Bernard Sumner (New Order) on Morrissey

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...e-hated-work-and-normality-1.3952803?mode=amp

Excerpt:
Did Johnny broach the subject of his former bandmate, Morrissey, and his increasingly questionable endorsements of a far-right fringe party called For Britain?

“I think we questioned his dubious politics,” Sumner answers. “He has become a bit toxic, hasn’t he? The world has gone a bit like that at the moment. We were only discussing this at dinner last night. It’s gone a bit pear-shaped. These are very strange times and a lot of things don’t seem to make sense. We’ve got Brexit in the UK. I’m not a fan. Obviously you’ve got Mr Trump. I find it difficult to call him President Trump. Let’s call him Resident Trump.”

Personally, I disagree. But glad you made the distinction. They played 4 (maybe 5) Joy Division tracks tonight.

D039DBC6-96D1-4285-B01D-459F081EB20F.jpeg
Nice big crowd waiting for New Order In Bristol tonight.

“On this splendid occasion, of this glorious defeat"

Yes, agree with his views or not, the world must give him credit. For Morrissey has always quite naturally taken the more interesting position.

True contrarian and outsider, even in ‘defeat’ Morrissey wins.

:cool:

Imagine being so mentally ill that you feel it's necessary to defend Morrissey against every single person who disagrees with him even slightly. You worship an indefensible, washed-up loser who hasn't written a good song in close to 15 years. He is not "still the king" nor are his positions "interesting." Grow up, you f***ing idiot.

Big crowd at Bristol???:lbf::lbf:

maybe 700 spaced out twats, that venue is the size of a living room.:lbf:

everybody seems to wearing blue and saluting tho, whats that all about?o_O

Imagine being so mentally ill that you feel it's necessary to defend Morrissey against every single person who disagrees with him even slightly. You worship an indefensible, washed-up loser who hasn't written a good song in close to 15 years. He is not "still the king" nor are his positions "interesting." Grow up, you f***ing idiot.
How does it feel to be more moronic than an “idiot”?

How is she an idiot when you're on here going off calling Morrissey a loser and washed up. Where's your Broadway show? Where's your catalog of amazing music? Disagree with Moz, fine but come with an argument not a bunch of shit talk and get mad that other people still appreciate him

“On this splendid occasion, of this glorious defeat"

Yes, agree with his views or not, the world must give him credit. For Morrissey has always quite naturally taken the more interesting position.

True contrarian and outsider, even in ‘defeat’ Morrissey wins.

:cool:

Thanks Ketamine, that phrase has been buzzing around my head for weeks.

I reckon you lots are quite thick inn n nnnnnnnnnn it. Again, The California Son has no f***ing idea what "for Brittin" is or "Bricksit" is. All he knows is that the
Mporium uk profit margin went up 75% and he doesn't need to tour "the uk" because all the foreigner Brittish people think he writes this shit when it's Kylier in the
Rancho Cucamoga office while he is at farmers markets in Malibu with The California Girl shopping for avocados. Wake the f*** up mates inn nnnn nnn nnn nnnn nnnn n it.

must be the Prince Shintohauk salute back from Cambodia all the white peeps are giving.:paranoid:

who's bernie kidding?

bernard used to have a confederate flag on his guitar see here

also all the nazi imagery in early joy division

It's unlikely that Bernard put the sticker on there himself, it was most likely Hooky/the crew who did (hooky also spray paints messages all over his amps). Regardless of the sticker, Bernard has made his viewpoints very clear. He's anti brexit, in favor of better public schooling, and just spoken out about the NHS lack of funding regarding mental health services for young people

Wonder why both groups had names linked with Nazi Germany.
Joy Division being the name given to Jewish women in concentration camps who were used by the Nazis for sex. New order being the name Hitler would give to his new style of government of Europe.
I wonder what Bernard really talks about with the boys when not discussing "toxic" politics of other people.
Have you heard of irony or punk rock?

Life in America under Trump is no different than under Obama or Bush, except maybe less mass shootings and terrorist attacks.

Who knew Sumner had f*** all to contribute? Hmm, Trump bad, toxic, blah, blah, blah...
I love his music but his words and lyrics mean nothing.
I think you're just knocking him because you think his very mild statement about Morrissey is some kind of attack. Morrissey is toxic to himself most of all and I don't think he would disagree. They asked a question and he could have said "no comment" but he just told how he felt. So what?
But about the lyrics I think that you could call them either vague or impressionistic depending on how specific you feel a lyric should be. I think it allows the listener to have their own experience with the lyrics. It's like a film where you are presented with images and you feel something but you're not told what to feel.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom