Benedict Cumberbatch quotes Morrissey lyrics in interview

Via The Daily Beast:

Benedict Cumberbatch on 'The Imitation Game,' Homophobia, and How to Combat ISIS - The Daily Beast

DB: "There’s still a lot of homophobia in the U.S., as well."

BC: "Oh, the Christian far right? Yes. Very homophobic. You need to have a female president next, and then after that, a gay president. That’s the full journey from Obama’s legacy onwards. There’s a great Morrissey lyric from “America Is Not the World” from You Are the Quarry that goes, “In America, the land of the free, they said / And of opportunity, in a just and truthful way / But where the president is never black, female or gay, and until that day / You’ve got nothing to say to me, to help me believe.” It’s quite an old song from before Obama took office, but you’ve done black, then you need to do female, then the next, gay."

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you go black, you never go back to the old house.

A black gay female U.S. President anyone? There was the Rice woman, she was pretty high up with that last cock, wasn't she? CR

I love him. He is a great actor, and quite articulate as a pundit. I like him even more thanks to the Moz reference.

I looked at the comments and found something strikingly similar to responses viewed on ms-solo in regards to Morrissey's statements, when someone declares "Shut up and sing!" ;P

Queenofquitealot
Benny, shut up and act. Not everyone has a liberal world view. This does not make them evil. Not all right wing Christian Americans are homophobes -- and here's a news flash there are a lot of us in the good ol' USA. Gosh, I like you a lot less now. You seem to be an anti-Christian bigot. It's so sad, but you'll probably win an Oscar because the Hollywood left love your anti-Christian hate.

In reference to Touring, in my industry and education background (Computer Information Technology), Touring has not been forgotten, and in fact, is revered. Ironically, this is in the same community that is comprised of predominantly right-wing gay-haters. I guess some people's loyalties are based on mathematics and science first, and their religion second. I'm guessing the author of the aforementioned comment is neither a scientist or a humasexual.

That is a silly notion that you just pick and choose people with a certain background to become president just cause some people want that. Politics are about more important things and what we can learn from the years with Obama is that a marionette president will not get much done at all. These years under him have been very fruitless and have not made the country or the world a better place.
I fear a future when people will not be chosen because of what they know and can achieve but because of their looks and sexual preferences or indeed race. This really comes from the gossip magazine generation who thinks it is all just a game.

where the president is never a reptilian, female or gay

That is a silly notion that you just pick and choose people with a certain background to become president just cause some people want that. Politics are about more important things and what we can learn from the years with Obama is that a marionette president will not get much done at all. These years under him have been very fruitless and have not made the country or the world a better place.
I fear a future when people will not be chosen because of what they know and can achieve but because of their looks and sexual preferences or indeed race. This really comes from the gossip magazine generation who thinks it is all just a game.

I think people may be reading too much into the "America Is Not The World" reference directly, without the relevant correlating context of an important man (Touring) who was marginalized (generous word) because of his minority status. That is not to infer that any gay man could have saved us from the Nazis. Just as every black, female or gay president will not make a great difference. Symbolically, in relation to societal evolution it will, but not directly, in each respective case. Surely you could already infer that distinction for yourself.

For a good (film) satircal example of life when all is based on the future you fear - see Idiocracy.

or more importantly where the president is never an atheist. or at least has to pretend he believes in stone-age supernatural stories to be elected even to american congress. i find this a bit more scary. as of 21013 there was only 1 openly atheist member of the american congress. which isn't representative of the american population. so only religious people or people who are lying that they do believe can be elected in america?

i remember hearing this morrissey song and thinking i think it's actually more important to have a president who didn't believe in the division of religion, or talk to magical beings in the sky. i don't think a female, gay or black religious president makes much difference. as obama has largely shown.

where the president is never a reptilian, female or gay

I dunno. Diana from 'V' (the original 80's clag, not the more modern clag) was a force to be reckoned with and she was a bisexual rat eating lizard with big hips. She had a similar outlook on the world's water that the USA has on oil, so she could make a perfect president. She wouldn't bite off more than she could chew.

in a representative government elected officials should represent there voting block. in a land where large portions of the population are not straight white males they do seem to make up most of histories politicians elected or appointed. if were going to say that being president is about more than demographics doesnt that seem to infer that there were no qualified gay or black women equally as qualified to run the executive branch. there must have been but since only white straight men are historically elected doesnt that seem to say that demographics are important to presidential politics. not just to "minority" voters but it seems to really matter to white straight men as they vote for those people pretty consistently.

I personally don't consider Obama to be black. Certainly not in terms of a shared socio-cultural experience. He is the son of a white mother and grew up in middle class Hawaii. He spent the majority of his formative years with his mothers white friends and grandfather, Stanley Dunham. Hardly the background of most African Americans who continue to suffer under the yoke of casual racism and discrimination. Sure, the liberals want Obama to be black, but that is just wishful thinking. America still has not voted in a black president.

I personally don't consider Obama to be black. Certainly not in terms of a shared socio-cultural experience. He is the son of a white mother and grew up in middle class Hawaii. He spent the majority of his formative years with his mothers white friends and grandfather, Stanley Dunham. Hardly the background of most African Americans who continue to suffer under the yoke of casual racism and discrimination. Sure, the liberals want Obama to be black, but that is just wishful thinking. America still has not voted in a black president.

You're confusing race and class.

Nelson Mandela also didn't have the background of most African-Americans. Does that mean he was a white president too?

Me too. I've seen him play Sherlock Holmes, Julian Assange, a slaver owner, and a kissing cousin, but now that he quotes "America is Not the World" by Morrissey, I think much higher of him. Now I know he's not a flag waver (those types don't get the song.) But remember, Morrissey recently said the president has too much power. I know he's supposed to be checked and balanced by the legislature and judiciary, but he does have those war powers. If we have to have a president of the federal government, then how about one who is single and has no offspring? Shouldn't husbands and fathers (as well as wives and mothers) pay more attention to their families than playing politics?

I love him. He is a great actor, and quite articulate as a pundit. I like him even more thanks to the Moz reference.

I looked at the comments and found something strikingly similar to responses viewed on ms-solo in regards to Morrissey's statements, when someone declares "Shut up and sing!" ;P

Queenofquitealot
Benny, shut up and act. Not everyone has a liberal world view. This does not make them evil. Not all right wing Christian Americans are homophobes -- and here's a news flash there are a lot of us in the good ol' USA. Gosh, I like you a lot less now. You seem to be an anti-Christian bigot. It's so sad, but you'll probably win an Oscar because the Hollywood left love your anti-Christian hate.

In reference to Touring, in my industry and education background (Computer Information Technology), Touring has not been forgotten, and in fact, is revered. Ironically, this is in the same community that is comprised of predominantly right-wing gay-haters. I guess some people's loyalties are based on mathematics and science first, and their religion second. I'm guessing the author of the aforementioned comment is neither a scientist or a humasexual.

definitely black but thats part of the story of obama and america. anyone whos even of mixed race isnt considered white or mixed but black and is treated as such. wealth has nothing to do with it, theyre still treated as black. wealthy black men and women are still treated as suspicious and stopped in stores way way more than white folk. also the president can have whatever war powers, im not even gonna take the time to explain that, but he still has to do it with a budget dictated by both houses of congress. just sayin

or more importantly where the president is never an atheist. or at least has to pretend he believes in stone-age supernatural stories to be elected even to american congress. i find this a bit more scary. as of 21013 there was only 1 openly atheist member of the american congress. which isn't representative of the american population. so only religious people or people who are lying that they do believe can be elected in america?

i remember hearing this morrissey song and thinking i think it's actually more important to have a president who didn't believe in the division of religion, or talk to magical beings in the sky. i don't think a female, gay or black religious president makes much difference. as obama has largely shown.

^this.

Only a half black half white person could be president of the USA. People like Jesse Jackson never could because they were too black. Obama was voted in as president because he was raised by his white mother and white people and his black dad from Africa (not American Black) was a deadbeat dad who he never saw.

Now Morrissey is talking shit about Obama. America is the world to Morrissey. He just wrote that song so all the Brits and Euros would still go to his concerts when he has been cancelling and shitting on England and Europe for years.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom