Bernard Sumner (New Order) on Morrissey

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...e-hated-work-and-normality-1.3952803?mode=amp

Excerpt:
Did Johnny broach the subject of his former bandmate, Morrissey, and his increasingly questionable endorsements of a far-right fringe party called For Britain?

“I think we questioned his dubious politics,” Sumner answers. “He has become a bit toxic, hasn’t he? The world has gone a bit like that at the moment. We were only discussing this at dinner last night. It’s gone a bit pear-shaped. These are very strange times and a lot of things don’t seem to make sense. We’ve got Brexit in the UK. I’m not a fan. Obviously you’ve got Mr Trump. I find it difficult to call him President Trump. Let’s call him Resident Trump.”

Maybe in the USA he sells out some venues, but he hasn't sold out any UK gigs I've been to in recent years.

Or his team say they are sold out on Morrissey Central and then tickets miraculously appear at discounted prices as they did for the Broadway shows.

you dont have to worry about :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: or New Order tix being on secondary sellers.:rofl:

I'm obviously still a Moz fan but I do think Moz has become increasingly negative over the years. He sees a glass half full with a crack at the bottom. At least in interviews.

‘increasingly negative’? I wonder. Maybe Morrissey is just being more himself as he’s getting on in his years, comfortable and accepting of his own views and caring less what this mad world thinks of him. He’s never desired to be a part of the brainless herd.

On topic...

I wonder if a band just starting would dare call themselves Joy Division, how far would they get? surely they would be cutdown with the opinions of the Guardian, etc even before they had a real chance.

The world has changed, Morrissey hasn’t.

:cool:

"He's always been xenophobic and he's always wished for some past that never existed. Does he really think the past would have treated his Irish immigrant family better?"

:confused:

it just doesnt add up. what does xenophobia have to do with a "past that never existed"?
wtf that does even mean?
then, followed by, 'the past (the actual past, or the past that never existed, apples and oranges :lbf:)
would have treated his Irish immigrant better?" "pasts" LOL are not "racist" people.:lbf:

if hes "xenophobic" why would he want a "past":crazy: that would have treated the Irish better.:rolleyes:
I'll take the bait. *sigh*
Someone said he hasn't changed. I agree with that. "He's always been xenophobic," and by that I mean I don't really recall him talking about immigration but he did have "life is hard enough when you belong here," directed at an immigrant, and I interpret that to mean "you don't belong here." But it was said in a sort of gentle way.
That covers "he's always been xenophobic."
Next up, "he's always wished for a past that didn't exist."
His imagery seemed nostalgic even at the start of The Smiths. There is a radio interview, possibly for "Songs That Saved Your Life" or another time when he is talking about a collection of songs he likes, and he talks about the way Manchester has changed and become unrecognizable. Then there are lyrics about "those ugly new houses."
Can we agree that he seems to long for the past?
And I'm saying that the past he longs for is idealized, as is very common with nostalgia. We night like to go back to "the way things used to be" but once we got there I think we would look around and notice things we don't exactly like.
So, "a past that didn't exist."
And as his family were Irish immigrants I'm suggesting that maybe the way the Irish were treated is one of the things about the past that he might not appreciate.
You can disagree with every part of that but there is a logical thread.

He really needs to go back to playing smaller venues, like Manchester Apollo size.

Or more likely he will refuse to play there at all.

We’ll see what he does when the next album is released, maybe by then the media will stop hounding him and the political climate will (as it does) change for the better for all.

Time will tell.

a DRIVERS LICENSE is a PRIVILEGE not a right. When you get your DL at the DL office they give you a little pamphlet that states a DRIVERS LICENSE is a PRIVILEGE. maybe in the left loon states they changed it and its only a privilege if you are a citizen, work and havent committed any crimes.:lbf:

any walkabout can sign up on twitter FFS. when they have those hearings in congress,maybe the twitter dude
will berate the senators demanding they STFU, its a PRIVILEGE for twitter to be here!!!:crazy:
we can ban DECENT FOLKS AND NON BABUSHKAS!!!!:swear

dont foresee that happening.
A drivers license is a privilege granted by the state.
Posting on twitter is a privilege granted by twitter.

Yes, anyone can do it and most don't have a problem. Sometimes they do remove people and sometimes these people (pretend to) believe that their freedom of speech has been violated.
I don't agree with some of Twitters policies but it's a private company.

Or more likely he will refuse to play there at all.

We’ll see what he does when the next album is released, maybe by then the media will stop hounding him and the politically climate will (as it does) change for the better for all.

Time will tell.
You can't really believe that he's being hounded. He may have misjudged "the political climate," but all of these people didn't get together and pull his name out of a hat and then start harassing him.

You can't really believe that he's being hounded. He may have misjudged "the political climate," but all of these people didn't get together and pull his name out of a hat and then start harassing him.

The Guardian got the ball rolling and others seeing that he was fair game followed suit.

Interesting that we haven’t heard a peep from the Guardian after Morrissey’s and Katsis’s last comments.

Wonder why they backed down? Maybe because it was obvious to even them that they have become what they were rightfully being accused of, stalking and harassing Morrissey.

MD: Who came up with the brilliant name “New Order”?

BS: That’s a funny story. So many people thought we were Nazis because of the name Joy Division. At a certain point, we were sick of hearing the same questions over and over again. So we were really eager to look for a new name that was completely neutral and didn’t have any Nazi connotations whatsoever. We all came up with loads of names but they were all rubbish. Then one day our then manager Rob Gretton came to the rehearsals and waved a copy of The Guardian above his head. He started to read to us an article about the rise and fall of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia and how the defeat of Prince Sihanouk gave way to a “new order”. He read the “new order” phrase again and said: “Here we have it.” What we liked most about it was that it sounded so neutral.
Well he's hardly going to say, "we decided to continue with the nazi theme after joy division"

I'll take the bait. *sigh*
Someone said he hasn't changed. I agree with that. "He's always been xenophobic," and by that I mean I don't really recall him talking about immigration but he did have "life is hard enough when you belong here," directed at an immigrant, and I interpret that to mean "you don't belong here." But it was said in a sort of gentle way.
That covers "he's always been xenophobic."
Next up, "he's always wished for a past that didn't exist."
His imagery seemed nostalgic even at the start of The Smiths. There is a radio interview, possibly for "Songs That Saved Your Life" or another time when he is talking about a collection of songs he likes, and he talks about the way Manchester has changed and become unrecognizable. Then there are lyrics about "those ugly new houses."
Can we agree that he seems to long for the past?
And I'm saying that the past he longs for is idealized, as is very common with nostalgia. We night like to go back to "the way things used to be" but once we got there I think we would look around and notice things we don't exactly like.
So, "a past that didn't exist."
And as his family were Irish immigrants I'm suggesting that maybe the way the Irish were treated is one of the things about the past that he might not appreciate.
You can disagree with every part of that but there is a logical thread.

so it was the other dude who said he was xenophobic.:rolleyes:
you google 'hasnt changed' and 'xenophic' pops up.:crazy:

You suggest he LONGS for the Past about how Manchester was but also for another past where he would have been hypothetically treated better? WTF why would he at the same time have nostalgia for 'the way things use to be":crazy:
nostalgia is for the past that did exist not the one that didnt.o_O

:lbf:

im not surprised Stalinpipe is here, he of Stalin bad all other commies good.:lbf:

A drivers license is a privilege granted by the state.
Posting on twitter is a privilege granted by twitter.

Yes, anyone can do it and most don't have a problem. Sometimes they do remove people and sometimes these people (pretend to) believe that their freedom of speech has been violated.
I don't agree with some of Twitters policies but it's a private company.

:crazy:

where do you get your information FFS:rolleyes:
I can sign up for twitter and nobody stops me, I barge into the DL office making demands
and they call the snowflake police on me.o_O
in fact i can sign up for twitter every day from here to eternity.:lbf:

BAD NEWS for the"cambodian":lbf: cucks: New Order show in Bristol DID NOT SELL OUT.:rock:

lol douchebag,

you probably also think that Sid Vicious, DAF, Rammstein , Laibach are also nazis. lol. never thought Moz-fans are so dumb
LOL Bouche dag.
No I don't actually.
Moz drapes himself in the union Jack and is called a nazi. His politics are toxic according to Bernard who likes confederate flags and nazi paraphernalia.
Isn't it ironic, don't you think? LOLLLL.....

New Order had not played Bristol in 35 YEARS!!!!!!
THATS 35 BIG ONES!!
AND STILL COULDNT SELL OUT!
:lbf:

EMBARRASING.:oops::straightface:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom