Best 60s artists

Best 60s artist

• Total voters
I'm sorry- I can't vote... There are TOO many great artists of the 60's- The Doors, Leonard Cohen, VU, The bands Janis Joplin played in...!

it was hard to vote...
one of my favourites are the Small faces, then the walker brothers & scott walker, what about sixties soul marvin gaye, otis redding, james brown.
johnny cash is also a 60s artist.
what a wonderful era of pop music.
what a great thread.

i'm a total freak for 60s music - this list, while having some great bands, didn't hit really any of the bands/artists that do it for me.

the millennium
sagittarius
the association
free design
the ballroom
marvin gaye
bob lind
the goldebriars
orpheus

...to name a few. long live sunshine pop!!!

From the VERY limited list above (i need soul!), this is how I'd rank the top ones:

1. The Kinks
2. The Beach Boys
3. Love
4. The Beatles

The Beatles are the latest and the greatest of them all. And of course Dylan and the Velvets too. I'm not sure if Leonard Cohen should be considered a '60s artist, though, I think that he was more interesting during the '70s-'80s.

Good question, see it's neck to neck with beatles & VU at the moment.
My top 4 ave to be:
1. Velvet Underground
2. The Beatles
3. The Doors
4. The Kinks

doors, jefferson airplane, csn, byrds, janis joplin, strawberry alarmclock, love, moody blues, that very ancient genesis stuff was pretty good too, and all the psychedelic san fran bands whose names I just forgot.

Leonard Cohen

if you're talking about influential it has to be the beatles but i've never been a fan at all and would pick the who :)

Oh, that's a tough one. Overall - I have to go with the Kinks as I never tire of them. The Beatles definately shook up the music industry, got to give them credit for that. I've always like The Who but just recently started realizing how incredible they really were. I can only take the Doors in small doses; dated a guy once who played them all the time, thought I was going to pull my hair out.

The Beatles and The Velvet Underground,without question

If you have their albums,you don't need much more

well I heard of this band before but it renewed my interest when I
posted a thread about 'best/favourite'videoclips'... and someone [ the more
you explore me,... if I'm right] posted about a big 8 minutes of 60's musical
history, and since than I listen to them a lot

oh yeah, its

JEFFERSON AIPLAINE

damnit, I forget the best chansonnier ever

MR Jacques Brell

and soullegends like Otis Redding, Marvin Gay, the 4 Tops, Ella Fitzgerrald,
Diana Ross [ the womangroup she was in], Tina& Ike [the bastard, but he's
dead]

pff Motown was a legend in the 60's

[Jimmy H. and other freaks like Zappa/Clapton,Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, never said anything about my life, and are just names for me]

the small faces and the kinks are Ok too, but they were more 70's
[like led Z. and deep purple and other ones I just mentioned]

ElvisPresley1.jpg

"...there is a light that never goes out..."

they were all great really. gonna have to be predictable and go with the Beatles, although I love almost all 60s music. some of the greatest music ever made came from that decade.

Back
Top Bottom