Belle and Sebastian

Girl-Afraid

Least Likely To
Love them. Tigermilk is my favorite album. They played last summer at the Santa Barbara Bowl, Best Coast opened. It was a fantastic show. Stuart walked through the crowd singing, it was a lot of fun. I wish Morrissey could have the freedom to do stuff like that.

I've only heard three or four of their songs. I really like this one. The lyrics are fantastic & the music is good too.

"Dear Catastrophe Waitress" by Belle & Sebastian

-To me, 70 or 80 percent of this song sounds like it comes out of the '60's.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of my favorites.

My wife and I used to listen to Arab strap late into the night, with the lights low (before kids). Always ahead a soft spot for them.

Liked gentle waves, not so much into looper.

We lay on the bed there
Kissing just for practice
Could we please be objective?
'Cause the other boys are queuing up behind us
A hand over my mouth
A hand over the window
Well, if I remain passive and you just want to cuddle
Then we should be ok, and we won't get in a muddle
Because we're seeing other people
At least that's what we say we are doing

I really liked their early albums, but the later ones not so much. "Write About Love" is a fantastic song though. I wonder if Carey Mulligan has ever performed it live with them?

I really liked their early albums, but the later ones not so much. "Write About Love" is a fantastic song though. I wonder if Carey Mulligan has ever performed it live with them?

It would be amazing if she has...yes it is a fantastic song, that and "Seeing Other People" are my two favourites.

It would be amazing if she has...yes it is a fantastic song, that and "Seeing Other People" are my two favourites.

She certainly has great pipes. :) But minutes of exhaustive Googling seems to suggest they've never actually performed it live together though. Which is a bit of a shame.

"Stay Loose" is another good one, I think. From Dear Catastrophe Waitress.

She certainly has great pipes. :) But minutes of exhaustive Googling seems to suggest they've never actually performed it live together though. Which is a bit of a shame.

"Stay Loose" is another good one, I think. From Dear Catastrophe Waitress.

They are like gene. Good songs but no majic

I love B & S. They are one of 4 artists that I buy everything they put out.

They are great. Their true classic is "If you're feeling sinister", which I would consider one of my maybe ten favorite albums of all time. Also, a lot of their best stuff went only on singles and EPs, which have been collected under the title "Push Barman to open old Wounds".

- - - Updated - - -

They are like gene. Good songs but no majic

They are MUCH better than Gene. And I say that as someone who loves Gene. At their best, they did acoustic pop better than Simon and Garfunkel.

Some of the best lyrics, ever.
Loved "Dear Catastrophe Waitress"
Saw them live in October 2010 at Hollywood Palladium.
Fantastic show.

I bet you a dollar Morrissey calls them Bellend Sebastian.

OK, a my top 10 songs of theirs, off the top of my head:

My Wandering Days Are Over
I Didn't See It Coming
The State I Am In
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
She's Losing It
The Boy With The Arab Strap
Expectations
We Rule The School
Dear Catastrophe Waitress
If You're Feeling Sinister

:guitar:

love them. tiger milk is there best album but arab strap is a close contender and yeah those lyrics are for sure up there with moz. for sure. he spent many a year bedridden and i think that prompted him to really develop his writing. the records got worse the more the more stuart let the others contribute but he got back into it for the life pursuit which is also fantastic with more than one shade of bowie appearing. stuarts an interesting guy as well. he showed up at the guy from felts front door and was taken in and given furniture to help him get started. lived in a church rectory for a long long time which i also thought was pretty cool. he seems to genuinly care about himself and what hes doing. not a careless person at all. except with women maybe, eep. i really like how almost all of the records start with stuart kinda whispering and the instrumentation coming in slowly.

Back
Top Bottom