Beatles beat out Smiths as "best ever"

C

Cili Barnes

Hi-ho everybody. I can see that this board is exactly as bad as it was when I left it. God... "Chubby Chubsalot" now?

Anyhow, I thought some of you might be interested in this little bit of information. The NME has decided that the Beatles were the "best band ever," beating out the likes of Radiohead, Nirvana, the Stone Roses, and our beloved Smiths. I think it was perfectly sensible to honour the Beatles with that award, but I thought about it, and the Smiths really were--historically speaking--one of the greatest ever. Think about that. That's saying a lot! When you love the band as much as most of us do, it's easy to forget how relevant and significant the Smiths were in terms of musical history. It's been some years, but I still don't feel that we have enough hindsight on the band. As we move further and further away from 1987, I feel that, more and more, a greater appreciation of the Smiths will be had. I hope so anyhow.

I'd also like to add that, for me personally, everytime I think of the Smiths in this light, it reminds me of how legendary Morrissey is as an artist. I take it for granted far too often (as most of Britain does as well) because Morrissey is still up and around, but every once in a while I realize it and I am aghast at the power of this man's talent and importance. A la Proust, every once in a while I rediscover Morrissey, not because he changes, but because I see him with different eyes and I always feel astonished by what I see. What a talent!

ah_231.jpg

Welcome back

Dear Ms. Barnes,

I cannot say enough how much those pictures of Audrey Hepburn are quite a site for pained eyes. I did say a proper goodbye a few posts back so I hope you got to read it. Well, as you can see this is the new greasetea..full of milk and honey (no more bile and vinegar). Oh thank you thank you for the pictures again.

Greasetea

P.S. who is chubby chubsalot?

Hi Greasetea

> Dear Ms. Barnes,

Dearest Mr. T...

> I cannot say enough how much those pictures of Audrey Hepburn
> are quite a site for pained eyes. I did say a proper goodbye a
> few posts back so I hope you got to read it. Well, as you can
> see this is the new greasetea..full of milk and honey (no more
> bile and vinegar). Oh thank you thank you for the pictures
> again.

I just read it, and it was very sweet. *mwah* Milk and honey, yum. :) As long as I keep posting here, the Audrey pics will keep coming so don't you fret about it.

> P.S. who is chubby chubsalot?

When I was in here this morning, the message board was absolutely LITTERED with his/her posts. I guess David deleted them. Now here's a very tender portrait of Audrey for you Grease...

sean_01.jpg

The Smiths were better than the Beatles

I wasn't around in the sixties, so I dunno anything. But it's hard to love the Beatles. Sure their songs were great, but by now everybody's been beaten over the head a million times with every song and it's just boring. You can't have a personal connection with an omnipresent musical force like the Beatles. So many commercials and movies. So many imitators. How can you have an original point of view on a band that everybody likes? How can the Beatles be 'mine'? Mebbe if I was fifty it would make more sense.

The Smiths, on the other hand ... their material was as good or better than the Beatles' stuff. Songs like 'Hey Jude' and 'In my life' may be emotional, but they PALE in comparison to the tragic sounds of 'last night I dreamt', 'There is a light' and 'well I wonder'. The Smiths were humorous without being sarcastic, and sad without being self-indulgent. No other band has ever combined that emotional power with such excellent tunes. THE SMITHS WERE THE BEST BAND EVER.

Stone Roses? why are they in that list?

station.gif

The Smiths -- the Beatles -- the Stone Roses

> I wasn't around in the sixties, so I dunno anything. But it's
> hard to love the Beatles. Sure their songs were great, but by
> now everybody's been beaten over the head a million times with
> every song and it's just boring. You can't have a personal
> connection with an omnipresent musical force like the Beatles.
> So many commercials and movies. So many imitators. How can you
> have an original point of view on a band that everybody likes?
> How can the Beatles be 'mine'? Mebbe if I was fifty it would
> make more sense.

I don't think it necessarily takes an original point of view to be able to appreciate a band. Music appreciation should be a personal experience, not a social contest. I personally took a long time to come round to liking the Beatles. Now, there's at least one cd in every changer at all times. They're incredible. Listen to John Lennon sing, "nothing's gonna change my world, nothing's gonna change my world..." It's incredibly powerful, and it inspires me to hear him singing it because I know that he meant it. No matter how unbearable life becomes, nothing's gonna change my world... That's a beautiful sentiment. By the way, Fiona Apple covered that song ("Across the Universe") incredibly. It's almost better than the original in my opinion.

> Stone Roses? why are they in that list?

Because they were one of the most important bands of all musical history. Because Ian Brown was one of the most inspirational and beautiful frontmen of all time. Because John Squire wrote psychedelic, blues-based, guitar-pop music when no one else could do it as well. Because Reni single-handedly created a cultural fashion phenomenon. Because Mani made your heart palpitate with those beginning notes of "I Wanna Be Adored." Because they were four rough kids from the streets that wrote one of the greatest debut albums of all time. Because that album broke down just about every musical barrier that existed at the time. Because they influenced every genre from dance to rock to pop. Because they gave people something to believe in again...

ah_111.jpg

Re: The Smiths -- the Beatles -- the Stone Roses

> I don't think it necessarily takes an original point of view to
> be able to appreciate a band.

No, but I want to connect with the music I'm listening to. I can't get into music that's been all around me all the time like music at a shopping centre. It's just me.

Back
Top Bottom