Morrissey Central "BEAM OF LIGHT." (May 19, 2023)

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
As a statement, that cut through to the heart of the matter. I read this very differently to anything else I’ve ever read by Morrissey - well said!!

40 years on Andy had become my favorite musician of the Smiths . Having heard their songs so often I often found myself focusing on just the basslines and how unique and and how well they played along Marrs arrangements . Meat on the bone .
RIP Andy…

Thanks to Andy for his music in The Smiths. Moz sent a good message. They weren't friends, but they shared things for several years. Moz must have good memories. Very young for. Die!!!!!:(

I don’t know what to think, really. I’m just in shock. I always thought Morrissey liked Andy, so I’m not surprised by these beautiful words from him. I’m so sorry for this loss because, no matter the reason or how long it had been since he last saw Andy, that connection will never break because they went through something so special. The beginning of everything. Andy was kind to Morrissey and I think they respected one another. This is just such awful news.

This is vaguely bringing to mind an anecdote in Morrissey's autobiography, about Andy coming round to his house one day after The Smiths split, to offer condolences on a recent bereavement, I think, and it being much appreciated. I may be mis-remembering this, does it sound familiar to anyone?

Lovely words from Moz and very honest. He didn't have the lifelong friendship that Johnny had with Andy so trying to do a similar message and put personal stories in there wouldn't have been right - this was perfect. Pure respect, simplicity and truth.

Morrissey seems to think about death much more than most people do and when you start losing your peers and people you grew up with, it hits home even more. I think everyone who was part of the Smiths world will be shaken by this, it is truly shocking. I haven't been able to think about anything else all day and I'm nobody. Johnny as well, he has lost his best friend since childhood, it's just so sad.

Didn't have such nice sentiments while he was alive did you? Especially when fighting to screw him out of his Smths profits.

Beautiful words by Morrissey to describe Andy. Like others have already said they all went through so much together. What The Smiths had together was a very rare and wonderful thing. Andy was an incredible musician and I will hear it forever in the music. Rest in piece Andy.❤️❤️❤️❤️

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom