Because of my poor educatio + Shame is the name

I do like having the songs but I want the physical records. If the US itunes deluxe has the b-sides I will not buy it. I will instead by the album and all formats of the single. It just makes a huge difference to own a record.

Agreed. I will never purchase a download - I think it's absolutely ridiculous to spend almost a dollar on a single song - in a digital format, with no packaging. It will be a very sick, sad world the day they stop producing albums in physical formats.

You're playing by the rules set forth by capitalism. I don't because I don't believe in capitalism. I think it's a crime. I will continue to download and look for ways around the system. $11.99 for a two song import CD? That's a "crime."

Sorry, NRITH... That came out pissy. Just in a bad mood today...

Again,

Sorry.

The two most common rationalizations for illegally downloading music seem to be:

1. I spend so much on the artist anyway/I already pre-ordered it/whatever, so I'm entitled to/don't feel guilty for downloading it.
  2. He's already a gazillionaire, and he's hardly going to miss the few cents in royalties he'd make if I bought it.

Both of these are ridiculous. If you download music that you didn't pay for, then you are stealing it. You aren't entitled to anything. You don't have to like the way things are, but that hardly matters. Just admit that you're doing something wrong, and stop trying to justify it.

I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou. I download bootlegs, I occasionally download in-print tracks that I bought on vinyl; hell, I even taped & distributed a Morrissey show. I freely admit that I'm stealing the music.

FWIW, I have not, and will not, download YoR. I'll wait for the CD to arrive in my mailbox. I don't know why it feels different, but it does.

Last edited:
Agreed. I will never purchase a download - I think it's absolutely ridiculous to spend almost a dollar on a single song - in a digital format, with no packaging. It will be a very sick, sad world the day they stop producing albums in physical formats.

Agreed. I know the day will probably come and that makes me sad. I have never purchased an mp3.

Even though I do not have a record player I still buy vinyl just to have them.

Re: hmmmm

If anyone's got DOADD I'd be grateful. Thank you.

The site has not lost any credibility. It has the exact same credibility it had the day the new forums opened. Your new found understanding of the rules has changed your opinion of the credibility of the site.

You have every right to complain.

As far as my respect for the artist in question and the money I have spent on his work and his concerts and his merchandise over the years and the money I continue to spend leaves me with no guilt that I'm trying to hear songs I've never heard that I cannot purchase at this time.

Just out of curiosity... have you downloaded the new album yet? I know most have, some haven't. Just curious as to which group you are part of.

For your information, I belong to the latter group. I was wondering when you would bring this point to the table.

The two most common rationalizations for illegally downloading music seem to be:

1. I spend so much on the artist anyway/I already pre-ordered it/whatever, so I'm entitled to/don't feel guilty for downloading it.
  2. He's already a gazillionaire, and he's hardly going to miss the few cents in royalties he'd make if I bought it.

Both of these are ridiculous. If you download music that you didn't pay for, then you are stealing it. You aren't entitled to anything. You don't have to like the way things are, but that hardly matters. Just admit that you're doing something wrong, and stop trying to justify it.

I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou. I download bootlegs, I occasionally download in-print tracks that I bought on vinyl; hell, I even taped & distributed a Morrissey show. I freely admit that I'm stealing the music.

FWIW, I have not, and will not, download YoR. I'll wait for the CD to arrive in my mailbox. I don't know why it feels different, but it does.

Exactly. I believed this site was for non-commercial items, of which I have contributed if you look in US post-show forums or here:
http://www.youtube.com/SDHigbie
These are different since I have and will always buy every commercially availabe item in an effort to complete my collection, like I assume most here would. My argument regarding commercial items is not unique, as observed here:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=94793
and here:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=94291
and here:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=94249
and here:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=89615
etc...

Obviously there are different sides to this site. Some will be respectful to the artist, some will actually get off their butts and do some research. and some will whine and be cheap.

For your information, I belong to the latter group. I was wondering when you would bring this point to the table.

Honestly, I figured you were but I didn't want to make any assumptions either way.

Tags
shame the bear is out of step
Back
Top Bottom