Bands/Singers Morrissey Liked

He must LOVE them since he said he wants to be buried next to Johnny's statue in Hollywood.

PS. I have picked my spot as well. Right next to them both.

I have a radio interview where he talks quite a lot about the Ramones. Favourite track is Beat On The Brat :D Great taste!

Sparks (not 'The Sparks' as one poster incorrectly referred them to) are one of the very few bands that he has held an unflagging love and admiration for right to this day.

In fact, Morrissey's first foray into the press was in 1974 when he raved about buying their album "Kimono My House" which he dubbed 'album of the year'. The editor Charles Shaar Murray mocked his enthusiasm by saying "I haven't heard it yet. S'pose it's okay."

He came very close to working with them in 1991 when they invited him to make a techno record with them but then his musical career went off in the opposite direction.

In interviews you can hear him name a lot of people, back in the 80's he named some he never dared to name after. Like A-HA (he went to at least one show, and said he liked their music), and Echo and the bunnymen. Right now I can't remember more, but he's named a lot of artists.

It is a-ha. (Not A-HA).:cool:
And he dared evoke a-ha after that, as he sang the beginning of "The sun always shines on TV" during a concert at the Quart festival (Norway) in 2004;and Mikey played some notes of "Take on me" in Norway in 2006. Morrissey even introduced himself as Morten Harket.:rolleyes:

Well, i deliberately didnt count "Maries The Name, His Latest Flame", because it isnt a Smiths tune. And Elvis was never "Rockabilly" :)

Elvis started the 'rockabilly' movement with his 1955 Sun release 'Mystery Train'. The music and image of Rockabilly is taken from that record and Elvis's dress and hair from that same period.

Johnny Marr mentions his attempts to recreate the Sun sound in an early interview and plays the intro from 'Nowhere Fast' to demonstrate.

The Smiths are full of Rockabilly riffs, WDDIM, WSS, NF, ISSICF, IIRSS, to name a few!!!

Last edited:
The Primitives!! There are even pics of him wearing their shirt.

Elvis started the 'rockabilly' movement with his 1955 Sun release 'Mystery Train'. The music and image of Rockabilly is taken from that record and Elvis's dress and hair from that same period.

Johnny Marr mentions his attempts to recreate the Sun sound in an early interview and plays the intro from 'Nowhere Fast' to demonstrate.

The Smiths are full of Rockabilly riffs, WDDIM, WSS, NF, ISSICF, IIRSS, to name a few!!!

I stand corrected :o.

I think Moz liked The Polecats before he was in The Smiths.

Morrissey's letter to Robert Mackie pre-Smiffs: "The Polecats have just been on duh box destroying John, I'm Only Miming. Now if they REALLY had any imagination they'd shoot themselves." :p

Torr had transcribed the letters (of which I had provided photocopies), but it appears his site is down now.

Of course, Mozzer's opinions can change. But it made me laugh to think of his old letter complaining about how awful he thought Kate Bush's voice was and then he has someone sounding very much like her opening for more than 100 of his shows! Retrieved from the wayback machine, Torr typed out this bit: "Do you really like Kate Bush? I'm not surprised. The nicest thing I could say about her is that she's unbearable. That voice! Such trash! You'll learn, Sonny."

I seem to remember Morrissey also referred to Kate Bush as a "vile gorgon" in those letters, but I'm too lazy and frightened of the mess I'll find to dig up the document to check.

In interviews you can hear him name a lot of people, back in the 80's he named some he never dared to name after. Like A-HA (he went to at least one show, and said he liked their music), and Echo and the bunnymen. Right now I can't remember more, but he's named a lot of artists.

It is a-ha. (Not A-HA).:cool:
And he dared evoke a-ha after that, as he sang the beginning of "The sun always shines on TV" during a concert at the Quart festival (Norway) in 2004;and Mikey played some notes of "Take on me" in Norway in 2006. Morrissey even introduced himself as Morten Harket.:rolleyes:

If I may nitpick just a bit... I believe it is actually "a-Ha." They were my obsession until I heard a friend singing Smiths' lyrics and I was lost to those far more clever words. Seduced in four bars...and I've rarely been seduced in a bar.

Last edited:
TommyKorberg1.jpg

If I may nitpick just a bit... I believe it is actually "a-Ha." They were my obsession until I heard a friend singing Smiths' lyrics and I was lost to those far more clever words. Seduced in four bars...and I've rarely been seduced in a bar.
It is a-ha...(Not a-Ha, A-ha, A-HA.):)
The proof?
http://www.a-ha.com/

Back
Top Bottom