Bands you can't "get"

I dunno, I find that one particularly poignant. Probably because I relate so much to the middle age theme of the record when Bloodflowers came out and how terrified Robert has stated he is of aging. Just so moving, that long intro and the lyrics.

I dunno, I find that one particularly poignant. Probably because I relate so much to the middle age theme of the record when Bloodflowers came out and how terrified Robert has stated he is of aging. Just so moving, that long intro and the lyrics.

God, and this one even tops that, and was never officially released! “That’s the story of my life...” -

I don't think I ever know
If I ever really want it
Could be why I'm never sure
If I ever really got it

And I guess it's maybe easier
Not to think too much about it...
A house, a car, a family and friends...

Yeah, all it means to justify the ends

But sometimes... I wonder...
In the back of my mind
Sometimes... I wonder...
If I'm wasting all my time
Sometimes... I wonder...
If I'm putting off my real life...

What I could've done,
Where I could've been
When I should've gone,
Why I should've seen
Who I would've loved,
How I would've dreamed
And if it's always, always too late...

I don't think I ever know
That I ever really need it
Could be why I'm never sure
That I ever really feel it

And I think it's maybe easier
To guess I really mean it...
A house! A car! A family and friends!

Yeah, all it means to justify the ends

A girl! A smile! A holiday and sex!

Yeah all it takes
To make sense of the rest

In the back of my mind
Sometimes... I wonder...
If I'm killing all my time

Sometimes... I wonder...
If I'm giving up my real life...

What I could've done,
Where I could've been
When I should've gone,
Why I should've seen
Who I would've loved,
How I would've dreamed
And if it's always, always too late...

And every day that I let slide
Is one day more I never try
To break the world
To make my fate
And with every day that I let go
It's one day less I ever know
If it's always
Always too late...

Antony and The Johnsons aka Ahnoni. Gooey, self-indulgent and CREEPY. Yet dull.

Because it sounds like 50 other songs they've written? And I like the Cure....
That is a funny angle to take on a Morrissey forum. I would feel remiss if I didn't point that out. If you compare an overall "style" between the two bands, I would have to say that The Cure have dabbled in nearly every style they could musically for good or bad, when Morrissey until incredibly recently stuck with a very similar emotional delivery and musical style. In fact, that's the biggest complaint I've heard from people who don't like Morrissey (beyond his personality) is that all of the songs sound the same.

Well, the list is quite long:
The Beatles
David Bowie
Prince
U2
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd (post-Syd Barrett)
Radiohead
The Cure

For some reason the bands that were an annoyance in the 90's came to my mind.
Nirvana... and then all those New York City Hardconre crossover bands (Agnostic Front, Sick of it all, Biohazard, etc).

I do remember a time when everyone had a Biohazard tattoo!

I agree about the ny hardcore bands you mentioned. I liked snapcase. You can add the cro mags to that list

The Beatles
David Bowie
Prince
U2
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Radiohead
The Cure
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Prince%20What.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mcpb7lrxzi1robleeo3_500.gif

giphy.gif

81550828c0f6ac39fab6410410aa6a1a.gif

I always thought Nirvana were vastly over rated, sounded like the Pixies but with all of the interesting stuff taken out.

Green Day, I don't get those one bit.

Metallica.

The Cure.

I really don’t understand the popularity and longevity of this band. Don’t even get me started on how anyone who likes The Smiths and/or Morrissey can also like them. Yes, it’s personal choice, and none of my bloody business, but I just don’t get it.

The Beatles
David Bowie
Prince
U2
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Radiohead
The Cure

If you remove Prince, U2, and Sabbath from that list, all of those artists are probably in my top ten :lbf: Agree with Prince though, never got him at all.

I guess a lot of the newer bands, like Arcade Fire, The National, and LCD Soundsystem. They have some decent tunes but nothing that really blows me away. Maybe I haven't given them enough of a chance.

The Cure.

I really don’t understand the popularity and longevity of this band. Don’t even get me started on how anyone who likes The Smiths and/or Morrissey can also like them. Yes, it’s personal choice, and none of my bloody business, but I just don’t get it.

Personally, I love The Cure. Interested to know why anyone who likes The Smiths wouldn't like them also, I would have thought the opposite tbh.

Personally, I love The Cure. Interested to know why anyone who likes The Smiths wouldn't like them also, I would have thought the opposite tbh.

I liked them up until Disintegration, lost interest after that. I bought Wish but that seemed to have a big drop in quality from everything they did before.

I'm a fan of a few other people's pet hates too, Zep, Sabbath, Prince, Anhoni, though not U2 obviously.

I liked them up until Disintegration, lost interest after that. I bought Wish but that seemed to have a big drop in quality from everything they did before.

I'm a fan of a few other people's pet hates too, Zep, Sabbath, Prince, Anhoni, though not U2 obviously.
I think Wish suffered because people were expecting Disintegration part II, but it was more of a callback to guitar heavy psychedelia like The Kiss, or Shake Dog Shake. I look at Wish (with the exception of Apart and Trust) as their "hippie" album. It doesn't hurt that at the time it came out I was dabbling in LSD and magic mushrooms, so there's a special place in my heart for all of those swirling flanged-out guitars. I think the wheels fell off when they released Moodswings because it was a thematic schizophrenic mess lacking any coherence and possessing some really weak writing. They definitely had some nice songs after, but as an "album" band, I think Wish was it.

This came out some 20 years after Disintegration, and lyrically and musically I think it stands up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom