Morrissey Central "BEAM OF LIGHT." (May 19, 2023)

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m so glad Moz put out some words about Andy. And what beautiful words they are.

Perhaps the best words Mozza’s put out in a long time. Andy was a good ‘un. I’m stunned at his passing. My own father died just before Xmas. He was getting on some (89), but I when got the call, it was still a shock to my family. Rest well, Andy. I still haven’t mastered the baseline to ‘This Charming Man’ even now. ✨❤️😢

Last edited:
Andy Rourke was crucial to the smiths sound. There are many basslines that I listen to on repeat just to admire the choices he made and how they enhanced what was already inherently beautiful. The Smiths were completely uncompromised musically and succeeded on their own terms. The musical chemistry was as perfect as every great group beloved by so many.

Considering they haven't had much to do with each other for a very long time that is a pretty heartfelt tribute and you can feel some emotion in the words.

Utter class and an abundance of empathy and compassion from Morrissey. Like I said in the other thread, that’s how you write a eulogy.

Considering they haven't had much to do with each other for a very long time that is a pretty heartfelt tribute and you can feel some emotion in the words.
In my opinion this shows Moz loves Andy.

I think Moz will feel great love for his time in the Smiths too. Even if he doesn't show it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom