Morrissey Central "BEAM OF LIGHT." (May 19, 2023)

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said.

I wonder if, deep down, he now regrets not doing at least one reunion show?

Bravo Morrissey. I'm so glad this is your statement. R.I.P. Andy, a legend always and forever.

Well said.

I wonder if, deep down, he now regrets not doing at least one reunion show?
Wolverhampton 1988.

Marr was invited but declined, hence why it was billed as Morrissey and not The Smiths.

I remember there was a rumour that Morrissey would join Marr and Rourke at the Manchester Versus Cancer gig in 2006 but I don’t think that was ever on the cards.

Interesting to note that out of all the blandishments that I have read, although I don’t doubt that many are very sincere, it was Morrissey of all people who nailed the essence of Andy in a few words:

‘He didn’t ever know his own power.’

This feels so true to me, Andy Rourke might be the finest bassist to come out of the ‘80’s and I’m not sure he truely realised it.

Very lovely tribute SPM.

"When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy."

Very honest.

I’m so glad Moz put out some words about Andy. And what beautiful words they are.
Agreed, people were obviously going to be looking to see what / if Morrissey said anything after everything that’s passed between the band members, I’m just really glad that Morrissey has ignored all the noise and just given his full respects to Andy Rourke and how they had combined to make The Smiths the greatest band in the world.

I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

But not valued enough to pay him his due without rancour or spite.

Words cost nothing, however eloquent.

Interesting to note that out of all the blandishments that I have read, although I don’t doubt that many are very sincere, it was Morrissey of all people who nailed the essence of Andy in a few words:

‘He didn’t ever know his own power.’

This feels so true to me, Andy Rourke might be the finest bassist to come out of the ‘80’s and I’m not sure he truely realised it.

Very lovely tribute SPM.
It wasn’t so much a rumour, as wishful thinking that gained a bit of online momentum for a couple of days.

I knew that Morrissey would put out a sincere tribute. For all of his disputes over the court case etc., he’s stuck by his former band mates when it comes to professional praise. Even in Autobiography, prior to his obsessive recount of the court case and his less than polite words, when describing the band in the early days his words are full of praise and admiration of their skills.

Still processing such sad news but like any untimely passing, I am filled with gratitude (even more than usual) for the power of music and am comforted by all the kind words shared by those who knew Mr. Rourke personally and professionally. Rest in peace, Sir Andy, and thanks for bringing that bassline to us, which will never be forgotten. Love and condolences to Andy's family, all of the Smiths, and the dedicated listeners and followers. While another light is dimmed, the heart fills with gratitude and love for those we can no longer see.

I'd hoped for (but didn't expect) a comment from Morrissey on Andy's passing.
Beautifully put and that's put a tear in the eye of even the most jaded of us out here.

Andy's nature seemed sweet and inoffensive. He was an admired musician. His passing will touch generations. This statement is welcome and warm. 🙏💗

Bearing in mind they haven’t been “mates” in 30+ years, I think this is as good a statement as Morrissey could have put out.
Respectful, measured and complimentary.

Very nice message from Morrissey. It's not everyday that he talks that way about someone, especially someone who once sued him.Well done, Mozz.

It may sound stupid but reading it has made me feel better after learning about Andy's passing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom