Bands/Singers Morrissey Liked

My Balloon

I'm putting a list together of bands/singers Morrissey liked at one time or another. Not necessarily bands that influenced him, just stuff he liked.
So far I have:

New York Dolls
Roxy Music
Siouxsie
Magazine/Howard Devoto
James
The Go-Betweens (I think I remember him liking them)
The Jam
Suede?
Nancy Sinatra
Sandie Shaw
The Associates

I'm not sure if he liked the following:
Sex Pistols (he was at that show in Manchester)
The Fall/Joy Division/Buzzcocks - anyone know about these?
Teardrop Explodes - I seem to recall he was a Cope fan
Did he like Orange Juice?

Did he like Billy Bragg? I know they played a few shows together early on in The Smiths career, and of course Bragg covered Jeane.

Morrissey also likes

-Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin
-Brigitte Bardot
-The Sparks
-The Slits
-Loudon Wainright

-Patti Smith
-Jobriath
-Raymonde

Which raises another question: Do you think Moz could have been influenced by music he didn't like or care about?

Was he into Rockabilly before he met the lads?

- Damien Dempsey
- Angelic Upstarts
- Cockney Rejects
- David Bowie (but they fell out in 1995)

not to forget Kristeen Young.

Which raises another question: Do you think Moz could have been influenced by music he didn't like or care about?

Was he into Rockabilly before he met the lads?

You missed those Rockabilly Smiths tracks then? :)

He met the lads because he was into Rockabilly. He met them in the London Rock and Roll clubs.

You missed those Rockabilly Smiths tracks then? :)

He met the lads because he was into Rockabilly. He met them in the London Rock and Roll clubs.

Hmm, probably...at least there are no Rockabilly songs on "Viva Hate" and "Kill Uncle".

As far as the Smiths go "Shakespeare's Sister" is a Rockabilly-"ish" song, but i can't think of any other tracks right now. :o

Hmm, probably...at least there are no Rockabilly songs on "Viva Hate" and "Kill Uncle".

As far as the Smiths go "Shakespeare's Sister" is a Rockabilly-"ish" song, but i can't think of any other tracks right now. :o

well how about Rusholme Ruffians, which they used to play with an intro of Elvis's "His Latest Flame"...which i heard is the song that inspired Johnny's writing of the song.

oh and morrissey DID start the Cramps fan club! which i was very pleased to hear :D
so yes there were some early rockabilly roots

Rusholme Ruffians, What She Said and Rubber Ring are very much rockabilly influenced songs to me.

*edit*
vAndreav beat me to mention Rusholme Ruffians. :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom