Morrissey Central "BEAM OF LIGHT." (May 19, 2023)

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
its a bit shit when you combine andys death post and Ms response come to 382 replies when in the past all it takes is M to say something negative and it gets over 500 replies.
Maybe it's better that some people didn't say anything or said very little. I did see a fight break out in another thread over this and I am glad it did not spill into here.

Maybe it's better that some people didn't say anything or said very little. I did see a fight break out in another thread over this and I am glad it did not spill into here.
i was the one who said sometimes its better to say nothing than have some celebrity who met andy for five minutes years ago posting nonsense,and people moaned at me demanding M puts out a statement asap.

i was the one who said sometimes its better to say nothing than have some celebrity who met andy for five minutes years ago posting nonsense,and people moaned at me demanding M puts out a statement asap.
Well, you should just ignore people looking for problems, M put up a statement but I think it would have been ok if he didn't, this is kind of complicated. I was not referring to you or anything you said in my previous post.

Intellectual dishonesty is ugly Amy and you're guilty as usual. Johnny had many bassists work with him in his projects over the years starting with the Healers in 2002 and you know it. He chose not to utilize Andy out of ego so as not to draw Smiths comparisons. Pathetic. And it is well known that Marr along with Matt Johnson chose James Eller to play in his iteration of The The. Could have easily been Andy. The FACT remains Johnny NEVER deigned to allow Andy near ANY of his solo studio work and would only let him guest on a live song once a tour. Like Andy was some sort of artifact that Marr could trot out to prove he hadn't totally forgotten about him. Andy was his friend since age 11 and helped him learn guitar for God's sake. Morrissey treated him better than Marr by recording 3 of Andy's songs and playing live with him after the split. You are clearly not an artist because you know nothing of how important a muse is and to berate Andy for not just finding another one is low and uninformed. Johnny left his old friend swinging in the wind with empty promises of a tomorrow that never came. That's shameful. No matter how you defend it. I met Andy twice and spoke with him about Johnny at length and his disappointment was palpable and sad but he was loyal to the end because he was a stand up guy. Andy deserved better. Whether you like it or not.
I have no idea why you portray Andy as some sad charity case who just sat on his hands after 1987 and waited endlessly for Johnny or Morrissey to give him opportunities. It's ridiculous. Nobody owed Andy a living - he was a grown adult, he went out and did his own thing, he tried to get various musical projects off the ground. The idea that Johnny was obligated to carry Andy forever because they were friends as children is just absurd - particularly, as I said, when lots of Johnny's own projects weren't hugely successful either. That first Healers album bombed, so who was really "swinging in the wind"?

If you want to work, you look for it and try to make things happen and that's what Andy did. You don't sit at home blaming the 'lack of a muse' and waiting for crumbs from someone else's table to fall in your lap.

Last edited:
Well, you should just ignore people looking for problems, M put up a statement but I think it would have been ok if he didn't, this is kind of complicated. I was not referring to you or anything you said in my previous post.
if he didnt put out a statement the haters on here would have self combusted,three posts in a row told us that.

of course red,no offence was taken on my part,you were just making a point.

I have no idea why you portray Andy as some sad charity case who just sat on his hands after 1987 and waited endlessly for Johnny or Morrissey to give him opportunities. It's ridiculous. Nobody owed Andy a living - he was a grown adult, he went out and did his own thing, he tried to get various musical projects off the ground. The idea that Johnny was obligated to carry Andy forever because they were friends as children is just absurd - particularly, as I said, when lots of Johnny's own projects weren't hugely successful either. That first Healers album bombed, so who was really "swinging in the wind"?

If you want to work, you look for it and try to make things happen and that's what Andy did. You don't sit at home blaming the 'lack of a muse' and waiting for crumbs from someone else's table to fall in your lap.
Johnny literally told Andy on several occasions that he would work with him again "someday" when the time was right. Andy said so and you can hear Marr say it in an interview Andy did with him. Over 30 years past and nothing. NOTHING. I hope it haunts Johnny to his grave. You're just a Marr apologist as you've always been. We're done here. RIP Andy. You deserved better.

Johnny literally told Andy on several occasions that he would work with him again "someday" when the time was right. Andy said so and you can hear Marr say it in an interview Andy did with him. Over 30 years past and nothing. NOTHING. I hope it haunts Johnny to his grave. You're just a Marr apologist as you've always been. We're done here. RIP Andy. You deserved better.
I sense Johnny's largesse towards Andy in the past 12 months may have been an inward acknowledgement that perhaps he'd left some things too late.

I sense Johnny's largesse towards Andy in the past 12 months may have been an inward acknowledgement that perhaps he'd left some things too late.
He knows...he knows...or I think he does...and shame is the name.

And you are an arrogant, histrionic fool who thinks he knows more about Johnny and Andy's friendship after two meetings than they knew about each other after 40 odd years. Maybe the time never was right, maybe he does regret it - people make mistakes but it doesn't make Johnny evil. And none of it matters now. To dredge this up in a condolence thread and say that he should be haunted... you've missed the point by a mile, your bitterness towards a grieving man is disgusting, and you don't speak for Andy or anybody else. Put a sock in it.

Last edited:
I think I'd rather have Andy and Marr as friends than band mates, they did that and it got messy.

People accuse Johnny of milking the Smiths and not moving on so I get why he would be wary of a permanent set up.

And you are an arrogant, histrionic fool who thinks he knows more about Johnny and Andy's friendship after two meetings than they knew about each other after 40 odd years. Maybe the time never was right, maybe he does regret it - people make mistakes but it doesn't make Johnny evil. And none of it matters now. To dredge this up in a condolence thread and say that he should be haunted... you've missed the point by a mile, your bitterness towards a grieving man is disgusting, and you don't speak for Andy or anybody else. Put a sock in it.
Classic projection Amy. I speak for me and I speak for Andy. History always matters. Just not to those with an aim to ignore it like yourself. And you have yet to assert any condolences in this "condolences thread" lol. Only rebuttals as you speak for Johnny. Telling.

Classic projection Amy. I speak for me and I speak for Andy. History always matters. Just not to those with an aim to ignore it like yourself. And you have yet to assert any condolences in this "condolences thread" lol. Only rebuttals as you speak for Johnny. Telling.
Who gives you the authority to speak for Andy?

Explain how and by what means you 'speak for Andy'

I would like to think that any half-decent human, regardless of whether they like JM or not, could resist the temptation to smear a bereaved person's face in his 'mistakes' before his friend is even laid to rest. And anyone who has lost friends or family before their time knows that guilt is part of the grieving process - wishing you'd picked up the phone more often or argued less or just had a bit more time to tell them how you really felt. It's unavoidable, it happens to everybody. Getting some weird satisfaction out of that and actively wanting Johnny to feel like shit... you're sick. Warped.

I would like to think that any half-decent human, regardless of whether they like JM or not, could resist the temptation to smear a bereaved person's face in his 'mistakes' before his friend is even laid to rest. And anyone who has lost friends or family before their time knows that guilt is part of the grieving process - wishing you'd picked up the phone more often or argued less or just had a bit more time to tell them how you really felt. It's unavoidable, it happens to everybody. Getting some weird satisfaction out of that and actively wanting Johnny to feel like shit... you're sick. Warped.
It was not a 'mistake'. (Of course you would characterize it that way.) It was clearly calculated. Johnny is calculating. That's how he rolls. Everyone knows that. Andy's death was not a surprise to anyone involved so stop with your ludicrous pearl clutching Amy. You see people who hold people accountable for their actions as bad. THAT'S warped. Good thing your opinion is as valuable as your slights. Worth zilch.

It was not a 'mistake'. (Of course you would characterize it that way.) It was clearly calculated. Johnny is calculating. That's how he rolls. Everyone knows that. Andy's death was not a surprise to anyone involved so stop with your ludicrous pearl clutching Amy. You see people who hold people accountable for their actions as bad. THAT'S warped. Good thing your opinion is as valuable as your slights. Worth zilch.
You are a gutless, callous, deluded nobody pretending to speak on behalf of a dead man. f*** off and go away.

Not seen this before, but another sobering reminder that age is catching up with the band (and all of us)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom