Beethoven Was Deaf vs. Live At Earl's Court

Beethoven is definitely better in general, and as some say, funnier. ; ) But I do love his "I know it's not mutual but..." before going into I Have Forgiven Jesus. : )

So we know that Beethoven was taken from two shows and we know which songs are from London and Paris. Has anyone ever figured out which songs on the Earls CD are from what show? I’ve listened a bootleg of Earls and there are several parts where Moz is off mic. Did they just overdub the missing vocals on the Earls show with parts from other shows from that leg of the tour or are there actually entire songs from other shows?

Well, I really like the both of them and also the two of them..but, y' know..I was there at Earls Court and maybe I'm sentimental about it. :o

Gotta go with that.

Jesse et al murder those Smiths songs. Bar chords I ask you!

How can it not hurt your ears? How Soon Is Now? Johnny filled the hall with one guitar and a 3 second sample on a pedal, yet they had two guitars and a keyboard (Blah!) and it was rubbish. The bottom line is that Mozz had how many people on stage playing with him? and still turned in piss-poor versions of Smiths songs.

I'm praying for a smithsless setlist in Inverness and York

I was at the Paris show for "Beethoven was Deaf" so I guess I should tend to prefer this one but that isn't the case.

When the CD was released, I was disappointed to see that the set list was upside down and songs from another show included.

Then I noticed that the beautiful delay effect on Moz's voice during "Seasick" that I was so in awe of at the time had not been kept for the CD mix...

I have to say I've never been a fan of Gary Day & Spencer Cobrin as a rythm section and I truly think any Morrisey show should have some Smiths songs, so for all this reasons I like "Earl Court's" best. Even if "Beethoven" has songs that really stand out ("Jack the Ripper", "He knows I'd love to see him"), I think the other one is more balanced.

Is there a bootleg of this show then Sokyan?

"Earl's Court" is great but I listen to "Beethoven" a lot more. Prefer the raw sound and the band was definitely better back then. Seasick, Yet Still Docked on "Beethoven" is incredible.

They're both pretty disposable if you ask me. Out-of-tune/out-of-breath vocals - who needs that!
Beethoven at least captures an end-of-NFD noise jam, and Earl's Court at least has Redondo Beach. One highlight per LP - thank goodness for downloading!

I'll go Beethoven too. But someone mentioned earlier that the reason Earl's Court loses is because of Jesse. Totally disagree. Not the biggest fan of his song writing, but his live playing and adaptation of Smiths songs is fine. Decent player, just dull song writer. The bigger problem is Dean Butterworth. For the most part he could be replaced with a drum machine his drumming is that sterile and bland and completely void of character. I still love the Earl's Court album, but that to me is its biggest flaw.

I love how this is used as a criticism.

Well, it is. Let me add then like a poor drum machine. I mean the guy even looks awkward drumming, its like he refuses to move his arms above the elbows, always so stiff. Shoddy musicianship will always take away from the quality of a recording.

i cant really compare the two ,there both obviously great gigs but they are two different generations of morrissey, for beethoven was death youve got the more lively and more electric younger moz, then for live at earls court youve got the more calm and better voiced (in my opinion) moz.

But the two are both great gigs....

Hollywood.

Hollywood.

I really wish Hollywood was released properly as originally planned. It had my favorite set list of any of the gigs mentioned in this thread and the bootleg although poor quality makes it sound like it would have been a great show. :(

Opinions on Live at Earls Court and Beethoven is Deaf

Live at Earls Courts is in my opinion a wonderful album, an excellent companion piece to Beethoven is Deaf. Morrissey is excellent live and I believe there is no enough live work released. The poor quality youtube stuff makes this dearth harder to bear.

Re: Opinions on Live at Earls Court and Beethoven is Deaf

If only a Live DVD was released....very true live albums are just fab
Cheers Moz

I seem to remember this exact thread from not too long ago, but I'm not Kewpie so I won't bother trying to find it and link to it.

I find it hard to choose one over the other, I prefer the Earl's Court set list, but there is something just a bit off sounding about it. Like its too perfect or polished, the live "atmosphere" so to speak is a bit lost. I know the album boasts there were no touch ups done in the studio, but it sure sounds like it. I seem to remember some article around its release stating that its sound is because of the fact it was recorded in mono rather than stereo, or something like that.

A couple of posters refer to 'Introducing Morrissey'. I have never heard of this album. Is it on general release?

A couple of posters refer to 'Introducing Morrissey'. I have never heard of this album. Is it on general release?
Introducing Morrissey is a VHS live performance video, not dvd unfortunately. You can find the various Tracks posted on you tube.

Aside from a proper DVD/Blu-ray release the audio from Introducing Morrissey should be extracted and mastered as a live album release.

I guess it is two live dates stitched together into one performance (with, as I suspected and confirmed by Passions JLM, a couple instances audio used over video from the opposite night).
Was never sure why they did that. Just to choose the best rendition of each song I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom