Bands you can't "get"

Teenage Fanclub who always promised so much but always disappointed. They felt like that book you never quite got into. I wonder why indie fans loved them so much cause it would be hard to classify their music style. I'd say their genre would be lo fi blues or something.

Yeah, I never understood the hype for this lot. Bought one of their albums once but the music just chugs along at one pace with bland clichéd lyrics and forgettable singing. Even the melodies aren't that great. Baffling - must just be mates with lots of music journalists.

Yeah, I never understood the hype for this lot. Bought one of their albums once but the music just chugs along at one pace with bland clichéd lyrics and forgettable singing. Even the melodies aren't that great. Baffling - must just be mates with lots of music journalists.
Had to bite my tongue when come locals were off to one of their gigs on their ongoing tour. Someone even claimed that I had been to one of their gigs in Stockholm back in the 90's.
I plead the fifth.

Led Zep........most hard rock.........Public Enemy........too much shouting............most dance music.....music to have a migraine to.

The Scissor Sisters. No. If your tunes are that unmemorable, you can't ever be that smug. Britpop. Too self-reverential and derivative. Anything with AutoTune. Please....just don't. X-Factor winners. You'll be forgotten in six months. Go away.

The Scissor Sisters. No. If your tunes are that unmemorable, you can't ever be that smug. Britpop. Too self-reverential and derivative. Anything with AutoTune. Please....just don't. X-Factor winners. You'll be forgotten in six months. Go away.

If you're interested in electronic music to any degree, autotune is actually a really interesting 'instrument' - the likes of Kanye West (hate his lyrics, but my point here stands) and (more impressively) Bon Iver have employed autotune as an experimental tool in left-field music rather than a correcting facility for banal pop. If you're not really into electronic genres, that's totally cool; but I wouldn't write off autotune objectively - it's got quite a lot of similarities tonally to the unpredictable modulations of the earlier analogue equipment :)

Poor Hoffychops needs Vitamins C & D (along with regular exercise and a life) if the posts are anything to go by, poppet. :)[/QUOTE

fdfdg.gif

Sonic Youth. But it's not that I can't get them. They just suck.

I thought that for ages. I tried everything: "Goo" for popularity; "Confusion Is Sex" for chronology. And then I accidentally heard the whole of the 25 minute "The Diamond Sea" and my mind was changed :) Try it out!

Well, the list is quite long:
The Beatles
David Bowie
Prince
U2
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd (post-Syd Barrett)
Radiohead
The Cure

The Cure.

They’re a million miles apart. The Smiths excite me. When I hear The Cure I just want to turn them off or leave the room. Robert Smiths voice isn’t at all to my liking.

For me it began with Disintegration cause before that they only released childrens music. Saw them live once which I would not want to force upon anyone cause it was literally less lively than a bunch of old men in wheelchairs.

It is easy to make fun of Robert and the 3 words that make up every song so it rhymes well. The great songs they made were dark and depressive like you want it to be sometimes.

I mostly only hear the bass to be honest cause that is what I enjoy the most when hearing them. Larry Mullen JR managed to be the most boring bassist the world has ever heard and seen and it was often impossible to hear any bass at all.

If not for the bassist The Cure and New Order and a host of bands would have been nothing.

Even Sean Penn made fun of Robert Smith in this movie free and legal for all:

https://gomovies.sc/movie/this-must-be-the-place-2011/watching/?ep=1

The Beatles.

I actually come from Liverpool, so I always get blank stares when they realise that I’m not a fan of them..

It’s not like they’re bad or anything, I’ve just always found them boring, I guess.

f*** you.

Limp Biscuit wouldn't come to my birthday party

A band that I get and nobody else seems to. They're the most over the top baroque goth, but unlike anything else out there.

Thanks for the introduction. Love this.

They’re a million miles apart. The Smiths excite me. When I hear The Cure I just want to turn them off or leave the room. Robert Smiths voice isn’t at all to my liking.

I like them both, although I think The Smiths are in a completely different league. And I agree, I don't see any essential similarity between them at all. Lyrically, the Cure is vague, inwardly emotional and pictorial. Perhaps it is not coincidental that Robert Smith's best lyrics basically paraphrases someone else - Camus (Killing an Arab) and Baudelaire (How Beautiful you are). Musically, they have good songs, and occasionally interesting and innovative ones. But they are not a band to take seriously in the way you do With The smiths, either lyrically or musically.

I see "Disintegration" has its fans here, as elsewhere. Who think that's when they got serious. It isn't. "Disintegration" moved them to the space inhabited by the likes of Fields of the Nephilim, and is a deeply boring and profoundly unremarkable record, predictable to the point of being programmatic, content to eschew songwriting in favor of mere atmospherics. And with god-awful lyrics (Lullaby. Love Song.). They were at their best when they did melodious post-punk early on. And when they did a bit of everything on "Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom