'Barbarism...' German single release promo poster 1985, original

'Johnny wants to know can we play Barbarism again?' Which spring 1984 European show?

• Paris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hamburg

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

Chris Adams

I've had this since the early 1990s, an original promo poster from the release of 'Barbarism...' as a German single in 1985. It's not mint, with a couple of minor stains and folds but it's a damned rare item given that European Smiths promo items were far more scarce than British ones. It's on auction here, starting price £9.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/262859170401?

German_poster.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Like I said, I thought they were Rough Trade promo posters too but apparently not so. Just passing on a tuppeny bits worth of 2nd hand knowledge. I have paid decent money for this poster in the past so to hear it is no more than a fan made print was unwanted info indeed. Why do you still hide behind anonymous posts for anyway? I recognise your bitchin' a mile off.

I doubt very much that they are unlicensed posters. For one thing, the Viv Nicholson image seems to be taken from a promotional image created to be used for the record sleeve not just copied directly from the sleeve. Bootleg posters ALWAYS look worse definition-wise than official product. That is not the case here.

I got mine directly from a German record store and there is no way they were promoting this back in the 80's using bootleg posters.

This 'back of Record Collector now a huge company' have sold one:
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=382163
There are fake ones, but they are 'usually' found with a white border.
Passions validates its existence as 'real':
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/barbarism
There's even one listed for £800 by some unhinged person via a cursory Google search.
If I'd had the foresight, I'd of bought every poster stocked by Badlands in Cheltenham in the mid Haties - before they moved, they probably had the UK's biggest selection of music posters - including subway posters and huge 7-8' tour posters for QID and a wonderful boy with lollipop tour poster - I could have probably retired by now.
I wouldn't doubt the validity of this.
Kind regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Haha, that's exactly how I got mine, back in the day trawling through the music mags and hoping to come across something. Back then, you sent a cheque and waited for the goods and not once did I ever get ripped off; unlike now!!

This is the bootleg version

av3bet.jpg
Thank you. Yes, I have seen this. And, as I mentioned before, you can easily tell it's a copy/fake because the quality of the artwork is so inferior to that of that of the actual record sleeve.

That sure is fake compared to the older one, but you would have thought that there would be a Rough Trade logo or something to identify the label, it is supposed to be a promo poster after all. I do not speak German, can someone translate what is written on this poster?

Back
Top Bottom