Bands you can't "get"

Am I the blackest white boy, or the whitest black boy? Am I a boy at all? Still, if you can't get with soul, you have none.
The blacks don't like you stealing their mojo, not that you ever succeeded. Somehow a flat white arse moving to soul music is wrong on all levels. Stick to the graffiti you social misfit.

Rap and hiphop cause it always ends up being so annoying. Talentless people with no hope of a decent living making complete fools of themselves and dying young. Every musician uses drugs and are very bad examples for our future generations.
Ban all music now!

ea571efc5c351a06d9be564382249196--humor.jpg

Mudhoney for obvious reasons and it is really hard to get my head around people actually listening to it although they of course only do cause they are terrorist lefties who will never see a revolution in real life so maybe a 2 1/2 minute song by Mudhoney compensates for it.
It is a close call between them and Misfits for the worst band ever in history. You cannot call it music even if you had a good day and are feeling a bit more nice than normal and no you can't even be kind and call it anything other than shit cause it is.

Hmm, I’m not like that I guess, if it’s good?
I like it, so I like lots all over the map really music wise and there are like 500 bands/artists/singers I love or did at one time...

Ramones!

You know their fans are confused when they cannot even agree what to label that "music". It really is a contest between them and Kiss for the most awful band members in history and just imagine the stench of garlic.

The Cocteau Twins. All of that flange-heavy gauzy baby babble is just entirely lost on me. I like lyrics.

The Cocteau Twins. All of that flange-heavy gauzy baby babble is just entirely lost on me. I like lyrics.
I was really into the Cocteau Twins back in the 80s. I liked the ethereal mood of Garlands and Treasures.

I will confess I’ve never really gotten Captain Beefheart. Since you’ve been introducing your daughter to him, maybe you can break it down for me, too. I used to have a boyfriend that listened to him all the time and it drove me from the room. Or maybe that’s the point??!!!

I was really into the Cocteau Twins back in the 80s. I liked the ethereal mood of Garlands and Treasures.

I will confess I’ve never really gotten Captain Beefheart. Since you’ve been introducing your daughter to him, maybe you can break it down for me, too. I used to have a boyfriend that listened to him all the time and it drove me from the room. Or maybe that’s the point??!!!
I can't stand Captain Beefheart either. I know I'll just echo the sentiments of parents at the time, but it's just a bunch of noise!

Cocteau Twins really irk me, because I think with a different vocalist, and minus the baby babble, they'd be a band I really enjoy. The music is lush to the nth degree, but what Elisabeth Frasier does is akin to taking half a bottle of Valium, and attempting to scat over non-jazz music. She's cuckoo, and some people dig it, but I'm not among them.

I can't stand Captain Beefheart either. I know I'll just echo the sentiments of parents at the time, but it's just a bunch of noise!

Cocteau Twins really irk me, because I think with a different vocalist, and minus the baby babble, they'd be a band I really enjoy. The music is lush to the nth degree, but what Elisabeth Frasier does is akin to taking half a bottle of Valium, and attempting to scat over non-jazz music. She's cuckoo, and some people dig it, but I'm not among them.
Some of her stuff I hear exactly as that, too, though. But the earlier CT I still like, as her voice is really more of an instrument. So do you feel the same about Portishead? Cause they feel like an evolutionary step from CT for me.

The husband is a massive Tinderstick fan, been dragged all over the U.K. and Europe to see them but I still can work up any interest. Took a photo of my Moz to show him off to everyone, only later realised the poster in the background, that band haunt me.

The husband is a massive Tinderstick fan, been dragged all over the U.K. and Europe to see them but I still can work up any interest. Took a photo of my Moz to show him off to everyone, only later realised the poster in the background, that band haunt me.
Frakkin husbands, dragging wives places :mad:

Frakkin husbands, dragging wives places :mad:
Worst thing is he doesn’t drive ! I driven to Germany, Holland, France, Belgium as well as around Northern England just to watch a Stuart Staples dirge although we had a good weekend in Liverpool when they were at the Philharmonic Hall a couple of years ago, love Liverpool

Some of her stuff I hear exactly as that, too, though. But the earlier CT I still like, as her voice is really more of an instrument. So do you feel the same about Portishead? Cause they feel like an evolutionary step from CT for me.
Portishead do one thing, and they do it really well. They're one of a very few shows that I traveled for, only to walk out before it was over. Not that the show was bad or anything, I just decided I was done with spending my hard earned money to be incredibly depressed by the music. I think Portishead were a weird hybrid of Goth and Hip Hop, and I really appreciate them for what they are, and how fresh they sounded when they came out. I think their music has aged pretty well, too. But I couldn't really compare them to Cocteau Twins on account of the clearly enunciated lyrics.

Sorry gang, but The New York Dolls top my list. They are like Twisted Sister without a hit song. :tiphat:

I don’t think theyre like twisted sister but I do think they’re one of those bands who’s story is much much more interesting than there music

I have been contemplating this idea of "getting" a singer/band, and I find that I gravitated the most to the music that spoke the strongest to me during certain periods in my life. It is this personal combination of the music, connection to the world, and inner feelings at that moment in time that opens a lock to one's heart and/or head that elevates a certain artist or bands' music beyond that which the casual listener would get. These have been mentioned here, but all marked a time in my life that I can look back on fondly, and with gratitude:

s-l300.jpg
220px-Radiohead.bends.albumart.jpg

220px-NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg
220px-Portishead_-_Dummy.png

Teenage Fanclub who always promised so much but always disappointed. They felt like that book you never quite got into. I wonder why indie fans loved them so much cause it would be hard to classify their music style. I'd say their genre would be lo fi blues or something.

Back
Top Bottom