Morrissey Central "BEAM OF LIGHT." (May 19, 2023)

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lest we not forget Moz said Andy and Mike were as easily replaced as lawnmower parts.

Marr denied Andy a place in any of his bands and refused to work with him as a songwriter. Stringing Andy along with promises of someday. Too late now Johnny. Not that you ever meant it.
Not to mention Marr has never loudly proclaimed that Andy wrote all of the Smiths basslines when this is constantly brought into question by clueless pseudo fans the internet world over. He mentioned it on Reddit once during a AMA.

Andy made it known in interviews recently that Johnny was his muse and that he needed him to make music.

The sadness that existed in Andy over this was palpable if you ever spent any time with him as I did. He was the true victim of the Smiths split and Moz & Marr's arrogance.

Andy was the soul of the band.

I love you Rourkie.

Lest we not forget Moz said Andy and Mike were as easily replaced as lawnmower parts.

Marr denied Andy a place in any of his bands and refused to work with him as a songwriter. Stringing Andy along with promises of someday. Too late now Johnny. Not that you ever meant it.
That was during the trial phase and I assume Morrissey's stance has softened a lot over time. He was very complimentary as to Andy's abilities and contributions to The Smiths in Autobiography.

As to your second point, yes I'm very very confused about this. I assume that Andy was the best bass player Johnny ever played with and being best friends from school days I could never figure out why he wouldn't give Andy a place in his various bands. To me it would've made perfect sense both professionally and personally.

Obviously Johnny is free to do what he wants, and I'm sure he has his reasons but for the life of me I couldn't fathom why he wouldn't do it.

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:
If anyone knows the Smiths you would know that Morrissey was absolutely horrible to Andy. He struggled a lot/ drug addiction and Morrissey said f*** All. "You're No Longer a Smith" written on a postcard, slapped on Andys car window shield. don't gulp up MOZ and his bs. #andyrourke

And the moderators will most likely not allow any response that dare upset the fans. But you must accept both the greatness of Morrissey and the Nasty. That's what make Morrissey Morrissey.

Andy's death actually made ABC World News Tonight with David Muir in the U.S.

I was watching and was shocked to learn of his passing and equally surprised that it was reported on prime time news. That is a big deal. I never figured anyone other than Morrissey would make the news and maybe not even him. I suspect the host David Muir is a Smiths fan. Having watched him for 20 years on TV you pick up on things.

It's available on abc.com but is paywalled for 1 week from today then it is free.

RIP Andy

Not to mention Marr has never loudly proclaimed that Andy wrote all of the Smiths basslines when this is constantly brought into question by clueless pseudo fans the internet world over. He mentioned it on Reddit once during a AMA.

Andy made it known in interviews recently that Johnny was his muse and that he needed him to make music.

The sadness that existed in Andy over this was palpable if you ever spent any time with him as I did. He was the true victim of the Smiths split and Moz & Marr's arrogance.

Andy was the soul of the band.

I love you Rourkie.
No he f***ing didn’t say that. Joyce’s lawyer insinuated that that’s what Moz and Marr considered Rourke and Joyce to be. Get your facts straight.

No he f***ing didn’t say that. Joyce’s lawyer insinuated that that’s what Moz and Marr considered Rourke and Joyce to be. Get your facts straight.
That's what I recall but I don't remember where I read it. Some interview or maybe Autobiography?

He was let back in, you know? Obviously, even Morrissey knew that The Smiths wouldn't be the same band without Andy. It was more of a message to Andy than anything. Lifelong addictions have their peaks and valleys, but Andy cared enough about the band to straighten-up as much as needed to perform well - once he was let back in, until the band's end.

Also, keep in mind that The Smiths were at the peak of their success when the postcard to Andy happened. They were making more money, and it's easy to spend your money on drugs when you're a young pro musician with no other responsibilities. Regarding the postcard, it was necessary at the time to open Andy's eyes, and it worked. Lots of drugs, no sleep, strange diets - can lead a very talented musician to the point where their playing becomes suspect --- I don't know if you've ever noticed...but nobody performs badly (or average) in The Smiths. Morrissey was protecting the band, sure - but, he was also smart enough to know that losing Andy would've crippled The Smiths.

I have always loved that Andy was let back into the group. That's the most important part of the story.
Plus Andy was the last of The Smiths to continue working with Morrissey on his solo career for Ouija Board and November so that's got to count for something. Yes I Am Blind is one of my top five Morrissey songs so thank you to Andy for that!

If anyone knows the Smiths you would know that Morrissey was absolutely horrible to Andy. He struggled a lot/ drug addiction and Morrissey said f*** All. "You're No Longer a Smith" written on a postcard, slapped on Andys car window shield. don't gulp up MOZ and his bs. #andyrourke

And the moderators will most likely not allow any response that dare upset the fans. But you must accept both the greatness of Morrissey and the Nasty. That's what make Morrissey Morrissey.
You missed your chance with this crap while Andy Rourke was alive. Now is not the time. Back under your rock with you and come back out when you've gained some class.

Yes, Mirrissey was harsh on Andy in the period that he was struggling with drugs. Morrissey is very paranoid about the use of drugs in his enourage, and will probably never tolerate it. But Andy was let back in after he had sorted out his problems. And Morrissey continued to work with Andy in the early years of his solo career until, for various reasons, he decided to leave the ghosts of th Smiths past behind him. You could have been a bit more balanced.
There’s more tolerance of opinions here than you’d expect. Some forum members may dislike your mail because they disagree with you. That’s all.

Funny how folks here always critical of Morrissey on the Smiths frankly awful deal, Morrissey and Marr did that. 40% each!!!! Leaving 10%each for the other 2. A shameful deal that Marr always escapes criticism for (except by the judge). But as said not the day for such. RIP Andy all that needs said.

Funny how folks here always critical of Morrissey on the Smiths frankly awful deal, Morrissey and Marr did that. 40% each!!!! Leaving 10%each for the other 2. A shameful deal that Marr always escapes criticism for (except by the judge). But as said not the day for such. RIP Andy all that needs said.

Marr paid up and Morrissey didn't, he let it fester. Marr, Rourke and Joyce were also about 19 or 20 when that deal was struck, not much more than boys. Morrissey was older and was the architect of that deal.

As for Morrissey's statements regarding Andy in the past (Post Smiths), a lot also relates to the trial that ended in late 96. It is in the nature of many, not all, people to say things to offend perceived enemies in the greatest anger when money and pride is at stake. After all, Andy and Morrissey wrote songs together and Morrissey felt he had a kind of well-fitting Smiths corset live and in the studio in 88/89. In the end, everyone has the right to find the words that are right for them and Morrissey does it here. He knows the implications of what happened and does so appropriately and with dignity.

Last edited:
wore one of my smiths t-shirts when i was out last night as a tribute to andy,good guy and a great bass player,nice statement from M as well,short but very sweet.

It is the nature of life that sometimes we are nasty and horrible to people we love and are fond of. It shouldn't be so but it is. It's called human nature. Maybe getting kicked out of the band helped Andy get clean. Who knows? Best not to judge behaviour and relationships that you really have no knowledge of.

Let's see your proof. Moz never denied saying it and fought tooth and nail to not pay them a cent. It's easy to act nice now. Costs him nothing and gains the respect of fools

Which bands were these? For 25 years after the Smiths, Johnny was a session guitarist. He was working with established bands, he didn't have any set-up where he would have been able to choose the musicians or easily slide a bassist in. And when he did go solo in 2013 and finally put together a band, he was trying to do what Morrissey had done - prove there was life after the Smiths. You can't really do that by taking the same people along.

As for the comment about Johnny being Andy's muse - it's sweet but it doesn't make sense. If you're a working musician and you want to earn money, you have to fend for yourself, make opportunities for yourself, take what comes along without too many conditions and that's what Johnny did. Do you think he would have joined two-bit nobodies like the Cribs if there had been a wealth of other options at the time? He was not compelled to carry Andy all through his life, there were times when JM was barely breaking even from his projects.

Not a disss on Johnny, but I did wonder why Andy was not in his solo band, I think fans would have enjoyed that

Back
Top Bottom