Morrissey Central "BEAM OF LIGHT." (May 19, 2023)

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Which bands were these? For 25 years after the Smiths, Johnny was a session guitarist. He was working with established bands, he didn't have any set-up where he would have been able to choose the musicians or easily slide a bassist in. And when he did go solo in 2013 and finally put together a band, he was trying to do what Morrissey had done - prove there was life after the Smiths. You can't really do that by taking the same people along.
The Healers? But yes, agree, to bring Andy along would have seemed to much like relying on The Smiths' past, although Morrissey did the same thing in 1988/1989.

Death has a way of rearranging priorities, so let's not drag up court cases and grievances from last century here. I too was afraid that Morrissey would be petty enough to ignore this or -- even worse -- say something sarcastic, so I'm very glad he found it in him to say something from a place of kindness.

Last edited:
Not a disss on Johnny, but I did wonder why Andy was not in his solo band, I think fans would have enjoyed that

Andy lived in the US, Johnny was based in Manchester. They played together whenever Johnny was in NY.

Not a disss on Johnny, but I did wonder why Andy was not in his solo band, I think fans would have enjoyed that
I can't remember where I heard it, possibly it was when Andy interviewed Johnny on radio, but I seem to recall Johnny played him early demos of what became 'The Messenger ' with a view to getting him involved on bass, but it didn't work out due to Andy living in the US at the time. I guess Andy didn't want to uproot, quit his day job and commit to getting back on the tour wagon, though he frequently guested when Johnny was in town, so clearly there was no bad blood.

Let's see your proof. Moz never denied saying it and fought tooth and nail to not pay them a cent. It's easy to act nice now. Costs him nothing and gains the respect of fools
In lieu of the actual transcript from the trial, there are several retellings. Here’s one from The Guardian:
“Rourke settled out of court, but Joyce continued and in 1996 his case was heard. Joyce’s barrister argued that Marr and Morrissey treated the drummer and bassist as “mere session musicians, as readily replaceable as the parts in a lawnmower”.

And here’s a quote from Far Out:
”During the duration of The Smiths, Marr and Morrissey each took a hefty 40% of the performance and recording royalties, leaving Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce with only 10% each. Following the split, this led the duo’s barrister to famously quip that they were treated as session musicians and were as “readily replaceable as the parts in a lawnmower.”

The quip has since the trial been attributed to Moz and if you tell a lie for long enough, it becomes truth.

In lieu of the actual transcript from the trial, there are several retellings. Here’s one from The Guardian:
“Rourke settled out of court, but Joyce continued and in 1996 his case was heard. Joyce’s barrister argued that Marr and Morrissey treated the drummer and bassist as “mere session musicians, as readily replaceable as the parts in a lawnmower”.

And here’s a quote from Far Out:
”During the duration of The Smiths, Marr and Morrissey each took a hefty 40% of the performance and recording royalties, leaving Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce with only 10% each. Following the split, this led the duo’s barrister to famously quip that they were treated as session musicians and were as “readily replaceable as the parts in a lawnmower.”

The quip has since the trial been attributed to Moz and if you tell a lie for long enough, it becomes truth.
From Autobiog:

"... when Nigel Davis [QC for Joyce] suggested that I had considered Rourke and Joyce to be as replaceable as parts of a lawnmower (a quote which the national press then gleefully attribute to me)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how folks here always critical of Morrissey on the Smiths frankly awful deal, Morrissey and Marr did that. 40% each!!!! Leaving 10%each for the other 2. A shameful deal that Marr always escapes criticism for (except by the judge). But as said not the day for such. RIP Andy all that needs said.
Marrs recent lengthy announcement and over explaining points to a fear of being criticised.

From Autobiog:

"... when Nigel Davis [QC for Joyce] suggested that I had considered Rourke and Joyce to be as replaceable as parts of a lawnmower (a quote which the national press then gleefully attribute to me)."
Excellent!

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:
Could have paid him properly then Steven

I don’t understand these fears that Morrissey would come out with something sarcastic.
Has Moz ever said anything sarcastic when someone has passed? I doubt he ever has, much less about someone he was ever close to, such as in this case!

full

MORRISSEY.

Related item:
Old Lazy Lyrics writes a lazy eulogy.

Several vipers crawled to the surface to attract attention and bite Morrissey on the occasion of Andy's death. Pathetic is an understatement :sick:

Which bands were these? For 25 years after the Smiths, Johnny was a session guitarist. He was working with established bands, he didn't have any set-up where he would have been able to choose the musicians or easily slide a bassist in. And when he did go solo in 2013 and finally put together a band, he was trying to do what Morrissey had done - prove there was life after the Smiths. You can't really do that by taking the same people along.

As for the comment about Johnny being Andy's muse - it's sweet but it doesn't make sense. If you're a working musician and you want to earn money, you have to fend for yourself, make opportunities for yourself, take what comes along without too many conditions and that's what Johnny did. Do you think he would have joined two-bit nobodies like the Cribs if there had been a wealth of other options at the time? He was not compelled to carry Andy all through his life, there were times when JM was barely breaking even from his projects.
Why waste your time?

As for the comment about Johnny being Andy's muse - it's sweet but it doesn't make sense. If you're a working musician and you want to earn money, you have to fend for yourself, make opportunities for yourself, take what comes along without too many conditions and that's what Johnny did. Do you think he would have joined two-bit nobodies like the Cribs if there had been a wealth of other options at the time? He was not compelled to carry Andy all through his life, there were times when JM was barely breaking even from his projects.

Intellectual dishonesty is ugly Amy and you're guilty as usual. Johnny had many bassists work with him in his projects over the years starting with the Healers in 2002 and you know it. He chose not to utilize Andy out of ego so as not to draw Smiths comparisons. Pathetic. And it is well known that Marr along with Matt Johnson chose James Eller to play in his iteration of The The. Could have easily been Andy. The FACT remains Johnny NEVER deigned to allow Andy near ANY of his solo studio work and would only let him guest on a live song once a tour. Like Andy was some sort of artifact that Marr could trot out to prove he hadn't totally forgotten about him. Andy was his friend since age 11 and helped him learn guitar for God's sake. Morrissey treated him better than Marr by recording 3 of Andy's songs and playing live with him after the split. You are clearly not an artist because you know nothing of how important a muse is and to berate Andy for not just finding another one is low and uninformed. Johnny left his old friend swinging in the wind with empty promises of a tomorrow that never came. That's shameful. No matter how you defend it. I met Andy twice and spoke with him about Johnny at length and his disappointment was palpable and sad but he was loyal to the end because he was a stand up guy. Andy deserved better. Whether you like it or not.

Intellectual dishonesty is ugly Amy and you're guilty as usual. Johnny had many bassists work with him in his projects over the years starting with the Healers in 2002 and you know it. He chose not to utilize Andy out of ego so as not to draw Smiths comparisons. Pathetic. And it is well known that Marr along with Matt Johnson chose James Eller to play in his iteration of The The. Could have easily been Andy. The FACT remains Johnny NEVER deigned to allow Andy near ANY of his solo studio work and would only let him guest on a live song once a tour. Like Andy was some sort of artifact that Marr could trot out to prove he hadn't totally forgotten about him. Andy was his friend since age 11 and helped him learn guitar for God's sake. Morrissey treated him better than Marr by recording 3 of Andy's songs and playing live with him after the split. You are clearly not an artist because you know nothing of how important a muse is and to berate Andy for not just finding another one is low and uninformed. Johnny left his old friend swinging in the wind with empty promises of a tomorrow that never came. That's shameful. No matter how you defend it. I met Andy twice and spoke with him about Johnny at length and his disappointment was palpable and sad but he was loyal to the end because he was a stand up guy. Andy deserved better. Whether you like it or not.

its a bit shit when you combine andys death post and Ms response come to 382 replies when in the past all it takes is M to say something negative and it gets over 500 replies.

its a bit shit when you combine andys death post and Ms response come to 382 replies when in the past all it takes is M to say something negative and it gets over 500 replies.
Because this place is filled with the most negative, miserable, angry people I've ever come across in an online space. I note that many of the usual suspects haven't commented on here, likely (imo) because this isn't a time/place for their petty squabbles that they can get a kick out of (although some are trying, sadly). Saying "Andy was a great guy with an amazing legacy, may he rest in peace" is beyond some of them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom