sides, but I think it could have just been an amazing 4-5 song EP.

Tomorrow: Nice way to end YA on an up note. I think it also suggests that Morrissey was feeling a lot more optimistic than during the Kill Uncle era (recording not the tour).

Margaret on the Guillotine: Great closer to his first and still one of his best solo albums.

You Know I Couldn’t Last: Love the autobiographical tone of this one.

Satan Rejected My Soul: I adore this song but maybe not the best closer? Then again, I do prefer it to Sorrow which may be the more obvious choice.

There’s a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends: I prefer the version on Morrissey at KROQ, but the slow and melancholic piano version seems like the perfect closer to what's IMO a patchy album. I can't help but feel it emotionally reflects where Morrissey was at the time.

Last edited:
Damn. Maybe I made a mistake. I don’t have my cd available and thus can’t check. If that is the case, that Satan closed the international edition, I may have to rewrite my list.
I think Sorrow was intended to be the closer but was pulled from the UK release for legal reasons. So the UK closer was Satan.

Back
Top Bottom