Bergen, Norway - Grieghallen (Aug. 6, 2016) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / You Have Killed Me / Ganglord / Speedway / Staircase At The University / Have-A-Go Merchant / I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / Istanbul / Meat Is Murder / It’s Hard To Walk Tall When You’re Small / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Bullfighter Dies / Scandinavia / All You Need Is Me / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / Jack The Ripper / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Oboe Concerto // Let Me Kiss You / Irish Blood, English Heart

setlist provided by Sarcasmos.

• Photo: @uursuus / Twitter. Link posted by docinwestchester.

38915_bergen.jpg

Last edited:
Totally disagree- this is a good mix of old and new. Some of us haven't been to every single previous concert and haven't heard everything live which is why it's great that he varies it up.

I’m a longtime Morrissey fan and I never post here… but I just popped on to check out the setlist and I can’t describe how disappointed I am. I’m actually more angry this time. Angry at myself because I actually thought Moz might shake things up a little and come out with a fresh set.

Morrissey is an incredibly selfish performer, he sings what he wants to sing, not what we want to hear. But even under that umbrella of law, he could still give audiences a set that will excite people. Ganglord has no business being in a 2016 setlist. Paris? He’s still playing f***ing Paris? I think he’s played it at every show since its debut 9 years ago. It’s a mediocre album track at best, not a seminal Morrissey song that’s played live endlessly. World Peace, Kiss Me A Lot, Istanbul and Meat Is Murder all in row? That’s a block of songs where you can leave the venue, get a cheese sandwich, eat it at the cafe and come back having missed nothing. Its all garbage and I defy audiences not to make a run for the toilet or bar during that stretch. He’s got a set a balls playing those tracks at all, let alone back to back.

Scandinavia is also a terrible song that should not be a live track. The dreadful Oboe Concerto follows the lackluster Far-Off Places and it’s polished off by the mediocre and overplayed Let Me Kiss You with an encore of Irish Blood… a great track that should be retired from the live roster along with First of the Gang.

I don’t know any other artist who deliberately rams their new material down the throat of audiences. He might as well come out and say “Hi, I’m Morrissey… I’m going to play most of my latest album for you (now over two years old), then I’m going to play selections from the last decade or so of material that no one really cared about. If there’s any room left, I’ll play some songs you might actually want to hear, but it’s all stuff I’ve been playing into the ground for the past few years anyway.”

For longtime fans, this set has nothing of merit. Everything on this set (apart from Have-A-Go) has been played to death over the years to the point where hearing them performed live is about as exciting as watching a movie you’ve seen 100 times. I’d be numb to these songs in person.

The casual fan will be bewildered by the lack of presence of any crowd pleasers aside from Suedehead and Everyday Is Like Sunday. There’s nothing here for them either.

So who is this set for? Well, I guess it’s for Morrissey. But he’s not the one paying hundreds of dollars for the pleasure. I have to imagine that even the band rolled their eyes when they saw the setlist for this tour. They must be sick of playing half these songs.

There are of course the blinded fools who will say this set is perfectly fine. Probably the lunatics who line up all day to press themselves against the stage. I’m sure they’d be fine if Morrissey sang America Is Not The World 19 times in a row. But those of us who aren’t enamored by his every syllable and gesture expect and deserve more.

And that’s the frustrating thing. Morrissey can manhandle a crowd with the right setlist. It wouldn’t even be so hard. Just play songs you’ve played in the past. Take out Paris, Bores, Far-Off Places, Oboe, Scandinavia, Ganglord and World Peace…. Replace with Playboys, Nobody Loves Us, Lost, Our Frank, Maudlin Street, NF Disco and toss in a Smiths song. It’s not that hard. Audiences would love it.

I’m no fan of The Cure, but on their latest tour, they learned 100 songs, play for nearly three hours and mix it up every night. Now obviously we know Morrissey would never give us that. The longest show he’ll do will tap out at 90 minutes. The shorter set means that each of the 19-22 songs are prime real estate in his set. And look what he’s giving us! He’s always been an artist that convinced himself that his latest efforts are his best work. He wants us to feel the same way. But we don’t. Don’t get me wrong, he has some extraordinary songs in the past 20 years alone. I think Staircase is as good as anything he did in the 90’s… but for f***’s sake, mix it up a bit.

Is anyone else as frustrated about this or will you guys just accept anything the king bestows upon you? Fans should revolt and just not give him the money. I think I’m done going to Morrissey concerts, which is very regretful. I can’t support this.

I truly feel sorry for audiences in Hong Kong, Imdonesia, Singapore and Thailand who will have their one and only Morrissey concert experience be marred by such a dreadful setlist.

Crikey! Thank you ! This post is more spot-on than any of me girlfriends knickers after a good night of period sex!

Two weeks to Manchester, the only UK gig (and as we know we can interperate the 'unlikely to play the UK again' quote) but regardless of the set-list, I'm really looking forward to seeing Moz again-having not seen him for 4-5 years-purely because of the lack of quality albums and going through the motions shows-which is probably what it will be in a fortnight. We should accept that the guy is touching 60 years of age- the energy of the Smiths are early solo gigs no longer survives,yet, Morrissey is still the most curious of artists and over the next days there'll be the occasional 'what a great night' comments....in general, we're all on here commenting because we care.

Spot on. Marred cannot just read and ignore. He has to jump to Morrissey's defence. It's a knee jerk reaction. A disease. The funniest part of all is not Adam's ignorance of this, not his hidden homosexuality, not his obsession with barcodes, nor his duck faced selfies he used to post here. The funniest part is that Moz would loathe him.

The set list is SHIT. Admit it you gormless bots. It's just fodder.
How brave of you anonymous. Although I can probably guess which little shit you are. Keep spouting your drivel. How is calling me a closeted homosexual an insult? Anyone who uses that term meaning for it to insult someone has some real problems.

Last edited:
Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / You Have Killed Me / Ganglord / Speedway / Staircase At The University / Have-A-Go Merchant / I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / Istanbul / Meat Is Murder / It’s Hard To Walk Tall When You’re Small / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Bullfighter Dies / Scandinavia / All You Need Is Me / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / Jack The Ripper / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Oboe Concerto / Let Me Kiss You // Irish Blood, English Heart

setlist provided by Sarcasmos.

I was there last night with my parents; we all really enjoyed it. No smiths songs other than MiM though but I wasn't too fussed. Moz and the band looked/sounded great and there was a really nice atmosphere; everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The venue was absolutely fantastic, really small and intimate with a tiny standing area at the front. I was right at the back - it was mostly sold out but there was a strange row of about six seats in front of me which were empty (which was actually really great for me - I jumped down there so was able to dance/wave my arms about/sing along without annoying the people next to me). All in all definitely worth making the trip to Norway; Bergen is beautiful as well!
I can't figure out how to post a pic from my phone (slightly hungover, a little too much red wine last night after the show) but there's a couple on my Instagram if anyone's interested - @mycatmorrissey - feel free to have a look.

This thread epitomises why All You Need Is Me is back on the setlist.

Morrissey plays what he wants to play. He's gone on record with that.

I went to seven shows last year, and last night's setlist was significantly changed to where it started in 2015.

Morrissey cannot tailor a new setlist for every single show. When did he last play Norway folks? Have the Norweigan audience had a show with the WP set? I didn't think so. Same goes for the cities on the rest of the 2016 itinerary.

Equally, if he played 'new' 'new' songs, they'd get slated on here based on one airing and poor quality boots that won't reflect the recorded song. Eother way, he loses.

Sone of you really need to have a word with yourselves. Lighten Up Morrissey-Solo.

SSOB
They just love to whinge, that's all. You have to understand slagging off Morrissey every breath he takes is the only thing getting most of these twats up out of bed.

i have been to over 15 Morrissey gigs and this Setlist doesn't inspire me at all. The world peace songs are not great live. I found the Leeds gig a couple of years ago a bit of a yawn fest with a WPINOYB heavy set list.

Fine if he doesn't want to play Smiths songs but if so drop the worst one. Watching that slaughter for the uptown time doesn't appeal nor does the almost obligatory crap that he plays on screen before he comes on.

I used to Love Morrissey and his ability to surprise but sad to say, since Quarry, he has been going steadily down hill.

For the first tour since 1995 I won't be attending due to this and the ridiculous prices.

It's all gone a bit sour where Morrissey is concerned for me.

I was there last night with my parents; we all really enjoyed it. No smiths songs other than MiM though but I wasn't too fussed. Moz and the band looked/sounded great and there was a really nice atmosphere; everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The venue was absolutely fantastic, really small and intimate with a tiny standing area at the front. I was right at the back - it was mostly sold out but there was a strange row of about six seats in front of me which were empty (which was actually really great for me - I jumped down there so was able to dance/wave my arms about/sing along without annoying the people next to me). All in all definitely worth making the trip to Norway; Bergen is beautiful as well!
I can't figure out how to post a pic from my phone (slightly hungover, a little too much red wine last night after the show) but there's a couple on my Instagram if anyone's interested - @mycatmorrissey - feel free to have a look.
Glad it was a great concert for you. I can't wait for October!

I was at the show and found it pretty good. Would anyone know if it was recorded in full?

Even if the setlist is not to your liking, it changes throughout the tour so just relax.

Have-A-Go Merchant was never a major track, but it's pretty cool to see it resurrected here. Guitars sounded right on.

I'd rather see The Monkees. At least they'll be playing new songs off their critically acclaimed new album. In fact I am. Eat that Mozzer who berated them on Hangin' With MTV back in 92'. He should cover I Know What I Know instead of Let Me Diss You for the thumpteenth time!

Hmm. Some of us said, those songs are related with recent incidents. Ok, that's true up to some extent. ;)

But how about this: "(regarding yesterdays show) any words for Nice or Dhaka attack, Istanbul or Kabul bombings ?" Yes? No? Who knows? World peace is our business? Just singing boring songs including few words about peace, police violence? :straightface:

I know, we cannot blame him. He doesn't have to play "the brave one." But frankly, if he's still insisting on peace things, he better say something. Think of MIM video. His beloved, Mr. Sam, can shoot a video about issues. Too many loses, too many innocent people are dying. Besides those poor animals.. I'm sure it won't be too hard to shoot a 2-3 minutes video. :rock:

Why does he feel the need to advertise selling out minor venues in places like Bergen where curious locals will go and watch almost anyone who's kind enough to make the trek up over mountain & up fjord to entertain them? I'm sure most people there weren't Morrissey 'fans' and couldn't give a toss about setlists, he's just a vaguely notorious 80s singer and a bit of a change from an a-ha gig, but obviously not as good as an a-ha gig.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom