Morrissey Central "BBC AXE STEVE WRIGHT" (July 5, 2022)

il_570xN.3559006310_sosq_fveo96.jpg

"Steve Wright … thank you for playing everything from 'Panic' to 'Wedding Bell Blues' … and, in between, Patti Smith, and also Grumpy And The Banshees. We heard. We listened. You did your best. Thank you!"
- Morrissey.

Nice tribute there from Moz. Used to love the SW show while driving home.

So he was axed not hung? Morrissey holds no grudges, and was only joking all along.

He hates to see them go. We all go.

‘Grumpy And The Banshees’ :lbf:

I guess people change over time, but considering "Hang the DJ" was written about Steve Wright, this is some turnaround to end up giving a tribute. :lbf:

He forgot playing I Have Forgiven Jesus when nobody else did.
Given the mythos surrounding Panic's creation & the generally negative view of anything 'daytime' on Radio 1 back then - I'm guessing he's referring more to later day (and noticeably more mellow) Wright. The mild animosity/antagonism in the mid 80's seemed real enough at the time - to at least 'hardcore' fans like myself & friends.
Regards,
FWD.

I reckon Moz will open the next sold out MOZ VEGAS show with ‘Panic’ and replace the lyric “Hang the DJ” with “Axe the DJ”, much to the delight of the foreign loonies from Brittttinnnn who flew out to MOZ VEGAS to see California’s Son perform. Nnnnnnnnnnit mate.

I reckon Moz will open the next sold out MOZ VEGAS show with ‘Panic’ and replace the lyric “Hang the DJ” with “Axe the DJ”, much to the delight of the foreign loonies from Brittttinnnn who flew out to MOZ VEGAS to see California’s Son perform. Nnnnnnnnnnit mate.
I reckon he's coming to the UK and you said he wouldn't.

Didn’t he interview Moz at one point?

Didn’t he interview Moz at one point
Steve Wright: Now, are you OK with me asking you the question that you probably don't want me to ask you about? You know the one.
Johnny: Sure, go for it.
Steve Wright: When did you last talk to Morrissey, or have any contact with him?
Johnny: I guess, 18 years ago. Maybe 15?
Steve Wright: Wow. And so, what are the chances of you ever maybe working together in the future?
Johnny: Zero.

And that was that.

Clarification (March 1, 2022):
The exact wording of Steve's question to Johnny was:

"So what do you see in the future for any kind of personal professional relationship with Morrissey? Could that ever happen?"

To which Johnny replied: "Oh let me think about that...zero?" (cue laughter)

JM cursed SW

Steve Wright has been stealing a living for at least 15 years - exactly the same show every day- every week- every month - radio 2 are in a PANIC ironically because they are losing listeners by the thousands to BOOM radio - a real station with real knowledgeable djs - from the days of early broadcasting and pirate radio - while radio 2 trundles out the pap pop - BOOM are not afraid to play for eg a sandie shaw B side and not have a playlist as such - give me David Hamilton at 12 instead of Jeremy Vine any day of the week- he has forgot more about music than that prick Vine will ever know

He forgot playing I Have Forgiven Jesus when nobody else did.
Given the mythos surrounding Panic's creation & the generally negative view of anything 'daytime' on Radio 1 back then - I'm guessing he's referring more to later day (and noticeably more mellow) Wright. The mild animosity/antagonism in the mid 80's seemed real enough at the time - to at least 'hardcore' fans like myself & friends.
Regards,
FWD.
Yah. And similar to the old Moz-Bob Smith feud he changed his stance after a few decades. The passage of time isn't always a sickening crime.

I drove by the Killarney INEC today while on holidays. Right past the door. Thinking how unlikely it is I'll be at it in September. Gnashes and grinds teeth

Not a shred of respect for people while they’re alive. Quite the opposite. …but first to jump on the obit, once they’re dead, provided they mentioned his name - somewhere along the line.

Stay classy, Melvis.

Marr certainly. Morrissey—I’m not so sure.
Morrissey did indeed appear for an interview on the Steve Wright show on BBC Radio 2.

13th December, 2004.

It isn't on YouTube, but some kind soul typed up a transcript in the comments in the link above.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom