Best 80s band apart from The Smiths

Best 80s band apart from The Smiths

• Total voters
why is everyone voting for rem? singles, yes, they are excellent, but the albums on whole are really poor and dull.

vivaissy said:
why is everyone voting for rem? singles, yes, they are excellent, but the albums on whole are really poor and dull.

Meaning which albums? The last couple maybe, but we are talking 80s here.
Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Document and Green are all excellent albums with occasional poor singles :)

Like The Smiths, REM were an album band much more than a singles band, although they tried.

How anyone could choose REM as their fav 80's band after the Smiths is beyond me. Other than the one or two decent songs that were put out by them in the 80's they F-in SUCK dogs balls. Their only decent release being Monster which didnt hit the streets till mid to late 90's.

Everyone who chose REM needs to rethink that. Especially when you have albums like:

New Order: Substance & Power Corruption and Lies

Depeche Mode: Music for the masses

Echo & the Bunnymen: Ocean Rain & Self Title

The Cure: The Top & Head on the Door

OMD: Best of & Dazzle Ships

The Housemartins: People who Grinned themselves to Death

u2: Joshua Tree & Unforgettable Fire

Flesh for LuLu: Post Cards from Paradise

Modern English: After the Snow

Violent Femms: Self Title

etc....etc... the list is endless of bands that should come before REM. All I can say is that you people are F-ing MAD for choosing them. Just my opinion. And since opinions are like assholes and everyone has got one, that one is mine !!!!!! hehehehehe

BR

what are you trying to say here, dont beat around the bush

BoyRacer said:
How anyone could choose REM as their fav 80's band after the Smiths is beyond me. Other than the one or two decent songs that were put out by them in the 80's they F-in SUCK dogs balls. Their only decent release being Monster which didnt hit the streets till mid to late 90's.

Everyone who chose REM needs to rethink that. Especially when you have albums like:

New Order: Substance & Power Corruption and Lies

Depeche Mode: Music for the masses

Echo & the Bunnymen: Ocean Rain & Self Title

The Cure: The Top & Head on the Door

OMD: Best of & Dazzle Ships

The Housemartins: People who Grinned themselves to Death

u2: Joshua Tree & Unforgettable Fire

Flesh for LuLu: Post Cards from Paradise

Modern English: After the Snow

Violent Femms: Self Title

etc....etc... the list is endless of bands that should come before REM. All I can say is that you people are F-ing MAD for choosing them. Just my opinion. And since opinions are like assholes and everyone has got one, that one is mine !!!!!! hehehehehe

BR

No one has mentioned The Housemartins or The Wedding Present. Or Siouxsie & The Banshees.

The Goat

I voted Pixies from the selection, but actually my favourite band from the 80s (apart from the Smiths) is The Raincoats. I don't think many people on here appreciate them, but I just find their music to be incredibly charming. I also met Gina Birch recently at the Slits and Buzzcocks gig at Selfridge's and she was the nicest person in the world and we had an interesting conversation.

I think it's better to categorise the poll as the best 80s US band and UK band separately then it'd be clearer and easier.;) I like most of the bands nominated, however, I vote for Momus. He's very under-rated and a unique figure emerged in 80s.

Last edited:
I voted other, my top 10 80's band would be

1. The Smiths
2. The Wedding Present
3. The Fall
4. The Jesus and Mary Chain
5. New Order
6. Spacemen 3
7. The Housemartins
8. Husker Du
9. Half Man Half Biscuit
10. Big Country

The Goat said:
No one has mentioned The Housemartins or The Wedding Present. Or Siouxsie & The Banshees.

The Goat

I love The Wedding Present.

I'm also giving an honerable mention to Public Enemy who nobody's voted for - including me - 'cause they were ace when they came out.

Looking at this poll it's made me realise that there don't seem to be any important bands anymore, ones that actually change peoples' lives.

Great poII choices. I couIdn't decide between PIXIES, Depeche Mode or Joy Division so I voted for the one I've been cIoser to comitting suicide whiIe Iistening to their music.........JOY DIVISION! ;)

1. THE SMITHS
2. Joy Division
3. Pixies
4. Depeche Mode
5. Echo and the Bunnymen
6. Jesus and Mary Chain
7. The RepIacements
8. The Cure
9. Pet Shop Boys
10. Bauhaus

HonorabIe mentions.....R.E.M., Sisters Of Mercy, PsychedeIic Furs,
Ministry[mid-Iate 80's]

PS- Bernard Summer is/was NEVER cute!! Everyone <nows that the HOT guy in the band has aIways been STEPHEN MORRIS!! yum!

1. Morrissey / The Smiths
2. The Cure
3. Cocteau Twins
4. Ian McCulloch / Echo and the Bunnymen
5. The Mighty Lemon Drops
6. The Wild Swans
7. Xymox
8. The Sundays
9. Caifanes
10. Fobia

The best band in the eighties: The Sisters of Mercy! No discussion about it! And Dead can Dance, always good Music for the silent moments in life.

And, DAnn Coulter, very very bad picture in your signature, I saw those Situations in Life a several times, that isn't funny, really it is not!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom