Barbarism Begins at Home 12"

Virgil Tracy

Good Evening West 'am!
A friend has a 12inch copy of the Barbarism Begins At Home, which he picked up from a record fair in Spain, not sure it's a spanish version though. It has no B side.

Couple of questions,

1. Why has it got, DJ copy - Not for Resale printed on it?

2. What do you think it is worth, is it rare?

3. Is it common for DJ issues to be pressed on 12inch?

Re: Help With Record

it's the uk, one sided promo for meat is murder, issue to dj's and radio stations. pinch it and sell:)

Try here:
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/smiths-d17bbss.htm

And then here:
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/smiths-d14mim.htm

It might be a promo for Meat is Murder...
Promotion:
UK: The album was promoted in the UK with white label copies of the LP format. It is not impossible that promo stickers were slipped inside some copies. A month before the release of the album, two different promo-only 12" of "Barbarism Begins At Home" were sent to radio, both numbered RTT171 (view artwork in left frame). The first featured only the album version and the other had both the album version and a 3:48 edit. They usually came with a 2-page press release/crowd response form.​

Or it could be a test pressing? There are others on here who know more about test pressings than I do.

No idea what it's worth...
If it's test pressing - could be £75, if promo could be £50

http://uk.geocities.com/stuartincambodia/record_collector.htm

Dave

Having re-read your post - scrub my comments about test pressing - if it's got DJ only on it then it's not a test, but a promo. Probably the one mentioned in Passions...possibly worth £50 (in a pre-credit crunch market).

Oi, That's mine! I saw you had your eyes on it yesterday.....typical cockney! ;)

Promo record, that makes sense. I got it from a record stall at Benicassm a few years back. The bloke didn't speak much English so I couldn't really ask him much about it. Thanks for the insight though, intresting to know. To be honest I got it because I like the cover!

I also picked up 7" album versions of The Smiths and Hatful but I'm thinking these are re-presses? They have numbers on them, 2936 and 1219 respectivley

Oi, That's mine! I saw you had your eyes on it yesterday.....typical cockney! ;)

Promo record, that makes sense. I got it from a record stall at Benicassm a few years back. The bloke didn't speak much English so I couldn't really ask him much about it. Thanks for the insight though, intresting to know. To be honest I got it because I like the cover!

I also picked up 7" album versions of The Smiths and Hatful but I'm thinking these are re-presses? They have numbers on them, 2936 and 1219 respectivley

i think you mean the 10"s which were re-released in the early 90s

there isnt much too them , they were limited and released on WEA . they were reprints of the originals in the 10" format . i bought them at the time 93 i think it was just after the CD singles for this charming man , how soon is now and there is a light were re issued

dont think they are hugely scarce , as you can still pick them up without hassle

you can see them here

http://www.rockfiles.co.uk/RockFiles_files/Smiths4.html

or read about them here

www.passionsjustlikemine.com

Anyone know who the cover star is and what movie it's from?

The Beast is right, and it's from a book rather than a film.

From a book? I figured it was just from a newspaper, as there were throngs to photograph her as she went to London to gather her lotto winnings.

From a book? I figured it was just from a newspaper, as there were throngs to photograph her as she went to London to gather her lotto winnings.

As ever, Stephane comes to the rescue:
Artwork information:
This has Viv Nicholson at the pithead, from her 1977 book "Spend Spend Spend". Another photo from the same book had already been used for the "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" single. In 1988 Morrissey chose a third photo of Viv Nicholson to appear on the "Headmaster Ritual" cd-single.

The artwork is repeated on the back of the 7"s and 12"s in black and white.​

There was a discussion on one of the forums a few weeks ago about the book and where to get a copy...

Back
Top Bottom