Bauhaus Thread

Lonsdale71

I was a big Bauhaus fan as a teen. I have recently sort of "rediscovered" them again. Bauhaus were *fantastic*......glam, punk, make up, Bowie, Iggy, Dracula films, post punk, etc.

Any views?

I've been in a Bauhaus mood ever since seeing Peter play his Secret Covers tour the other month. The 8 new songs he played bode well for his upcoming album.

they're re-releasing the first 2 albums in multi disc deluxe format(2 discs for the first, 3 for the second...rarities, alt. mixes and live stuff) and if you order both from Beggars Banquet, they'll throw in an additional disc:

"… AND REMAINS is made up from alternative mixes / takes and live recordings that were superfluous to the two Omnibus Editions and we’re offering it as a bonus thank you to fans who pre-order both of the box sets direct from this site.

TRACK LISTING
1. Bela Lugosi’s Dead – Tomb Raider Mix
This is a new mix based on the Hammersmith Palais ’81 live performance (the same as on ‘Press The Eject’). It has a constant rhythm (the live take starts at a gallop, quickly slowing to a canter) and uses a studio vocal that was added to the multi-track.
2. Terror Couple Kill Colonel – Spaceward Studio 24 April 1980
There are already 3 versions of TCKC on the box set (that’s enough) but this version was briefly available (by accident) on a re-press of the vinyl single and quickly withdrawn.
3. Double Dare – Southern Studio Mix #1
The unreleased mix #4 is on the box set but this is an earlier take.
4. A God In An Alcove
5. Poison Pen
6. Hollow Hills
Recorded at University Of London Union 31 October 1980. We wanted to include a live disc with ‘In The Flat Field’ Omnibus Edition but only one official recording was made of a show (at ULU). The tape was a live monitor mix so the sound balance was way out with Daniel’s guitar recorded far too low in the mix. Sadly there were no multi-tracks so a re-mix wasn’t possible. These are the only 3 tracks worth salvaging from the tape. It’s a shame, as audience bootlegs show that Bauhaus were always a dynamic live band right from their early shows.
7. Poem
Recorded at Space Place, Chicago 9 September 1980
This is from a bootleg and it’s a bit of fun that Peter employed during some of the 1980 shows. .

In the Flat Field:
This re-mastered set includes In The Flat Field restored to it's original sequence plus a 2nd disc of the non-album singles, previously unreleased out-takes and alternative versions. This Omnibus Edition is presented as a limited edition box set with the two CD's in Japanese-style paper sleeves, reproducing the original vinyl cover art, accompanied by a 48 page book that chronologically details the genesis of the album with rare memorabilia and photographs and contains the complete lyrics.

Mask:
The re-mastered set includes Mask, a second disc of the non-album singles, previously unreleased demos and alternative versions plus a newly mixed 1981 live show on the third disc."

So it's 6 total cds worth for @ $50 from Beggars site. Cheaper than from Amazon plus the limited edition bonus disc.

Peter Murphy = Legend

murphy-07.jpg

I love Bauhaus. In The Flat Field and Mask are ace!

Speaking of: @ the end of this month, both of these releases will be "re released" as 2-3 disc "omnibus editions", with a ton of extra stuff on them. I've already placed orders for both, as they are my favorite Bauhaus discs. Plus, I'm pretty sure, they will also be re-releasing these on 180 gram vinyl as well, as 2 lp editions.

...I really liked the Murphy/Mick Karn "Dali's car" album.....but had it stolen ....
And I am old enough to remember the "Proto" Goths dancing all "Vamper-ey" to Bela Lugosi's dead in the local new Romantic bar.......very scary indeed....

I love them. I listen to them when I want to feel happier, but it's one of those rare days where Morrissey and Joy Division feel like they might not do the trick. I like funking about to Kick in the Eye. It reminds me of Barbarism Begins at Home.

they're re-releasing the first 2 albums in multi disc deluxe format(2 discs for the first, 3 for the second...rarities, alt. mixes and live stuff) .....

So it's 6 total cds worth for @ $50 from Beggars site. Cheaper than from Amazon plus the limited edition bonus disc.

I used the coupon code "surveysays" and got 15% off (I just searched in Google for a coupon code, was all) ... so w/ shipping to US it came to $42.75. I hope this helps other cashstrapped folk.

I saw Peter Murphy on Secret Covers Tour last night - stunning show.

I saw the coupon code thing but never thought at the time to google it....ah well, live and learn. got an email saying the bonus disc wasn't ready in time and will be shipped a few days after the box sets get shipped at no extra cost.

and there are several boots of the Secret Covers tour out there...

Beggars Banquet have re-released the first 2 Bauhaus albums on "Omnibus" release.
- "In The Flatfield" comes with 2 CDs & booklet.
- "Mask" comes with 3 CDs & booklet.

They are WELL worth getting if you're a Bauhaus fan. The packaging & booklets are fantastic. Loads of old press clippings, photos, etc. The live CD that comes with "Mask" is pretty good: Raw live sound, very hard. As Bauhaus should be! Love it! :guitar:

Also, Peter Murphy's 2nd album "Love Hysteria" is worth getting. there are some *stunning* tracks! A forgotten Gem.

...I really liked the Murphy/Mick Karn "Dali's car" album.....but had it stolen ....
And I am old enough to remember the "Proto" Goths dancing all "Vamper-ey" to Bela Lugosi's dead in the local new Romantic bar.......very scary indeed....

Dali's Car! This was an album by Pete Murphy & Mick Karn (from Japan). Wow, what a master piece. I love it. A great mix of Bauhaus & Japan. Really love that album. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom